PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol Initial Selection

Kirk Biddlecombe
15th Sep 2006, 15:19
Was E-mailed by Eurocontrol earlier this afternoon and asked if I could attend the selection tests in Maastricht taking place on the 4th October 2006.

I'd love to be doing them about a month later. As I'm just starting back at Uni it comes at the worst possible time. I didn't expect it all to happen so quickly. I'm wondering if there is anyone who has applied to Eurocontrol, who perhaps knows if it's acceptable to request a change in test date.

Very much appreciated! :ok:

Kirk

Gonzo
15th Sep 2006, 15:28
Hi Kirk,

Have you asked Eurocontrol?

Number2
15th Sep 2006, 15:39
Is it just me that's finding forums with inane questions on whether 'I should do this/that/the other' really tedious?

Just ring NATS/Eurocontrol/HR and get the job done....

Don't people not use their own initiative any more?

(rant over)

Avman
15th Sep 2006, 15:47
Naah, it's easier to post in a forum and let someone else go to all the trouble. Sums up the new generation of kids. Me thinks Kirk should apply for a job in management!

Kirk Biddlecombe
15th Sep 2006, 15:58
Gonzo and Number2 - I know what you mean - but I happened to have considered that option...realised The Netherlands are one hour ahead - it's 1600L here and HR are closed. I've E-mailed them but because it's somewhat urgent i.e. Eurocontrol want confirmation ASAP I thought I'd ask here so as to get an answer rather than waiting until Monday. :ok:

Digital.Deliverance
15th Sep 2006, 16:17
Naah, it's easier to post in a forum and let someone else go to all the trouble. Sums up the new generation of kids. Me thinks Kirk should apply for a job in management!

Or maybe, just maybe he wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation before he hacked his potential employer off by telling them he cant make the date? (ie, if it is likely to annoy them, he would have no choice but to go, yet if they didnt mind then its not an issue)

Ive frequented Web forums since the days of the 14.4k modem, and ive coded many myself, in all that time i was always under the impression they were for people to ask questions or talk about subjects of interest? Im tempted to say your comments sum up the older generation...but that would be rather partonising now wouldnt it? :ugh:

Lon More
15th Sep 2006, 16:25
Shouldn't be a problem There normally are several dates for the tests; however probably all within a couple of weeks.
Offices tend to empty by about 1600 local on a Friday, especially if it's a nice day.
Give them a ring on Monday. In any case your reply wouldn't have been processed much earlier

Kirk Biddlecombe
15th Sep 2006, 17:10
Cheers for that Lon. Will get in touch to arrange a slightly later date.

Number2
15th Sep 2006, 17:50
'Im tempted to say your comments sum up the older generation...but that would be rather partonising now wouldnt it?'

Are you saying that the 'older generation' were less proactive because they didn't rely on forums such as these to answer every whimsical question they might have? I could also say that the older people around here might check their spelling and grammar but that would be patronising! :)

Kirk, I think HR will be quite prepared to wait until Monday for your answer/questions. Have a nice weekend.

Point Seven
15th Sep 2006, 17:55
Or maybe, just maybe he wanted to know if anyone had been in a similar situation before he hacked his potential employer off by telling them he cant make the date? (ie, if it is likely to annoy them, he would have no choice but to go, yet if they didnt mind then its not an issue)
Ive frequented Web forums since the days of the 14.4k modem, and ive coded many myself, in all that time i was always under the impression they were for people to ask questions or talk about subjects of interest? Im tempted to say your comments sum up the older generation...but that would be rather partonising now wouldnt it? :ugh:

Unless you are having to perpetually watch folks who are applying for a job that requires massive amounts of initiative and confidence in your own decisions day in, day out. There are members out there asking for anwers to every hurdle they face and that is not going to set them up for life as an ATCO now is it?

I've been watching this go on and said nothing but I can't let it go anymore. GT3 had an idea elsewhere on here to have a separate forum for those who have questions about applications - I tihnk it's a great idea then everyone who wants to help can go in there to give anwers to this stream of perpetual "What should I do now...?".

What you should do is make you own mind up and get stuck in not rely on everyone else to help you. Or at least not Gonzo...:}

P7

Avman
15th Sep 2006, 18:53
Im tempted to say your comments sum up the older generation...but that would be rather partonising now wouldnt it?

Not at all, feel free. We're all entitled to our opinions after all.

I think along the lines of point seven. Thanks to forums and other mediums, many youngsters today come very well prepared for interviews and tests and somewhat con their way in. They still get found out, only it comes a little later. Time and money wasted.

Kirk Biddlecombe
15th Sep 2006, 19:13
I think along the lines of point seven. Thanks to forums and other mediums, many youngsters today come very well prepared for interviews and tests and somewhat con their way in. They still get found out, only it comes a little later. Time and money wasted.

Not true at all and that's an insult to young people who go out of their way to find out about the tests/interviews...it's called good preparation.

Point Seven
15th Sep 2006, 19:21
Or not if they are unable to show any kind initiative in an interview situation....
P7

GT3
15th Sep 2006, 19:58
In the old days of Buliten Boards that you directly dialed to join and when I was applying to be an atco I didnt think that I needed to know everything about the tests and interviews. I did the rather random thing of learning all there was to know about air traffic control. Strangely that got me the job.

Strikes me as odd that there have been a number of "what should I do in the interview" posts followed by "NATS didnt let me have a job, how horrible they are" :ugh:

Gonzo
15th Sep 2006, 23:43
Avman,

Thanks to forums and other mediums, many youngsters today come very well prepared for interviews and tests and somewhat con their way in. They still get found out, only it comes a little later. Time and money wasted.
Believe me, they get found out early with us! :E

It's good sport too! :ok:

Oh yeah, and don't make this an age thing, some of us are younger than the applicants who display the traits you speak of! :}

Kirk, and others who might be watching, when asking a question here perhaps it would be a good idea at the same time to state what you have done/are doing/are going to do first thing on Monday morning to find out yourself, then I guarantee there will be more people willing to help find out the answer!:ok:

Avman
16th Sep 2006, 07:59
Gonzo,

Oh yeah, and don't make this an age thing, some of us are younger than the applicants who display the traits you speak of!

You're right. Truth is, I'm just a grumpy old man :sad:

Gonzo
16th Sep 2006, 08:06
Avman, some (or at least Point Seven) would say the same of me.:p

16th Sep 2006, 08:09

Not just Point Seven. :E

Gonzo
16th Sep 2006, 08:20
What are you doing up at this early hour?

Lon More
16th Sep 2006, 08:40
I'm just a grumpy old man

As you're not yet retired you can only be a grumpy middle-aged man.
I'm a grumpy old man.
Keep up the good work, you've got my pension to pay.
(BTW heard you want to stay on, even if Art. 41 is offered :uhoh: . Tears at bedtime)

Avman
16th Sep 2006, 13:33
Lon, with many wives and dozens of kids, I have no choice. They need the money :}

Point Seven
17th Sep 2006, 22:48

I'd never call you old Gonze:ok:

P7

Gonzo
17th Sep 2006, 22:58
No, just 'self righteous'!!!! :E