PDA

View Full Version : Blackbushe & Farnborough (Odiham) MATZ

Hampshire Hog
13th Sep 2006, 13:57
I know I should know the answer to this question - especially as I used to fly from Blackbushe, but can anyone tell me the routine for departing from Blackbushe when wanting to fly south through the Farnborough MATZ?

Is there a number to call, or should I just climb into the Blackbushe overhead and then call 125.250?

I know a MATZ penetration request is not compulsory, but there are some MATZ's I'd rather not fly through without talking to them first - Farnborough is one of them.

Any advice gratefully received.

HH

TCAS FAN
13th Sep 2006, 14:02
Why does Farnborough have a MATZ? It is no longer a military aerodrome, has been a civil licensed aerodrome for many years.

AlanM
13th Sep 2006, 14:22
Farnborough has an ATZ - not a MATZ

Or do you mean Odiham's MATZ/ATZ?? :8

Hampshire Hog
13th Sep 2006, 14:39
ok,

I mean Farnborough ATZ and Odiham MATZ, both of which are covered by Farnborough Radar on 125.25.

HH

cjhants
13th Sep 2006, 14:43
i normally climb into the EGLK overhead and then talk to f`boro. there is normally no problem, they like you to cross o/head the runway so as not to interfere with arriving/departing jets.

the only thing that worries me with this, is that i dont like to be in the EGLK o/head, not monitoring their freq.

Hampshire Hog
13th Sep 2006, 14:47
Thanks cjhants,

That's what I expected, but I wasn't sure. I have been overhead EGLF before - I always quite like watching the biz jets landing and TO from there!

I share your concern about the Blackbushe overhead though!

HH

smithgd
15th Sep 2006, 08:06
You could always head west for a couple miles if you don't like the EGLK overhead. When you book out with ATC tell them you are wanting to head south, they will probably talk to ATC on the phone to warn them. Besides if you intend talking to Farnborough you can squawk 0447, this tells Farnborough you will be contacting them ASAP.

Talkdownman
15th Sep 2006, 09:27
When you book out with ATC tell them you are wanting to head south, they will probably talk to ATC on the phone to warn them.Unlikely, unless specifically requested. Then that would be subject to FIS workload (and Farnborough answering the phone, of course......) It is not part of the Letter of Agreement between Farnborough and Blackbushe. There's nothing to stop you making that request with Farnborough ATC yourself by telephone. But it will not expedite an ATC clearance through the Farnborough ATZ. Farnborough would probably prefer the request by radio-telephone!

eyeinthesky
16th Sep 2006, 09:29
Unless this is a local agreement I know nothing about, I would STRONGLY discourage you from:

"Besides if you intend talking to Farnborough you can squawk 0447, this tells Farnborough you will be contacting them ASAP."

You should not select any discrete SSR code without instruction from the ATC unit responsible for it. You risk confusing them and misident against other traffic.

rustle
16th Sep 2006, 09:44
Unless this is a local agreement I know nothing about, I would STRONGLY discourage you from:

"Besides if you intend talking to Farnborough you can squawk 0447, this tells Farnborough you will be contacting them ASAP."

You should not select any discrete SSR code without instruction from the ATC unit responsible for it. You risk confusing them and misident against other traffic.

Has been the case for quite a while that 0447 used for EGLK departures, 0457 for EGTF departures. (i.e. non-circuit traffic, expecting to call Farnborough LARS for FIS/RIS/RAS rather than Heathrow/SVFR or NORDO ;)).

7 years maybe?

Talkdownman
16th Sep 2006, 10:13
0447 Farnborough LARS - Blackbushe Departures
0457 Farnborough LARS - Fairoaks Departures

See UK SSR Code Assignment Plan as detailed in the table at ENR 1-6-2-4 to ENR 1-6-2-8

rustle
16th Sep 2006, 12:02
See UK SSR Code Assignment Plan as detailed in the table at ENR 1-6-2-4 to ENR 1-6-2-8

Thanks, Tdm. Knew I'd read it somewhere but couldn't find the reference. :)

eyeinthesky
16th Sep 2006, 16:20
Thanks for the info. Not being based at or flying out of either Fairoaks or Blackbushe, I wouldn't have known about this, hence the caveat:
"Unless this is a local agreement I know nothing about".

You learn something every day!:cool:

Hampshire Hog
18th Sep 2006, 10:18
Thanks guys. Now you say it, I remember something about transponder codes from when I started learning at EGLK, but the reference is helpful.

HH

chevvron
19th Sep 2006, 11:55
The history being it was considered to be less workload for pilots (students especially) to (A) set 0447/0457 before takeoff then (B) Farnborough would issue a discrete code beginning 044 or 045 to the pilot when he/she calls thus requiring only one digit to be changed and avoid the risk of the pilot inadvertantly dialling through 7500, 7600 or 7700; simple eh?
And yes, Farnborough would prefer the request to route south from Blackbushe be made on RTF, thereby they can treat each individual aircraft on a dynamic basis eg 'route east side' (to avoid 24 departures) or 'route west side' to avoid 24 arrivals or 'through the overhead' (no arrivals or departures); of course it will be reversed if runway 06 is in use!

Hampshire Hog
19th Sep 2006, 12:49
Chevron,

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, in the ENR SSSR code plan, the notes state specifically that a pilot should not set a discrete code until told by the relevant authority. Irrespective of that, Farnborough are happy for us to set 0447 before contacting them?

Thanks

HH

chevvron
19th Sep 2006, 13:09
Yes, it's part of the letters of agreement with the relevant airfields.

Baron Von Mildred
22nd Sep 2006, 21:07
A word of warning Farnborough can be extremely busy especially at weekends when its sunny. Sometimes it can be impossible to get a word in edgeways, if so you might need to go over the top of the MATZ.