PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Departure control

boeingdriver213
25th Sep 2006, 03:10
Just a question that may have already been covered here in the past. When departing MDW westbound, we get radar vectored for a good hundred miles, recieving numerous turns before proceding on course. I know ORD traffic has a lot to do with it, but wouldn't a SID make more sense, or is ORD traffic to difficult to have a SID? Just wondering....

Scott Voigt
25th Sep 2006, 15:59
Driver;

Depending on which of the MANY operations that ORD is on, you would have to develop many SIDS that would work for the different wind configurations at ORD. Just a lot easier to do the vectors...

regards

Scott

boeingdriver213
25th Sep 2006, 16:09
Thanks. I guess I knew that. Always looking for some kind of method to their madness....

ogogog
27th Sep 2006, 12:48
for the first 40 miles off of mdw west bound the problem is we must miss the ord south depts and the ord arrivals from the south west fix, that means at times we have to do some vectoring to get the a/c climbed. if not you could be stuck at 4000 for 25 to 30 miles.it all depend on the config at ord and were the other a/c are, sometimes we can climb right away other times we cant, pluse it depends on a/c preformance we have to get you at 12000 ft to miss the ORD arrival traffic at 11000ft so we tend to vector a/c between the 10 mile gaps that the center is providing which takes a few vectors, as for what happens when you get to chicago centers airspace they have to blend the MDW/ south sat west track with the 2 ord west dept tracks, so depending on you fix they may need to do some criss crossing in their airspace.