PDA

View Full Version : Question for TRI's

rbr919
20th Sep 2006, 10:22
This is a question for TRI/TRE's only.

If a low hour pilot completes a type rating on a large jet aircraft, up to the licence skill test. How long a time period would be sufficient before attempting the base training (without going in the simulator again)?

BillieBob
20th Sep 2006, 22:45
6 months.
'Base training', i.e. the aircraft training required prior to issue of the rating, is an integral part of the type rating training course and usually includes the pre flight inspection that cannot be completed on a simulator.

JAR-FCL 1.240(b)(2) states "Each applicable item in the appropriate skill test shall be satisfactorily completed within the six months immediately preceding the date of receipt of the application for the rating." so you must complete all parts of the LST, including the base training, within 6 months of the Authority receiving application for the rating.

Craggenmore
20th Sep 2006, 23:28
I went 6 weeks between the LST and refresher sims. I then needed to do 16 hours in the sim again (though base training was quick after those refreshers.) It was a totally amazing experience. Possibly better than First Solo. Hang in there Pal :ok:

rbr919
21st Sep 2006, 09:37
Thanks for your comments but I am trying to find out what you (as TRI's oe experienced guys) would consider a maximum suitable time period from LST to Base training without any further sim sessions for a low houred pilot training on a large jet aircraft.

Craggenmore
21st Sep 2006, 13:26
I'm not a TRI, but the easyJet TRI's consider 6 weeks to be long enough to be put back into the sim if you have not completed base training after the LST. This happened to 8 of us this year.

Kit d'Rection KG
21st Sep 2006, 19:29
I'd agree, about six weeks, for a sharp candidate. Possibly less for others, continuity is invaluable.