PDA

View Full Version : Fly On The Wall Landings

TURIN
20th Sep 2006, 09:44
As a hang-glider pilot in a previous life, there used to be much talk about this technique.
It was essentially a way of landing safely in extreme circumstances.
IE if your chosen landing field turned out to be down slope-into wind then an upslope-downwind was often preferable.

The extreme of this was to land on the side of a hill especially if the alternative was a long carry back up the hill for another t/o.

You basically flew straight at the slope and, with planty of speed in hand flew up the hill and stalled on to the slope. You had very little horizontal momentum and gravity helped the glider stop dead.
Worked a treat when you got it right, rather messy if you didn't:\

Question is, has this technique ever been used/taught for powered a/c. Would it work in extrmis with say a 747? An engine out landing in the Himalayas for example.

Yes, I am bored but just thought I'd set this up.

Phenomenon
20th Sep 2006, 11:02
I've heard of smaller companies in Africa going in strips on the sides of mountains where they use this technique but only with small aircraft like C206's etc. Dunno if they are still doing this but in my mind I wouldn't try it.

The momentum that you have with a heavier aircraft would most likely take you crashing into the mountain if you misjudge the approach ever so slightly. I don't really fancy the thought of getting a serious case of dashboard rash... ;)

chornedsnorkack
22nd Sep 2006, 12:50
I've heard of smaller companies in Africa going in strips on the sides of mountains where they use this technique but only with small aircraft like C206's etc. Dunno if they are still doing this but in my mind I wouldn't try it.

The momentum that you have with a heavier aircraft would most likely take you crashing into the mountain if you misjudge the approach ever so slightly. I don't really fancy the thought of getting a serious case of dashboard rash... ;)

Does the actual slope of runway matter there?

Yes, a heavy aircraft tends to have higher stall speed. But the higher your approach speed, the stronger the bump generated by a given angular error of flare - even on a flat runway.

So, with a heavy aircraft, you need to flare to match the exact slope of runway - whether dead horizontal, downslope or upslope. In all cases, the higher your approach speed, the more precise flare would be needed...