PDA

View Full Version : now here's a thing!

daedalus
18th Sep 2006, 18:01
The Ryanair site has published news concerning carry-on baggage, following the change to UK rules.
You can carry on one bag weighing 10 kilos or less containing no shampoos/toothpaste/gel/liquid etc.etc.
Silly new size for carry- on baggage stays for UK airports.
Rules for most non-UK airports are as before, i.e. unchanged, BUT
If you ARRIVE at a UK airport (having embarked at, let's say Frankfurt-Hahn, where you are allowed bigger carry-on baggage than at UK airports) and if your carry-on is bigger than the UK dimensions, then you have to pay an extra 5 quid on disembarking.
Is this barking or what?:ugh:

Globaliser
18th Sep 2006, 18:48
If you ARRIVE at a UK airport (having embarked at, let's say Frankfurt-Hahn, where you are allowed bigger carry-on baggage than at UK airports) and if your carry-on is bigger than the UK dimensions, then you have to pay an extra 5 quid on disembarking.Surely this is only intended to apply to people who are then transferring to another flight and can no longer take that bag on to their next flight? It could have been better worded, but I can't believe that they mean literally what they are actually saying. It doesn't actually say that you pay it on disembarking, just that you will have to pay it. So I suspect that there has just been a few words missed out that would have clarified it.

daedalus
19th Sep 2006, 07:07
You may be right Globaliser, but the wording is not clear. It could just refer to flights entering the UK from Italy and Poland, which are given special mention, but in that case the permitted hand-luggage dimensions are the same as for the UK and so you shouldn't be able to get on the flight to the UK from Italy or Poland with hand-luggage bigger than that.
:confused:

slim_slag
19th Sep 2006, 08:04
You can 'arrive' at an airport from two directions :) Could have been put better, but makes sense if you assume they are talking about people 'arriving' from a taxi.

Cyrano
19th Sep 2006, 08:36
You can 'arrive' at an airport from two directions :) Could have been put better, but makes sense if you assume they are talking about people 'arriving' from a taxi.
Agreed. It seems to mean "passengers presenting themselves for travel from a UK airport." And yes, it's very badly worded, but that's not new from these folks. The Ryanair online check-in security questions, for example, are, as I recall, along the lines of:
I packed my bag myself
I have no sharp items
You are not carrying anything for anyone else
Still, suppose it's better than a 50p-per-ticket "proofreading surcharge" :p

Globaliser
19th Sep 2006, 11:23
You can 'arrive' at an airport from two directions :) Could have been put better, but makes sense if you assume they are talking about people 'arriving' from a taxi.On re-reading the page, I think you're absolutely right.