PDA

View Full Version : Danger Areas (132 & 133) and Flight Planning

Cricket23
21st Sep 2006, 19:47
Hi,

I'm planning to cross these 2 danger areas at around 08:30 on Monday 25th Sept and as part of my flight planning, I am trying to find out (before I get airborne) if they are going to be active.

However, whilst some danger areas have a telephone number to ring, the chart (1:500 000) for these areas merely has the Farnborough App freq, which is of course not a lot of use on the ground.

Is it possible to ring those nice people at Farnborough and ask, and if so, how do I find out what the number is please?

Any help would be appreciated. Tks

Regards,

C23

vintage ATCO
21st Sep 2006, 20:18
AIS website maybe . . . . http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/302LF01.PDF :eek:

Cricket23
21st Sep 2006, 20:35
Thanks. I hadn't appreciated that the telephone number listed for Farnborough ATC would also cover the folks who are Farnborough 125.25. :O
Confused? I know I am!
Thanks,
C23

Pierre Argh
22nd Sep 2006, 10:15
check the AIP, they should have a listing of the controlling authorities for every UK danger area... inc telephone no's.

chevvron
22nd Sep 2006, 16:22
At the time of writing this, there is no indication of activity above 1200ft amsl in 133 or above 850ft amsl (500agl) in 132 on 25 Sep, but by all means call 125.250 on the day; don't bother phoning ahead, you'll only get an assistant who'll have to ask a controller.
It's a good idea to bear in mind that many UK DA's have small arms ranges embedded in them with a danger height of 500ft agl (not amsl); these are active most days even if the DA itself isn't notified active. There are also many SA ranges which are 'standalone' eg Moody's Down near Chilbolton and RMA Sandhurst; they're all listed in the AIP in ENR 5.3.1.
Another good 'standalone' is Otmoor, to the north of Benson. It's marked on 1/2 mils only as an advisory bird sanctuary with a hazard up to 2000ft; on the southern edge facing north towards some lovely green fields is a SA range of 500yds (as far as I recall), hence it attracts people from local airfields doing PFLs, totally oblivious that they're directly in the firing line just over the butts!!