PDA

View Full Version : UK flying instructor pay

Wipeout
19th Sep 2006, 17:02
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong area, but just fishing for some answers. About how much can instructors (either PPL/PPL(H)) expect to earn in the UK, and would it be favourable to not have any ambitions for ATPL/airline job? I know a lot of instructors have frozen atpl's, is that preffered or not? I know the qualifications needed, just not the job details...

Many thanks!

Dude~
19th Sep 2006, 17:56
This has been covered so many times before - try searching and you'll find out the horrible truth:\

wingbar
19th Sep 2006, 19:22
absolutely discgusting the pay, the conditions, the treatment from the owners.....and the Students...

foxmoth
19th Sep 2006, 20:12
absolutely discgusting the pay, the conditions, the treatment from the owners.....and the Students...

Sorry you think that Wingbar, IMHO the students and the flying are generally the good bits about instructing (though you always get the odd one you would rather not be flying with) - I take it you are no longer in the business :rolleyes:
Agree with the sentiment about pay, which is one reason I don't actually do it for the cash - though I will not undercut those that need to. As far as conditions go, again it depends on who you work for.:ok:

Wipeout
20th Sep 2006, 09:41
Cheers guys, much appreciated. :ok:

Jinkster
20th Sep 2006, 12:34
I'm on £15 per hour which on a good day its great - 6hours+ per day but on a bad day its horrendous!

:eek:

smoothkpilot
25th Sep 2006, 13:03
Instructing is a great way to build time and experience. As with most things in life it depends on why you are doing it and what are your long term goals. If you want to go Commercial and enter an ailrine I think its a great way to build up time, but try and limit the single engine time, multi engine is what you really want. If you want to do it for fun then yeah go for it, see it as a hobby where you get paid. The income is absolutely disgusting. I'm a qualified flight instructor, Frozen ATPL, MCC and I'm instructing to build time and experience with a view to entering an airline. I instructed full time during the summer and am now going part-time over the winter months so that I can go and earn a decent living by getting a full time job. Over the summer of 2006 I managed to get nearly 300 hours which takes my total time to 500. Not great in the big scheme of things but its better than just another 250 hour Frozen ATPL with MCC. Pay wise I'm on £12.00, bus drivers earn more than this, so I wouldn't consider being an instructor job to live off. The guys who do this full time at my school either have very deep pockets (and I mean DEEP) or a partner or parents to support them. Overall I enjoy instructing and its a great way to meet people(network), get some hours and keep your hand in on the flying side of things. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Smoothk:ok: :cool: :)

VFE
25th Sep 2006, 17:47
£14/hr and £10 petrol money.

The job I start soon pays £20/hr, no retainer, but greater likelihood of more flying hours.

VFE.

trucky04
27th Sep 2006, 10:54
yeah im on £20 ph but what do CPL Instructors expect to earn? Is the pay more at larger schools? What im asking is, IS there ANY type of insruction job that can pay more?? any views???