PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!

shesellsseashellsair
15th Sep 2006, 00:51
I am a flight instructor in New Zealand. And was wondering if anyone has a clue as to how much it would cost me to transfer my licence to the JAA equivalent. And also what is the work and pay conditions like as an instructor. Are they poor like NZ or are they reasonable.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

chiaroscuro
15th Sep 2006, 04:19
Dear shesellsseashellsair,

first of all you gotta tell a little more about your qualifications. are you holding any multi or IR instructor ratings? see the thing is that in Europe (as far as I figured) the flightschools are mainly run by major airlines but very rarely are they the individual flying club like you know down in NZ. Most of the fulltime instructors are employed by airlines and do some line flying as well.

the Northamerican way of being a flightinstructor does probably not sound more glorious then yours in NZ. pay is usually very low and people do it just do built some hours but it'll be much easier and faster do get a instructor licence on your faa licence - the point will be just the greencard. you know we got pretty strange in the us when it comes to flying schools and alien citiziens or instructors.

if i would be you, i'd stay where you are. the country is nice and the people are friendly. surely the jobs are out in europe and the us as the market is running dry of pilots in the commercial sector. you maybe should consider to quite instructing and getting grey hairs and start flying commercial (airlines or coporate does not really matter) but especially the corporate market is doing nicely in europe and there are not so many pilots around anymore.

wish you all the best
CH

whiskey1
20th Sep 2006, 04:52
shesellsseashellsair

Path to JAA,
Firstly I take it you have the right to live and work in Europe.

Need a JAA CPL (yes you can instruct on a PPL but take it you want to be paid) involves passing either the 9 (from memory) CPL or 14 ATPL exams. Pass a CPL flight test. You then need to do a JAA FI rating ( No allowance for existing holders).
As for cost depends where you do it.
My employer can help you with the first part.
See: http://www.waaviationcollege.com.au/
Hope that helps.

SD.
20th Sep 2006, 13:43
You then need to do a JAA FI rating ( No allowance for existing holders).

He doesn't have to do the full JAA FI course as an ICAO FI holder. The course is reduced to 15 hours flight training and 30 on the ground. :cool:

152wiseguy
20th Sep 2006, 14:04
Its true what you say SD but only in the UK. Other european states require the whole course to be completed regardless of any other ICAO instructor qualifications held:ok:

BillieBob
20th Sep 2006, 23:04
There is a popular misconception about the requirements for the holder of an ICAO instructor rating to obtain a JAA instructor rating. The statement by SD that "The course is reduced to 15 hours flight training and 30 on the ground." is not, strictly speaking, correct. The actual requirement is that holders of a non-JAA instructor rating shall:

"Have completed in accordance with JAR–FCL the approved relevant course(s) of theoretical instruction and flight training. The course may be modified, as approved by the Authority, taking into account the previous training and the experience of the applicant, but shall comprise at least 30 hours of ground instruction and 15 hours of dual flight instruction performed by a flight instructor holding a JAR–FCL licence and rating in accordance with JAR–FCL 1.330(f);"

It is clear, therefore, that the intention of the JAA is that most non-JAA rating holders will complete all or most of the full FI course of 125 ground and 30 hours flight training and that it is only the most experienced and accomplished that can expect to have the training reduced to 30 and 15 hours respectively.

SD.
20th Sep 2006, 23:54
Stand corrected Billie and wiseguy :\

Its the 'at least' I didn't read when browsing through the LASORS.

I wonder what the Authority would require of someone with around 600 hours instruction given on an FAA CFI, thats taught the JAA PPL overseas? :sad: