PDA

View Full Version : Perth (Scotland)

ComJam
16th Sep 2006, 11:04
During lunch at Leuchars airshow last week I heard a couple of unwelcome rumours about the future of Perth (Scone) Aerodrome, something to do with housing possibly being built on some of the site??

What's the story?

Flap40
16th Sep 2006, 16:39
If I've got it right, 09-27 and the grass runway 15-33 will close on 31/10/06. A new (tempoary?) grass 09-27 will open 1/11/06. The entire centre triangle is being rolled, seeded etc and will become operational some time next spring. This should mean no crosswinds for microlights, taildraggers etc!

Whether this will replace the grass 09-27 or be in addition to it I am not sure.

The main 03-21 stays as is.

PPRuNe Radar
16th Sep 2006, 17:28
Doesn't say where on the airfield they will go, but the owner has some plans for more housing it seems.

As we concluded our tour I asked Morris how he saw the future for Perth as a whole - and its development in the business sector.

The success of this Business Park indicates to me a strong need for the kind of business and personal accommodation letting my Group provides here and all over the country. There is an evident urgent need for affordable rented accommodation in this area and I am currently planning a development of 80 more houses to rent here. Teenagers to OAPs, they have to have roofs over their heads that they can afford. There has to be decent housing. And small businesses ought to have the chance to become established with affordable rents as part of feasible budgets.

Full article here:

Perthshire Business Magazine (http://www.businessperthshiremagazine.com/business_perthshire_magazine/bpm_spr06/perth_airport_01.htm)

Floppy Link
16th Sep 2006, 22:17
Whether this will replace the grass 09-27 or be in addition to it I am not sure.

Replace, allegedly. 'Cos the grass 09-27 is next to the soon to be old hard 09-27 which is due to start filling up with parked caravans and have a fence along the side.
:mad:

NorthSouth
18th Sep 2006, 13:49
If 09/27 Hard has caravans on it and a fence round it, how will aircraft get from the apron to either the existing 03/21 or the new 09/27 grass, which will be on the other side of the fence?
NS

dont overfill
18th Sep 2006, 15:40
Access to 03/21 will be via B. (Caravans will be east of B) There will eventually a parrallel taxiway for 03/21

NorthSouth
18th Sep 2006, 18:18
Parallel taxiway sounds good but I wonder how it'll all work when there's a north westerly, 03/21 is active and microlights/taildraggers are taking off any direction they fancy off the grass? And will CAA take a view on this?
NS

ComJam
18th Sep 2006, 22:36
Glad to hear that flying is at least continuing in some form or other.

Gone are the great AST days sadly, 10 150's, 15 Warriors and a handful of 310's all running on the pan after lunch :(

A sad way for such a great airfield to be going.

aluminium persuader
18th Sep 2006, 22:40
ComJam

You are so right. I was an ATCO there in those heady days. Still visit occasionally & swear if I close my eyes I can feel the spirits of all those who passed through. Still in touch with a few, thank Heavens!

ap:{

aluminium persuader
18th Sep 2006, 22:42
CJ -

Just realised from your profile, I think we might be aquainted!!!

ap;)