PDA

View Full Version : Flew the opposite circuit

RatherBeFlying
20th Sep 2006, 02:29
Got the go ahead for my first flight in a different single seat glider; nice takeoff and tow; lovely handling.

At 1200' time to head over to the IP for 36 until low enough to enter downwind.

A little high on downwind; so, used spoilers to get down to 700' at mid-downwind.
Then realised to my horror that the landing runway was 18; in fact, the one I took off from 14 minutes before:uhoh:

Even worse was that 20 seconds before I was at 1200' and could have set up an acceptable circuit to 18:mad:

Sure missed having a throttle:\

The wind was almost dead calm and I was the only a/c in the zone (they kindly held the next takeoff until I sorted myself out); so, no problem from the airplane or traffic -- just tea and biccies with the CFI:= and a case of beer for the vultures.

Now that I know I can drop a clanger like this one, I'm working on strategies to not do this again.
What I don't understand is how I so quickly got myself into the mindset for the wrong runway -- habit has been suggested, but I'm well used to landing at both runways:confused:

gcolyer
20th Sep 2006, 08:01
I guess you could put it down to a brain fart :rolleyes:

dublinpilot
20th Sep 2006, 10:13
You are not the first to make that mistake, and no doubt will not be the last.

I have come close to making such a mistake twice, thankfully managed to sport my error in time.

All you can do is think about your approach earlier, when you have more free brain capacity, before things get busy.

dp