PDA

View Full Version : Ditching: this PM 19th Sept

Nightstop
19th Sep 2006, 14:37
Overheard the ditching of what I believe to be a German registered light aircraft this afternoon 19th Sept. at around 12:30 Zulu in UK offshore waters. SAR helicopter dispatched and Speedbird aircraft assisting with search for the solo occupant. Pilot of the aircraft in distress very calm as he prepared for the ditching.

Any further news anyone?

Sedbergh
19th Sep 2006, 14:43
BBC news says pilot picked up by Sea King from Wattisham & is OK. :) The report suggests fuel deficit as a possible cause.

Pitts2112
19th Sep 2006, 14:52
Good news that he got out OK (of botht the aircraft AND the water). Having just finished a 100 mile over water crossing this weekend from Deauville to Sandown (the longest I've ever been over water), it's nice to know SAR works if you need it!

Pitts2112

London Mil
19th Sep 2006, 15:23
Cessna 303 (DIAFC or DIACF?) ran out of fuel (allegedly). Had to chuckle at the "good lucks" when passing 1500ft; wonder what D&D thouight of that whilst trying to keep a continuous fix on his position?

Nightstop
19th Sep 2006, 16:26
Glad to hear the pilot is OK. I'm pretty sure the lady in D&D echoed the "Good Luck" wishes, as did all of us who were sharing what may have been that pilot's final moments.
BTW The callsign being used was D-FC

stiknruda
19th Sep 2006, 18:55
Local 18h00 tv news showed a "rainbow" being hoisted into a SeaKing. The RAF crew were very kind - he had no warm weather clothing on and wasn't wearing a life jacket, he was very cold! Herr x experienced no injuries and now in Ipswich hospital.

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Sep 2006, 22:54
DIAFC
D-IACT is a C303 Crusader.

Pilot DAR
20th Sep 2006, 03:04
I flew one of these trans Atlantic with a friend many years ago. Nice plane, but compared to a C310, or similar twin Cessna, a little frustrating for fuel quantity. The 303 had a fuel quantity indicating system which seems no better than the single Cessnas. With only one tank per side, when the pointer starts bouncing between 1/4 and nothing, it's hard to judge how much is really there - a little un-nerving when you can't see the coast of Iceland yet (pre GPS).

The early C 303's were also REALLY nasty in icing, before the addition of the electric pad in the middle of the tail. Silly me did not read the flight manual before flying (too much 310 and 340 time - though I could just figure it out). The guy before me did not install the AD required placard prohibiting flight into known icing. The plane was all over the sky in pitch and yaw for about half an hour 'till I got lower and found warmer air. By the time I landed, it flew perfectly, but had no ice anymore (clue 1). It was actually a few legs later (bored between Iceland and Scotland) that I bothered to dig out the flight manual, and read about what almost happend to me and why!

Lessons learned: 1) I like planes with more tanks than engines, if you're willing to actually manage the fuel, it's a bit more reassuring later in the flight, 2) Read the flight manual!

Cheers

IO540
20th Sep 2006, 08:05
No life jacket, presumably no life raft...............

QDMQDMQDM
20th Sep 2006, 09:21
Retractable, low-wing aircraft, much better for ditching than a high wing single. Remember all those pics of Wellingtons in the drink right side up with the crew sitting on the wing, wondering whether they really have to get their feet wet or not?

Flash0710
20th Sep 2006, 09:48
Allegedly no life jacket and no raft.

Pic from BBc
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Noblelordflash/_42106776_bodyinwater203.jpg

Dunno about any one else but i would be layin a cable.

I did SE. GSY- EGKA- EGSX yesterday and insisted on not discussing ditching potential on the way.

Top result tho.

Top job by all agencies too....

rgds & keep it safe

f

wbryce
20th Sep 2006, 11:08
great job to the pilot!

anyone know how long he was in the drink for? kudos to the BA/BD crew who assisted, especially when you consider what stresses are put on them to remain on schedule. If it was FR, the pilots would be sacked by now!

Be interesting to hear the story from the guys flying the BA!

Lon More
20th Sep 2006, 14:16
If it was FR, the pilots would be sacked by now!

Don't think even MOL would be that dumb.
Imagine the headlines, "Airline boss insists pilots leave colleague to drown.", not to mention the law suits. There exists a legal responsibility of due care in British law, that you cannot just stand by and do nothing in such circumstances - same as watching someone drown in a swimming pool, you must attempt to rescue them unless doing so would endanger others.

hotmetal
20th Sep 2006, 15:50
There exists a legal responsibility of due care in British law, that you cannot just stand by and do nothing in such circumstances - same as watching someone drown in a swimming pool, you must attempt to rescue them unless doing so would endanger others.
Just being picky but this is not the case in English law. You cannot be found criminally liable by failing to act. A person who sees another man drowning but does nothing to help him, even though, if he had merely reached out his hand, the man who could not swim would have been saved has committed no crime.
There are a few exceptions. For example where you are require to act by law eg being obliged to report an accident; a contractual duty to act eg being a lifeguard at a swimming pool and watching someone drown. There are about half a dozen others.
Sorry I just came over all pedantic.
Well done to the BA crew. I hope I would have done the same.

Sensible Garage
20th Sep 2006, 17:43
D-IAFC CeT303 T303-00244

can some one confirm this is correct?

London Mil
21st Sep 2006, 05:03
C/S correct. Don't know about all the other numbers:hmm:

Lon More
21st Sep 2006, 20:49
this is not the case in English law
Apologies, I'd read an article recently about it and thought it was UK law.