PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor

JP1
14th Sep 2006, 21:43
Can anyone say how easy it would be to start instructing part time?

I am currently at 1hr TT:{ , but if I blast away at some intensive courses, do I stand a chance of even being considered?

It seems that a lot of FI's are killing time until they get that big break. I'm under the impression that this means positions come around quickly as FI's move onto the flight deck.

Am I wrong or is there fierce competition for FI postions.

chris keeping
15th Sep 2006, 08:13
[Hi JP1. I was a part time flying instructor for some 25 years (in Hong Kong). Mainly weekends and public holidays. Great fun. In fact when Kai Tak was operational all of the club's instructors were part timers, with the exception of the RFI (resident flying instructor) who was employed on a fulltime basis.

MVE
15th Sep 2006, 09:50
Very easy, you'll be snowed under with offers if you speak to your local clubs/schools, as the airlines are hoovering up instructors at the moment, depends where you are in the country of course but I know Old Sarum Flying Club are looking for a full time instructor and would probably welcome another part time. (Salisbury) :ok:

AlphaMale
18th Sep 2006, 17:45
Out of curiosity what are the FI on in terms of pay?

I have often thought about it, especially if schools are looking for FI's ... But hearig a lot of people saying that the pay is the lowest of the low but you get to build up your hours in the air and teach excited newbies fly. Picking up very little/no bad habbits (ideal for an airline job later on :E ).

I'd be happy to take a pay cut to do something I'd love and knowing in the back of my mind it could be counting toward a possible airine job (albeit put me in better stead at least).

Thanks guys

Andrew

timzsta
18th Sep 2006, 19:29
I did FIC course over the winter and got a part time weekend FI job at a club I have been a member of for a number of years. In four months I have flown 75 hours. Don't seem like a great deal but I have already learnt a lot and improved my flying. And I have got paid for it which is a big step in the right direction after years of paying to fly.

Typically you can expect about £12-£15 per flying hour in terms of pay for teaching PPL. You maybe lucky and get some kind of retainer that might be in the region of £15 per day. You will earn nothing when the weather keeps you on the ground but you will get some hours in the logbook and there seems to be a shortage of FI's around the south of England at the moment.

I say go and do the course if you can afford it. It can only help you realise your ambition of making it to the flight deck.

UAU242
21st Sep 2006, 21:14
Hi there,
I'm also hoping to do an FI course. I was hoping to finish beginning summer next year, but looks like i'll be finishing at the end of the summer. I'll be missing out on the busy summer months, but will i also miss out on a job?

Cheers

UAU242

AlphaMale
8th Oct 2006, 00:22
I did FIC course over the winter and got a part time weekend FI job at a club I have been a member of for a number of years. In four months I have flown 75 hours. Don't seem like a great deal but I have already learnt a lot and improved my flying. And I have got paid for it which is a big step in the right direction after years of paying to fly.

There seems to be a shortage of FI's around the south of England at the moment.
I say go and do the course if you can afford it. It can only help you realise your ambition of making it to the flight deck.

Thanks very much for the advise. (Sorry for the late reply I was in the Dominican Republic for two weeks). Best part of the holiday was take off in the 767-300 :rolleyes: And I paid the extra for a window seat ... That's not to say the holiday wasn't good. :=

13.5 hour delay coming back due to the First Officer having a nose bleed too.

Thanks again

Andrew.