PDA

View Full Version : Mode S transponder - can you tell?

Kiltie
18th Sep 2006, 15:05
Chaps I am lead to believe the carriage of a Mode S transponder is now compulsory when IFR in controlled airspace.

If I were to arrive in your airspace around the country in a light twin with just standard Mode C, would you deny me a transit or approach and ask me to exit such airspace? How can you tell from my return whether I am Mode S or not, and how often do you come across such instances?

Over+Out
18th Sep 2006, 16:19
I cannot quote you all the rules, however onlly a few ATC units in the UK use Mode 'S' (TC, LL TWR).
At the moment you would not be refused access without Mode 'S'.
I'm sure someone will have the precise rules and dates to hand.

A7700
18th Sep 2006, 16:32
Chaps I am lead to believe the carriage of a Mode S transponder is now compulsory when IFR in controlled airspace.
If I were to arrive in your airspace around the country in a light twin with just standard Mode C, would you deny me a transit or approach and ask me to exit such airspace? How can you tell from my return whether I am Mode S or not, and how often do you come across such instances?

Have you read that nice peace of regulation ?:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/810/DAP_SSM_AIC492005.pdf

It is likely that there will be a 2-year transition period until 31 March 2010, to allow for any implementation difficulties.
If you have any queries regarding Mode S equipage contact
[email protected]