PDA

View Full Version : 'Unpleasant situation' in circuit....

alexka
18th Sep 2006, 23:01
I was doing solo forced landing excercise at uncontrolled airfield (FIS only) and ran into an unpleasant situation in the circuit, which I would like to never happen in the future.

Forced landing excercise was the following : at 2000 ft GND aircraft flies RWY course over RWY threshold, and "High Key" is reported. Power is set to idle and the task is to land within 150m after the RWY threshold without using power. The idea is to fly a pattern with descending ca. 500 ft in every part of the 'quadrangle'. At 1000 ft GND "Low key" is reported.

So, everything was Okay. I was already turning base and reported "Low Key", IAS was 65 kt (C152). The FIS reported wind and informed me that there is another aircraft on final to the same runway. I should probably mention here, that indeed, I heard another plane reported base before but did not hear anyone to report final so having someone in final was a surprise for me. I was now flying 'my' base, which is obviously non-standard and shorter because of the excercise, and looking out mostly to the right trying to find that 'another a/c in final'. Could not see him, in the meantime I was approaching the point where my base crosses the final. I initiated early gentle left turn (at 65 kt) to avoid crossing final without seeing another a/c, not too steep so that I still could look out trying to find "him" and to keep chances to continue approach. I didn't report anything yet, and FIS asked me whether I see another a/c in final. I reported negative, and FIS requested me to go around. At this moment, I was in left turn with bank ca. 10 degree and noticed my airspeed going down quite rapidly and approaching 50kt, there was not stall warning yet. I applied full power and my go-around path was basically parallel to RWY, over airfield buildings...

I then repeated the excercise, and after completing it I felt myself very incomfortable about loosing control over airspeed while looking out trying to find another a/c, which resulted in being close to the accident....

After talking to instructor about this my understanding is that I should rather initiate standard left turn without crossing final and go around (which I basically did, but in the ugly way). I should also do speedchecks more often. I am interested in comments of experienced pilots however. How would you behave in such situation?

Thanks a lot.

PS. Hope my description is not too confusing :-)

englishal
19th Sep 2006, 06:29
I would have aborted the PFL as soon as I heard the other aeroplane report base / final, applied power and extend downwind until I had the other aeroplane in sight. You can always have another go later on. That way you're not fixating looking out for the other aeroplane in a critical phase of flight.....

vancouv
19th Sep 2006, 07:10
I agree with Englishal, flying a PFL you're in a non-standard position and very likely to be in conflict with someone flying a normal circuit - I would only want to do this if I knew there were no other planes about. Ideally you want to be No.1 by the time you turn base, as you're flying such a tight circuit.

In fact I would be a bit nervous if I didn't have visual with someone when I was on base/final even on a normal circuit. And as for the airspeed, it's a classic stall-in situation where your attention is distracted by something unusual happening, whatever that might be - if you can't give the approach 100% attention, get out and come back for another try.

Rod1
19th Sep 2006, 07:14
First of all congratulations for practicing PFL’s a) at all and b) on your own!

I do exactly the same drill; your only mistake was to go around a little late. I only do the drill if I am the only aircraft in the circuit, so as soon as the aircraft on base (did he join on base) called up I would have repositioned.

Keep practicing PFL’s!!!!

Rod1

robin
19th Sep 2006, 08:25
I'm not sure what you meant by

"I was already turning base and reported "Low Key"

Does this mean that you made a radio call of Low Key? If so, that wouldn't help the guy on finals

alexka
19th Sep 2006, 11:02
I'm not sure what you meant by

"I was already turning base and reported "Low Key"

Does this mean that you made a radio call of Low Key? If so, that wouldn't help the guy on finals

Yes, I made a radio call of Low Key as requested by ATC (FIS of that airfield) and as part of the procedure. I knew someone is on base, but apparently there was someone on finals as well, which was a 'surprise'. Circuit of that airfield is quite 'spacious' (because of nearby villages and noise limitations), and it is quite difficult to spot someone on base while you are relatively close to the airfield doing PFL approach. I could not even spot the guy on finals this time.

Thanks for your replies guys, they really make sense.

172driver
19th Sep 2006, 11:19
Two things.

First, the R/T: what please are Low-Key and High-Key ???:confused: I can guess what they might mean (other than photographic techniques), but frankly would have a hard time understanding what you were on about if I was approaching this field. IMHO if you elect to do this kind of excercise then make very, very clear what you'll be doing on the radio. I normally hate pilots telling their life story on air, but a call along the lines of "Piper/Cessna/whatever, callsign, will be doing PFL to full stop/T&G, runway xyz, currently 2000 ft above threshold XYZ" would go a long way towards helping the general situational awareness of everyone involved.

Secondly, have to second Paris Dakar. If there's a chance of NORDO a/c in the area be very careful.

To end on a positive note - good on ya to practice PFL. Not enough of us do on a regular basis.

justinmg
19th Sep 2006, 13:07
I guess what scared you most was looking at the ASI and seeing is dropping to 50Kts. The key to this is trim. If the aircraft is in trim, the airspeed should not drop.
What might have happened is that due to your distraction of the unseen aircraft, you subconciously "stopped approaching the runway", maintaining height by pulling back. The only way around this is to develop an awareness of the stick position.
As for how to handle the other aircraft, I agree with the above. Abort earlier.

alexka
19th Sep 2006, 14:10
First, the R/T: what please are Low-Key and High-Key ???:confused: I can guess what they might mean (other than photographic techniques), but frankly would have a hard time understanding what you were on about if I was approaching this field. IMHO if you elect to do this kind of excercise then make very, very clear what you'll be doing on the radio. I normally hate pilots telling their life story on air, but a call along the lines of "Piper/Cessna/whatever, callsign, will be doing PFL to full stop/T&G, runway xyz, currently 2000 ft above threshold XYZ" would go a long way towards helping the general situational awareness of everyone involved.

Here is how it is done. I was told to do exactly so by the school - I am a PPL student and solo PFLs are part of syllabus here. At initial call to ATC (FIS) I inform them of type of a/c, position and intentions, including RWY, altitude, number of excercises. When reaching High-Key position (2000 ft GND over RWY threshold), "Callsign, High-Key RWY#" is reported. Starting from that point FIS informs every a/c entering base or final about a/c ('me') performing PFL in the airfield area. Another a/c on base was once requested to adjust his approach in order to let me join final. In other words, FIS are informing others "on my behalf" and give recommendations.

I agree though, perhaps it makes sense to report details in High-Key radio call to make others aware immediately.

And anyway, I find advice to avoid practicing PFLs on a busy day is a very good idea.

Whopity
19th Sep 2006, 15:26
Hi Key and Low Key are military phraseology that do not appear in either the ICAO RT Manual or CAP 413 the UK RT Manual. They should not be used when making radio calls at a civil airfield! Unless there a German RT Manual that defines them?

Even when flying a PFL patern the correct circuit calls should be made, Downwind, Final etc.

As with any circuit, lookout and go arround if in doubt. You can go arround from anywhere in the circuit patern if you are not happy with what is ahead especially if the clown ahead doesn't fly a proper circuit.

Hampshire Hog
19th Sep 2006, 15:36
You will always have some incidents - especially when a student - when you realise the airspeed has got away from you. That's why we have stall warning devices. If there is no shaking and the stall warner isn't sounding, you have sufficient airspeed. That it dropped below your usual comfort zone is not great, but you noticed - clearly in time. I'll bet you won't let it happen again either. Don't let it get you down.

HH

172driver
19th Sep 2006, 17:45
Alexka, slight, but very important difference: in your post you refer to ATC / FIS which implies a towered field with an AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER in place. However, the OP said he was doing this on a non-towered field with only a FIS on the radio in the UK. As you will probably learn in later life (once you got your license and fly internationally), FIS isn't FIS. The FIS you and I, for example, would get from Langen Info traversing Germany would be RAS in the UK (i.e squwak code, traffic calls). A FIS here (and at any other non-towered field anywhere, AFAIK including Germany) is nothing else but a guy with a radio - who can go to the loo, have a chat with his mate on the phone or, indeed, make calls to a/c. He is NOT an ATCO !! Therefore, in such a situation it is the responsability of the pilot - and nobody else - to see and avoid other traffic. Hence the importance of crystal clear radio comms including intentions, especially if these deviate from any standard manoeuvre. HTH.

Ooops - just realised, the OP (in fact none other than alexka) was referring to a field in Germany, not the UK. However, I've flown a bit in and through Germany and have definitely never heard anyone calling Hi-Key / Low- Key. In fact I've never heard it at all. If it's not standard ICAO radio, than it should, IMHO not be used, least of all when doing something out of the ordinary.

robin
19th Sep 2006, 20:13
As a glider pilot I know the concept of high key and low key for preparing for a field landing, but I am amazed that anyone would call this as a position report in a circuit - it means absolutely nothing in terms of a position in a circuit, so I cannot see any benefit in calling this on the radio

Yes, by all means shout it out to yourself, but for anyone else in the circuit or on the airfield frequency it will only add to confusion as no-one will know where to look for you

Please keep to standard radio calls, at least in the UK

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Sep 2006, 23:14
As a glider pilot I know the concept of high key and low key for preparing for a field landing, but I am amazed that anyone would call this as a position report in a circuit
Works at Cambridge. In fact if you're doing a PFL to land on the airfield ATC will instruct you to make precisely these reports.

But of course if it's busy you can be orbiting at 2,000' for many minutes before being allowed to play these games.

RatherBeFlying
20th Sep 2006, 01:56
My last two instructors had the habit of announcing "engine failure" just after I pulled carb heat on on my downwind checks. PFLs from this position conform better to the circuit pattern.

You can get in quite a few PFLs just practicing standard circuits. I do add "simulated forced approach" to let other traffic know what I'm up to.

Also from a normal downwind leg you have a better opportunity to check for and sort out conflicting traffic.

172driver
20th Sep 2006, 08:07
Works at Cambridge. In fact if you're doing a PFL to land on the airfield ATC will instruct you to make precisely these reports.
But of course if it's busy you can be orbiting at 2,000' for many minutes before being allowed to play these games.

OK, Wombat, now we know what to listen out for at Cambridge. Could someone now please educate us ignorants who use ICAO phraseology what this call really means ?

robin
20th Sep 2006, 08:26
Wombat

Some of us weren't taught to handle PFLs in that way. It is only one technique amongst many and is, I would suggest, not helpful as a radio call when the rest of us on frequency are listening out for standard position reports.

At our airfield if a PFL is being practiced on the airfield, the standard radio calls are made

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Sep 2006, 20:17
Some of us weren't taught to handle PFLs in that way. It is only one technique amongst many and is, I would suggest, not helpful as a radio call when the rest of us on frequency are listening out for standard position reports.
Not too much of a problem, surely, as ATC only allow the PFLs when they won't conflict with anyone else, ie you, and they'll be telling you exactly what they want you to do (which will be, barring accidents, continue with what you were doing anyway, or they wouldn't have permitted the PFL in the first place).

If if something does go slightly banana-shaped it's likely to be the guy doing the PFL who's told to go around anyway.