PDA

View Full Version : BA's AOC under threat

PondLifeMan
15th Sep 2006, 09:32
I have just heard a rumour that the UK CAA has placed BA under scrutiny due the the fact that they are running with a near minimum number of LAME's.
A source in BA quality tells me that they are having over 40 stamps (effectively a persons right to sign for an aircraft) handed back every month due to people leaving.
Seems to be a sorry state of affairs for what was once "the worlds favorite airline".
PLM

matkat
15th Sep 2006, 09:36
If You beleive that You will believe anything! BA owns the CAA.

Carnage Matey!
15th Sep 2006, 09:50
Strange. If BA own the CAA then why did they instruct the CAA to threaten to withdraw their own AOC about three years ago? PondLifeMans observations would certainly tie in with an increase in ADDs on the aircraft.

MorningGlory
15th Sep 2006, 10:02
Never heard anything so ridiculous in all my days Matkat. Pompous arrogance is not a nice trait.

cirrus01
15th Sep 2006, 10:30
You can only beat a dog so many times until one day it bites back.

The trickle is becoming a flood...............

Is BA concerned ?? probably not as the underlying aim is to shed more staff.
Easy answer is to sign up to a complete care package with whatever aircraft manufacturer delivers the next batch of aircraft that BA order. Tricky bit is if too many Licensed Engineers leave before then.............

AUTOGLIDE
15th Sep 2006, 10:55
This will never happen. BA have faced this before and their simple, CAA endorsed solution was the creation of 'in-house' qualifications such as the RMA/BMA. Same thing will just happen again. They don't want LAME's, they want in-house qualifications that only mean anything within that company, pay rates dedendent on that internal qualification, hence stopping the chance of them leaving.
It's a nice thought, but lets be honest, the CAA would not say boo to BA.

topman
15th Sep 2006, 14:15
BA Engineering (don't know about Flight Ops) seem to have the CAA well "under control" via the Heathrow CAA Regional office. Have seen it first hand on one occasion and heard of numerous other occasions from reliable sources. Somehow BA seem to get away with things that other smaller carriers never would. Its fact.

Hirsutesme
15th Sep 2006, 15:12
People who arrogantly assert "its fact" at the end of a jumble of rumour, hearsay and my mates mate thoroughly hack me off. NOT top man

Jinkster
15th Sep 2006, 15:37
Sounds like a bit of a wind up to me....

Joetom
15th Sep 2006, 16:05
BA are outting many good engineers in recent times for one reason or another, the remaining engineers will get more workload and stress, I wonder what will drive a turn around in this trend:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Metal_Mirage
15th Sep 2006, 16:11
Maybe a slight exaggeration to say BA 'own' the CAA, but no denying they have been, and continue to be, willing, mature bed-fellows :* Who said post-menopausal love was dead?

Filler Dent
15th Sep 2006, 17:49
I have just heard a rumour that the UK CAA has placed BA under scrutiny due the the fact that they are running with a near minimum number of LAME's.
PLM

That probably explains the reasoning behind the U-Turn over the voluntary severance packages at LGW. Nearly 20(that I know of) B1 licenced engineers who were told they could leave, now won't get a penny. B2 licenced guys were never even allowed to apply. What a caring company.

aunt Mary
15th Sep 2006, 22:56
Has everyone at BA converted their licences? theres not long till the 28th or will the CAA give them 'special' treatment?

Anti-ice
16th Sep 2006, 02:15
It's ridiculous, all BA want now is to get rid of the dedicated professional hardworking staff that made it great.

Everything is cut back to the bare minimum,morale is dire while we see the share price climb.....

All the frontline staffs concerns fall on completely deaf ears while mindless costcutting and arrogance is the way forward.

It's a crying shame, as many great people have left, and many more set to leave - they want to get a grip , as the rot will set in very fast..............

411A
16th Sep 2006, 07:10
I wonder what would happen if BA were to have a nasty accident and the blame couldn't be reasonably placed on the operating crew ..?:}

spannersatcx
16th Sep 2006, 07:19
Has everyone at BA converted their licences? theres not long till the 28th or will the CAA give them 'special' treatment?
It's not up to the CAA, in fact they don't have the authority to, it is up to EASA.

If you are in the ALAE there is an article in there and it talks about extension of the deadline.

I have heard that 95% of Spanish Engineers have not converted so something will have to happen.

It's not exactly difficult to convert a BCAR to a part 66, so I can't see that as an excuse.

Hardly surprising though having read the way they (LAE's) have/are being treated by the self proclaimed worlds favourite.

Filler Dent
16th Sep 2006, 07:24
Your right, it's not difficult to convert, it's just the length of time while the CAA take to process the application thats the problem.

Filler Dent
16th Sep 2006, 07:25
I wonder what would happen if BA were to have a nasty accident and the blame couldn't be reasonably placed on the operating crew ..?:}

The newly created Aircraft Maintenance Supervisor (AMS) fits the bill quite nicely for that situation. :{

spannersatcx
16th Sep 2006, 07:25
Got mine in less that 10 days.:eek:

cirrus01
16th Sep 2006, 12:03
As ever BA know the cost of everything....................but absolutely nothing about the VALUE of something.

AMS role has been created especially to allow finger pointing by BA in the event of an Incident/Accident .:=

keel beam
16th Sep 2006, 14:52
Got mine in less that 10 days.:eek:

I received my converted licence almost as quick!
It was a different matter when I had to add an aircraft type .... OVER 6 MONTHS :mad:

spannersatcx
16th Sep 2006, 17:55
I received my converted licence almost as quick!
It was a different matter when I had to add an aircraft type .... OVER 6 MONTHS :mad:
I converted my BCAR to a blank 66, took 10 days, then added types a month or so later and it took about a week. This was a couple of months ago.

Anyway we're drifting off the thread a bit.

Any news on what's happening?

gas path
16th Sep 2006, 18:19
The list I have seen had just about everyone as converted, who wanted to, bar a few stragglers! That left the people not interested as due for retirement, leaving etc.
I think the young lady in QA did a superb job.:ok:

Filler Dent
16th Sep 2006, 23:10
Well someones got to do a good job in engineering - it had to happen sooner or later. :D

Personally, my conversion took a little over 2 months, from the time I sent the forms to quality and got the new licence back. Which I gather was relatively quick at the time - 2 years ago. If only the type ratings were correct. I'd gained a B2 licence and A330 cover although I wouldn't know what to do with either. Needless to say, many phone calls later, etc. etc. it finally got sorted 3 months later. :ugh:

Engineering really does seem to be in a bit of a mess at the moment. Mr Copeland is certainly going to have his work cutout.

topman
18th Sep 2006, 08:11
People who arrogantly assert "its fact" at the end of a jumble of rumour, hearsay and my mates mate thoroughly hack me off. NOT top man

Actually the reason I stated "its fact" is because I was there, saw and witnessed it for myself. So no jumble of rumour, hearsay and my mates mate. If you don't like it and think its an arrogant statement, then tough, stay hacked off.

Sean Dell
18th Sep 2006, 09:44
Also - 21 LHR T1 dispatchers are taking early retirement from an already stretched department. Be prepared for more delays to ground movements due to 'no stand guidance' whilst the remaining dispatchers firefight their way around the airport. There may be trouble ahead....

Rhoda Horswunce
19th Sep 2006, 15:55
But the AOC wouldn't be under threat if BA had alternative engineering arrangements.

If they contract with the likes of SR Technics, Servisair or other engineering organisations, the number of directly employed certifying staff wouldn't jeopardise BA's operation.

cirrus01
19th Sep 2006, 16:11
Already happening................Some aircraft have been sent to ATC Lasham and Marshalls at Cambridge.

Rhoda Horswunce
19th Sep 2006, 16:47
Already happening................Some aircraft have been sent to ATC Lasham and Marshalls at Cambridge.

That's not new though Cirrus. BA's fleet have been sent to 3rd party maintenance organisations for certain work for many years now. There would only be an issue if the line engineers were reduced in numbers to be insufficient to maintain the Part 145 requirements of available manpower on the line. Aircraft can be 'farmed out' for heavier checks to other approved Part 145 companies at any time really.