PDA

View Full Version : I thought the idea was to increase the number of controllers.

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2006, 16:03
A snippet from NY times today.

DALLAS, Sept. 13 — A drive by the Federal Aviation Administration to cut the number of air traffic controllers nationally by 10 percent below negotiated levels, and even more sharply at places like the busy radar center here, is producing tension, anger and occasional shows of defiance among controllers.

Seems it's not just Dallas.

Pause for light humor (groan)
unhappiness is usually not visible in the darkened radar centers where they work, except when it is glaringly obvious.

The agency has been defensive about staffing rules since a plane crash on Sept. 1 in Lexington, Ky., in a case where the workload of the lone controller on duty violated policy.

Having just one controller on duty "degrades the safety net," said Pat Forrey, president of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, "by not having another set of eyes and ears." Mr. Forrey and others make a similar argument about keeping controllers at their work stations in positions that require intense concentration for extended periods.

The president of the union local here, Michael Conely, said that with the number of controllers now scheduled, "you can't staff all the positions properly.''

And so it goes on.

Jerricho
20th Sep 2006, 20:01
Typical.

"Hey, I know how we can save some dosh. Them ATCOs get paid heaps. If we get rid of 10% of them, then wow, we can save a bundle! Sheet, I'm gonna get a great bonus for this one!"

It's just another example of how detached management are from the coal face.

Jerricho
21st Sep 2006, 23:27
Dear Mods,

Pretty please, could we perhaps have this one moved over to the ATC Forum. Might get a little more input from some folk who don't venture in here.

Thanks heaps :ok:

Jerricho
22nd Sep 2006, 12:53
Or not.........

(Thank you :ok: )

Scurvy.D.Dog
22nd Sep 2006, 13:32
I hope that 'Reason' does not visit before reason is reached by those who know the reasons but appear to ignore 'Reason' :uhoh:
... or is it reason .... :ooh: .... :\

chevvron
22nd Sep 2006, 16:14
With a worldwide shortage of controllers, I'm sure any 'redundant' FAA controllers won't be out of work long.
The secret would seem to be don't combine sectors so much especially if there are 'business suits' in the building. Make lots of noise as if you're busy when the suits are in the control room.(not difficult at most units I know)

Scott Voigt
22nd Sep 2006, 22:26
There won't be any redundent controllers here... They are just waiting for us to retire. We have a LOT of folks who can retire and are probably going to do so in the near future... I know that if things continue the way that the are, I may do so as well.

Not to mention that the new hires are all coming in under a much lower pay scale... We are seeing a number of applicants turn down the job, not show up at the academy, or finally quit once they get to the facility... This is something that the FAA has NEVER seen before and they aren't admiting to it. Probably in denial...

regards

Scott H. Voigt
NATCA Southwest Region
Safety and Technology Chairman