PDA

View Full Version : Bob Cowell Rip

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Sep 2006, 09:20
I just heard the devastating news that Bob Cowell, ex Boscombe, Heathrow and one or two other choice spots, was recently killed in a car crash in Africa.. not long after his 60th birthday. His lady travel companion Celia, with whom he travelled for many years, also died and my thoughts are with her husband family. Bob never married but he was survived by a brother and his mother, to whom our hearts go out. He also had a million friends who will miss him terribly.

I had the enormous pleasure of working at Heathrow with Bob for many years. He was a truly remarkable character; the sort that one only meets once in one's lifetime - excellent at his job, yet able to see the comical side of just about everything. He made the good days fantastic and the bad days great. He was a great host too - adept at all types of cooking as those who visited his home will know. Bob was an incredible aero-modeller.. I recall his large collection of Boeing 737s in just about every airline colour-scheme, meticulously painted.

Eccentric hardly described him - he was barking mad! When he spent a small fortune on an Audi Cabriolet, much to the extreme envy of the rest of us, he was determined to get the best from the "open roof" irrespective of the weather. I pulled up beside him on the A4 one winter morning - it was foggy, damp and about -6. I was snug in my car but he was sitting with the lid down wearing a woolly skiing hat and a huge coat. I wound down the window and asked him what is was like: "Bloody freezing" was the reply...

Truly a very bright light has been extinguished, but Heaven will be an exciting place from now on.

God Bless you Bob and thanks for everything....

Bren McCartney

ATSA_Grunt
18th Sep 2006, 11:20
I well remember Bob from my EGLL days. Always looked forward to our chats on GMP. He will be missed... Sad, sad news. RIP BOB

The Obvious Choice
18th Sep 2006, 19:43
Many many wonderful memories. His serve in tennis will never be forgotten.
Love you Bobby.

roger
19th Sep 2006, 14:56
A good bloke.

autothrottle
20th Sep 2006, 08:25
Very sad news. RIP.

Nogbad the Bad
20th Sep 2006, 13:53
Oh what a bloody shame !

RIP