PDA

View Full Version : ATC mikes

Sir Thomas
22nd Sep 2006, 19:03
Hello all,
I was wondering if you guys and girls use headsets or handheld mikes for your R/T as the volume atc broadcasts at is certainly very different from freq to freq.
When the other aircraft are louder than the controller (quite often), I find I have to turn down atc to a whisper just so I dont get deafened by every jet flying around in that sector.
As my PA's to the pax seem to be very different in volume and quality when using my headset or the handheld I was wondering if the type of mike is also the cause of that particular peculiarity, or does my type of aeroplane just have a crap intercom system( which is very possible btw:hmm: )?
any thoughts anyone?
Regards
ST

skiesfull
22nd Sep 2006, 19:29
If you find that you have to turn up the volume to hear ATC, then report it to them for their telecomms people to investigate - also if the volume is correct but muffled. Sometimes a different mic. or transmitter will improve reception, but only if they are made aware of the problem. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for HF comms!!!!

Gonzo
22nd Sep 2006, 19:56
It could just be something as simple as one ATCO has the mike close to the mouth, and the next has it up to two inches away....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Sep 2006, 07:17
When they believe that things are quiet some ATCOs are prone to dispense with their headset and use a hand mic. At West Drayton these used to look like telephone handsets with a PTT in the side. The quality from these is not only diabolical, they don't have noise cancelling mics so they transmit all sorts of rubbish.

Talkdownman
23rd Sep 2006, 09:46
............. they don't have noise cancelling mics so they transmit all sorts of rubbish..........no change there, then...........

KiloKilo
23rd Sep 2006, 11:16
Sometimes it can as well be a use of different systems. So is our back-up system a bit louder/more powerful, then the standard one.

Sir Thomas
23rd Sep 2006, 12:56
thx for the replies guys

ST

Mooncrest
23rd Sep 2006, 16:35
ATC generally use headset mikes but the make/model and type of microphone vary from headset to headset and airport/centre to airport/centre. Radio transmitters and voice switches are equally variable. As recommended, if you suspect any fault on the ground report it so tels can check it out.

CUNIM
24th Sep 2006, 21:01
Many moons ago, I was oin Approach and a pilot on receiving my tx said that my R/T sounded as though I had my head in a bucket. Undaunted by his ripost, I quickly put a waste paper basket on my head (plastic bucket type)and did an R/T check - his reply 5 x 5 no problems. I replied that I had txed with my head in a bucket:ok::E Since then you may have seen a saddo sitting in the corner muttering into his personal bucket - take pity and caste the odd penny his way - he could be you in the future.:sad:

nibog
24th Sep 2006, 22:14
Headsets are to be used if supplied. But this isn't always the case, especialy during the quieter periods & nights.

I've noticed that the quality of comms in my facility can be different depending on which TX switch I use. The PTT on the headset cable/handset and PTT Pedal transmit fine but the Desk PTT button sends out pure ****e.

Suppose it depends on lots of factors: Headset/Handset quality, Communications equipment, Software issues, and local procedures & practices. Any low quality comms should be reported straight away on the frequency. If it's down to the controller's RT technique (or lack of) it should be sorted without delay. Spare headsets/handsets are always (sometimes) available. And if it's a hardware issue, we have main & standby transmitters and fall back comms.

renard
25th Sep 2006, 10:52
I have noticed that military controllers in the UK often sound different from their civilian counterparts.

In Germany, it seems that there is a noticable "click" when the controller finishes transmitting.

Any ideas?

Gonzo
25th Sep 2006, 11:34
Interesting point, I guess it's all down to different equipment. It's the same with aircraft. I can tell a United 777 is transmitting just by the sound of the background hum of the cockpit, similarly the BMI E145s are easily identifiable by the background cockpit noise.

Yes, ok, I'm that sad.......:suspect:

workformonkeys
26th Sep 2006, 18:28
What also happens quiet frequently when a sector is quiet is that the controller may slip their headset off their ears and let it rest around their neck and listen to a loudspeaker instead as it is more comfortable. However this normally means that the mike is further away from their mouth and tranmissions may not be as strong. It is quite common as allows a relief from pressure on ears but if it starts to get busy again the headset is just put back on quickly.