PDA

View Full Version : Crediting of instrument time

9M-
21st Sep 2006, 06:47
Hi all,
I know this might sound silly to some but i just want to make sure if this is practiced the same way around the world. Here it goes:

1) When a student flies with an instructor for a normal simulated instrument flight under the hood, say for 45mins instrument time & 1 hour total flight time. Will the student log 1 hour in the dual section and 45mins in the instrument column? or 15mins in the dual section and 45mins in the instrument column?

1a) The instructor will log P1 for this flight. Can he/she log it as instrument time? Since he/she is not under the hood but supervising. Or the instructor will have to log 1 hr as a normal P1 flight?

Hope to have some insight from instructors around the world. I am sure some countries will defer slightly from one another.

Dr Eckener
21st Sep 2006, 12:07
Standby for Beagle......

Why not do a search. This has been done to death many times before.

Whopity
21st Sep 2006, 14:50
It depends upon your national regulations.
The flight is all logged as DUAL because its instruction i.e. 1 hour.

The logging of IF is incidental to that process, you log however much of that hour that was actual IF. The times are concurrent, not cumulative.

Under JAA rules, the Instructor can only log IF if he is actually flying IF! Pre JAA, FIs often used to log IF when instructing!

Once you have logged enough hours IF to obtain an ATPL (100 hours) then it has little or no value logging any more, except that in the UK The ANO says you must.

BEagle
21st Sep 2006, 15:33
I concur with Whopity.

....and I know that he works for people who live in a big grey building just of the M23, so his comments are absolutely correct!

Dr Eckener
21st Sep 2006, 15:56
Nice to know you have finally come round to everyone else's way of thinking Beagle.

BEagle
21st Sep 2006, 23:44
".....the Instructor can only log IF if he is actually flying IF!"

That has always been view, Dr Oetker! I did not support the view of some that an FI watching a student flying in actual IF could log the IF time as well.

Dr Eckener
22nd Sep 2006, 17:03
Sorry Bagel. Guess I optimistically misread the post. Anyway, my views are previously stated, but the ANO states this:

Particulars of each flight during which the holder of the log book acted either as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft or for the purpose of qualifying for the grant or renewal of a licence under this Order, as the case may be, shall be recorded in the log book at the end of each flight or as soon thereafter as is reasonably practicable, including:
(a) the date, the places at which the holder embarked on and disembarked from the aircraft and the time spent during the course of a flight when he was acting in either capacity;
(b) the type and registration marks of the aircraft;
(c) the capacity in which the holder acted in flight;
(d) particulars of any special conditions under which the flight was conducted, including night flying and instrument flying; and
(e) particulars of any test or examination undertaken whilst in flight.

Not that I expect the issue to ever be resolved here.

BEagle
22nd Sep 2006, 21:19
OOPS! Sorry, Dr E - I confused you with that pizza chap!

Sorry.

Whopity
24th Sep 2006, 08:50
JAR-FCL 1.001

Instrument time:

Instrument flight time or instrument ground time.

Instrument flight time:
Time during which a pilot is controlling an aircraft in flight solely by reference to instruments.

Instrument ground time:
Time during which a pilot is receiving instruction in simulated instrument flight in synthetic training devices (STDs).

BEagle
24th Sep 2006, 11:21
Absolutely!

But there are those who somehow consider that 'controlling' includes watching a student flying, arguing that it is analagous to controlling an autopilot in a large aeroplane.....:rolleyes:

Which is, of course, utter nonsense!

Oktas8
25th Sep 2006, 07:39
Which is, of course, utter nonsense!
Quite right too BEagle. Autopilots are much more reliable than students - the analogy is not valid at all. :p

9M - as Whopity says, different countries use different rules. In this country, instructors can log IF if the aircraft is in IMC, regardless of whether the instructor or the student is the handling pilot. Just like airline captains and their first officers... :ok:
O8