View Full Version : Qantas - Uk

Pages : [1] 2

TightSlot
13th Sep 2006, 08:41
The QANTAS - UK Thread

FD Floozy 12
13th Sep 2006, 11:53
Hi all

Have been invited to assessment day :) Can anyone advise me.......long hair up or down or doesn't matter?

Good luck to everyone attending interviews!! xx

ozskipper
14th Sep 2006, 17:38
It doesn't matter, but neat and tidy is the order of the day. One of the standards for girls is hair no longer than 30cm if in a pony tail. Useful to try and keep to our standards even during the interview process.

FD Floozy 12
15th Sep 2006, 09:11
thankyou! :)

EZYJET2006
17th Sep 2006, 14:14
I got offered the job!! Start in January hopefully! Anyone else??

ozskipper
17th Sep 2006, 18:10
Well done mr! Glad you're through and I'll see you online shortly no doubt :)

But, you have to change your nickname now.... :)

TC1
17th Sep 2006, 18:46
well done, you must be thrilled?
So you think it could be a Jan start-is that becouse of your current work comitments or is that just the next available start date?

EZYJET2006
17th Sep 2006, 18:58
Thanks! Yes very excited and happy about it! Really looking forward to it! Yes the next available course is unofficially in january, not ideal but oh well, i have the job lol.

Muizenberg
18th Sep 2006, 14:33
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any experience QF UK cabin crew could advise...would you leave BA Longhaul LHR for Qantas UK?? Been at BA for 3 years, very lucky in that I made it to Longhaul LHR in under 2 years, am first class trained. Have flown a total of 15 years...In a tread I read about the flexibility you have with your rosters/ability to trade, fly trips back to back, etc...I was also wondering what the promotion process is like/waiting time,etc. At BA as things stand I can't see being eligible for promotion before 7-10 years (you have to fall within a seniority range to be invited to apply for Purser). Any info anyone could pass along would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks!:)

striparella
18th Sep 2006, 17:43
^ My best friend works long haul for BA (me? I'm VS all the way...) and she also said something similar about having to be around years to get purser as it's done on seniority but one of her fellow crew said they'll have to change that now as you can't discriminate on seniority ((some lardy-da EU law!))

Not about Qantas i know but it might help your decision if you know you might be able to become purser sooner!

kmp1
18th Sep 2006, 22:50
where is the rest of the thread regarding trading etc? I'm on the fence about whether on not to try and switch from my current as well:confused:

keeperboy
19th Sep 2006, 13:41
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any experience QF UK cabin crew could advise...would you leave BA Longhaul LHR for Qantas UK?? Been at BA for 3 years, very lucky in that I made it to Longhaul LHR in under 2 years, am first class trained. Have flown a total of 15 years...In a tread I read about the flexibility you have with your rosters/ability to trade, fly trips back to back, etc...I was also wondering what the promotion process is like/waiting time,etc. At BA as things stand I can't see being eligible for promotion before 7-10 years (you have to fall within a seniority range to be invited to apply for Purser). Any info anyone could pass along would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks!:)

Are you MAD?? :ugh:

Can you imagine doing SIN BKK or HKG (constantly) for the 'eurogatwick-esque' division of QF with no box payment??

My mate was crew with QF-UK up until about a year ago. Maybe someone from QF can PM Muizemburg and let him/her know what the allowences are for a SIN or HKG. Its not my place to display such information.

Muizenberg
19th Sep 2006, 15:09
keeperboy,

Thank you for your candid response! Will take your feedback onboard...:ok:

TC1
20th Sep 2006, 05:22
Hi,
So did anyone have an assesment day on Tuesday?
If so how did you get on?

Mick Strigg
20th Sep 2006, 10:50
Invited to an assessment day - hoorah!

What is it like and what preparation has to be put in?

BMED LHR
20th Sep 2006, 12:38
keeperboy,

Thank you for your candid response! Will take your feedback onboard...:ok:

Lol ..That's another are you mad X 2 :)
Stick it at BA , You show off . BA Longhaul to QF , What a tease !!

ozskipper
22nd Sep 2006, 19:41
LOL - I'm with QF in the UK and was flying LH out of Australia before that (up on transfer from Aus).

To be honest Muizenberg it depends on what you're looking for. Yes, you're probably more likely to be promoted quickly within Qantas than BA. To give you some idea, there are 2 people who started flying with Qantas when the base first opened and have been promoted to CSM (like your CSD) in less than 2 years. However, you are going to fly less routes and you are going to earn less money.

But if you're looking for a smaller base and probably more flexibility with rostering then again you'll probably get more of that with Qantas.

BA, however, is often seen as the pinnacle of LH flying and you guys do seem to have very good conditions, so I can definately see the appeal. :E

Dicko17
23rd Sep 2006, 13:03
Hi people.

Can anyone tell me what QF UK's rules are on Visa's?

If i enter the UK on a 2 year visa from Australia will they employ me?

Any info would help.

Cheers

ezybus
23rd Sep 2006, 20:31
what is the take home pay per month on average?? how long are your trips away?

Eddy
24th Sep 2006, 10:39
what is the take home pay per month on average?? how long are your trips away?

I wasn't aware that QFUK actually had Pursers/CSD (CSMs)???

I thought that all the main crew on the Asia-UK Sectors were UK based but that the senior crew remained Australian?!

If I'm wrong, that's very interesting.

enay73
24th Sep 2006, 10:41
Hi guys,

just a quick question. My partner is a senior cabin crew for ezy and he would like to apply for Qantas, do you know if are they still recruiting? How much could be a salary par month?? I know it's too much ask on here but if someone of you works in qantas and wants just reply in private message I would really appreciate it. I hope so to get some answer from you.

Cheers
:) :) :)
Enay

wigglewash
24th Sep 2006, 10:54
Pickaboo!!!! Qantas dont do full time anymore.. Only all Contract Casual Basis.. however you would tak home about 2400-3500 Australian A fortnight.... u get a minimum of 20 allocated days a month and u do about 120 hours a of flying a month so its not that bad....... www.mam.net.au is where u apply these days :)

:eek:

Eddy
24th Sep 2006, 10:54
Hi guys,
just a quick question. My partner is a senior cabin crew for ezy and he would like to apply for Qantas, do you know if are they still recruiting? How much could be a salary par month?? I know it's too much ask on here but if someone of you works in qantas and wants just reply in private message I would really appreciate it. I hope so to get some answer from you.
Cheers
:) :) :)
Enay

Funny, this is EXACTLY the same question you asked in the Qantas UK thread. I have a funny feeling you'll see one of these posts (most likely this one) deleted.

enay73
24th Sep 2006, 11:11
I m not very expert with pc same as you!!!
I deleted.
Anyone can give me some information about the post above please, thanks!!

rapha345
24th Sep 2006, 11:36
Hi there, they are still recruiting because i received an email 3 days ago from them telling me to call them back one more time for have a date for an interview in London but i have already a job offered by ANA. And i refused the interview with them for the second time. For the salary when they called me for the phone interview they told me the basic is 16000 pounds after that there are flight allowances 92 euros in BKK and average 160 Euros in SIN and HKG paid in cash at your hotel and you also have others allowances but i dont remember how much .

mostie
24th Sep 2006, 11:43
Qantas UK are acting as trainers for new Emirates flight attendants.

Whenever they recruit scores leave QFUK for greener pastures........

Which is why QFUK are basically always recruiting.

ozskipper
24th Sep 2006, 12:12
The rank structure in the UK is the same as in Australia....

You have:

CSM (Customer Service Manager) which is like a BA CSD.
CSS (Customer Service Supervisor) which is like a BA Purser (but we have only one and is the CSM's deputy).
BFA (Business & First FA) works mostly in First or Business Class.
FA is obvious really.

We don't cross crew, so at the moment you'll work with London based crew only.

enay73
24th Sep 2006, 12:13
Hi there, they are still recruiting because i received an email 3 days ago from them telling me to call them back one more time for have a date for an interview in London but i have already a job offered by ANA. And i refused the interview with them for the second time. For the salary when they called me for the phone interview they told me the basic is 16000 pounds after that there are flight allowances 92 euros in BKK and average 160 Euros in SIN and HKG paid in cash at your hotel and you also have others allowances but i dont remember how much .

Hi Rapha
I sent a private message for you

ozskipper
24th Sep 2006, 12:21
Enay...

There is quite a lot of info about what you are asking in previous threads.... Especially around salary etc.

In short, FA's earn around £1050 - £1200 per month after tax plus another £500-£550 in local allowances (which are not taxed).

Yes, Qantas in the UK are still recruiting and you can expect that to continue over the next few months. However, there are a lot of applicants on the waiting list to be called, so you may not get a call straight away.

Mostie...

There is some element of truth to what you say, but its not scores that are leaving. Some go to BA, some to Emirates and some just leave. The main reason we're recruiting at the moment is to replace the Australian transferred crew who are going home next year.

Mods:
You'll probably do this anyway, but can you pop this thread into the QFUK thread, so I don't have to answer these questions again :P

enay73
24th Sep 2006, 12:31
Hi ozskipper

This is Enay's partner here.

Thank you very much for all that information, its very helpful..those allowences sound good I think?
That would certainly help to bring up the salery per month.

I was wondering also..how many trips you do per month and how long they might be?
Thanks again for all your help.

ozskipper
24th Sep 2006, 23:08
Hello Enays Partner :D

All are 4 day patterns with 27-47 hrs off in port. You do one trip a week with a minimum of 3 local days off after a trip not including the day you get in.

So you're looking at something like this....

MTWTFSSMTWTFSS
TTTTOOOTTTTOOO
P A L L
T=Trip O=Off
P=PM Departure, A=AM Arrival, L=Lunch time Departure/Arrival.

The allowances are reasonable, but it depends on how much you spend while you're away. If you wee it up the wall then I suppose it's not that great, but if your "sensible" with it then you can save quite a lot. I'm somewhere in between. A sensy-wee'er you might say. :D

Dicko17
25th Sep 2006, 08:55
Hey peoples.

I was just wondering what QF UK's rules are in terms of Visa's.

Would they employ someone with a two year Visa isured in Australia?

If they do accept Ozzy Visa's what kind would they prefer? Working Holiday for example.

Cheers any advice would be great.

Eddy
25th Sep 2006, 09:34
Hey peoples.
If they do accept Ozzy Visa's what kind would they prefer? Working Holiday for example.

I assume you're Australian? So your question is whether you'd be able to work for QFUK while visiting the UK on a WHV?

Are the WHVs not the same as those issued to UK passport holders in that they restrict you from working for the same employer for a period of more than three months?

HeavenScent
25th Sep 2006, 12:46
Hey guys

Just wondering if anyone was at the Welcome Aboard day on Saturday 23 Sept?

I was supposed to be there but missed my flight from Belfast Airport due to staying behind on Friday evening in the office to help my boss finish a tender. Rushed to the airport and missed check in by ten minutes. Im really annoyed and devastated as I had been looking forward to this for 5 weeks. Bought a new suit, swotted up on the company etc etc.

I called this morning to explain and the lady, who was very nice, explained to me I would have to wait until next year to reapply again.:(

Aw well, I guess it wasnt meant to be - still gutted though. Thats what i get for helping out at the office, lol!!:sad:

Good luck for those going in the next few weeks and congrats to all who have gotten through!

Claire:)

ozskipper
25th Sep 2006, 19:40
Hey peoples.

Out of luck on this one unfortunately. QFUK will not employ you on a WHV as it does not provide the return on investment and isn't flexible enough. You really need an unrestricted visa such as ancestry, partner/spouse, or indefinate leave to remain visa.

I assume you're Australian? So your question is whether you'd be able to work for QFUK while visiting the UK on a WHV?
Are the WHVs not the same as those issued to UK passport holders in that they restrict you from working for the same employer for a period of more than three months?

Actually no, the visa issued to Commonwealth citizens visiting the UK is different from the visa issued to British citizens visiting Australia. Commonwealth citizens do not have the same restrictions as changing jobs every 3 months imposed on them as you would in Australia. Although to be honest, it's not really enforced in Australia anyway. The only restriction imposed by the WHV in the UK is that you must not work for more than 12 months of the 24 months the visa is issued for.

sydney s/h
25th Sep 2006, 21:43
Ozskipper,

Thanks for all your responses to the questions people post.

Its always interesting to read your posts (and informative). Especially for someone who is considering a transfer up your way!

Keep it up!

Thanks mate.:ok:

indamiddle
26th Sep 2006, 04:42
1day slip_sin sin$147
bkk thb 2050
hkg hkd 690
2 day slips...2nd day allowance is larger as a meal provided
on board inbound 1st day reduces allowance.
there were many 3 day plus slips in asia but these are now
basically gone. one crew member lhr estimates reduction in
allowances due to less slip time has cost 400 gbp a month.
all figures above are an approximate but are definitely less
than ba...something to do with uk taxes???
whatever decisions people make, salary/allowances are not everything
but poverty is not something most aspire to

ozskipper
28th Sep 2006, 10:59
Thanks Sydney S/H - I really appreciate you saying that! :)

vodkaholic
28th Sep 2006, 11:45
somebody told me that although you only fly to those 3 destinations, when you are in hong kong you also do a flight to sydney and stay in sydney for a few days then fly back to hong kong and then back to uk. is this true?!

ozskipper
28th Sep 2006, 12:52
Completely untrue.

LHR based crew fly only to / from Asia and never down to Australia.

AUS based crew fly to LHR on one flight per day via SIN.

GalleyChick
28th Sep 2006, 15:56
haha vodkaholic who spread that rumour? Too funny, I wish we would actually get work trips to Sydney, then I could visit my family. When we first started flying in the UK we would get 6-day trips SIN and HKG and some of us would actually go home to Australia for a 2 day break in the 4 days off we would have in slip port. It was stressfull to do I tell ya.

keeperboy
28th Sep 2006, 16:44
1day slip_sin sin$147
bkk thb 2050
hkg hkd 690
2 day slips...2nd day allowance is larger as a meal provided
on board inbound 1st day reduces allowance..
all figures above are an approximate but are definitely less
than ba...something to do with uk taxes???
whatever decisions people make, salary/allowances are not everything
but poverty is not something most aspire to

The actual meal allowance rates look pretty similar to ours (BA's).

But we make most of our money from the additional non-meal allowances we get: 'box payments' (sliding scale payments for long range sectors) and overtime on all long range sectors.

ice_with_that
29th Sep 2006, 12:00
Hi there,

I have been told that you get rostered a month standby once a year. My friend has been told you get standby every other month. What's the story folks????

GalleyChick
29th Sep 2006, 18:25
Reserve month as we were told was supposed to be rostered once every 10-12 months for one month. I know friends who've had it twice in the last year. I haven't had it yet. Luck of the draw I guess. A reserve month is basically a month of available days that can be changed into trips when and if needed.

You don't get standby every other month. You get standby days coming through on your roster where you are basically "on call" for a duty in case someone calls in sick. But these are random days built in to your roster not a whole month of it.

chillchel
2nd Oct 2006, 10:13
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info on this thread (esp Ozskipper). Have been offered Qantas and have found it hard to get a definitive answer re take home pay. Currently earn just under 16 k a year so think may just scrape a bit more. Be grateful for reponses! Is so nervewracking leaving a job that you actually enjoy!

Mick Strigg
2nd Oct 2006, 11:50
Invited to an assessment day - hoorah!

What is it like and what preparation has to be put in?

I've had no responses to my original question. Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers?

kmp1
2nd Oct 2006, 13:49
Pickaboo!!!! Qantas dont do full time anymore.. Only all Contract Casual Basis.. however you would tak home about 2400-3500 Australian A fortnight.... u get a minimum of 20 allocated days a month and u do about 120 hours a of flying a month so its not that bad....... www.mam.net.au (http://www.mam.net.au) is where u apply these days :)

:eek:

is this relating to QF Australia or QFUK? I was thinking about applying to QFUK but not if it is just contract or casual..... Can anyone clarify? and also can anyone please tell me the take home pay for QFUK in pounds? plus what are the flight pass benefits?

Thanks so much

GalleyChick
2nd Oct 2006, 19:38
kmp1

The casual system is Qantas Australia not Qantas UK. Qantas UK only employ full time flight attendants. Take home pay varies depending on how many flights you were rostered. It's around 950-1200 pounds give or take. Then you have your pay in hand allowances in slip ports.

What do you mean by flight pass benefits?

kmp1
2nd Oct 2006, 22:32
Thanks for your reply!
By flight pass benefits - I mean travel discounts - what is offered for employees of QFUK and their families for travel on QF or other carriers?

Also, is that casual / contract hiring for QF Australia going to be a permanent thing? I'm living in the UK, but hope to one day move back to Australia, and was wondering about this for the future.

Thanks for your reply.

Left2assist
2nd Oct 2006, 22:41
"is casual / contract hiring for QF Australia going to be a permanent thing?"

------------------------

If the howard government remains in power I would imagine so.
There are only two ways to get a job as a flight attendant for Qantas.

One is as a casual employee for the labour hire company MAM.
The other is to leave Australia and apply in Thailand, New Zealand or the UK.

In Australia now the only value based on the life of a human being is how cheaply you will work [unless you are from the "big end of town" then the reverse applies].

kmp1
2nd Oct 2006, 22:49
So does that mean the existing QF Australia Flight Attendants are under this new contract system? And what does that mean for the AO crews?

GalleyChick
2nd Oct 2006, 23:00
The existing flight attendants are working under their own conditions as when they started. Qantas did not make existing flight attendants casuals. Only new recruits have to apply through MAM and become casual QF flight attendants.

ozskipper
3rd Oct 2006, 09:26
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the info on this thread (esp Ozskipper). Have been offered Qantas and have found it hard to get a definitive answer re take home pay. Currently earn just under 16 k a year so think may just scrape a bit more. Be grateful for reponses! Is so nervewracking leaving a job that you actually enjoy!

Around £1000-£1200 per month (after tax) in basic & sector pay and then you also have locally paid allowances which are paid while you are in port. They add up to around £500-£550 per month, depending on which port you fly into. The allowances are not taxed. So in answer to your question you are going to take home approx £1500 - £1700 per month. I'm not sure what works out to be before tax annually but its more than £16K!!

Thanks for your reply!
By flight pass benefits - I mean travel discounts - what is offered for employees of QFUK and their families for travel on QF or other carriers?

Thanks for your reply.

You get unlimited ID90 trips for you and companion on Qantas Group services, unlimited ID75 trips for your parents on Qantas Group services. You also get unlimited ID50 trips for you, companion and parents on all ZED (Zonal Employee Discount) carriers (most major carriers). There are some exceptions / conditions to ZED fares, but the above is a good rule of thumb.

chillchel
3rd Oct 2006, 11:45
Thanks so much. Cant wait to start...have heard everyone is really nice and helpful, think you just proved it!

kmp1
4th Oct 2006, 09:54
Yes Thanks so much OzSkipper! I know you've had to repeat several bits of information. I am weighing up whether to apply or stick with my current employer which pays about the same but seems to have much better flight benefits. I just need to get to the LHR base, so not sure whether I ever will!
I'm hoping that QFUK will not go to Contract / casual like QF Australia.....
Thanks again - you're info has been really helpful.... (I'm still not sure what is best to do! I would love to worrk for QF!)

Pilas
5th Oct 2006, 14:28
Hi I have just a few questions that I hope some one will be able to answer for me.

What union is there for Qantas cabin crew in the UK?

Were are the training of cabin crew taking place?
Will there be provided accommodation durring training for someone living in another country?

Are there any plans to expand the network out of the UK?

What destinations is used to fly charter to from the UK within the EU? how often is there a charter flight on the schedule?

Thanks

P

Flying Fairy
5th Oct 2006, 14:33
Hi just wondered if anyone knows when the next training course may start? I am thinking about applying but would not be available til about February so not sure whether to put the application in just yet???

Thanks!!

J. Aniston 2
6th Oct 2006, 18:59
hello everyone, I have got an interview with Qantas the 20th october, I am living a dream I know it is hard to get the job...specially if you aren' t a cabin crew already! I will try!! I think I am the only one not interested about how much they pay I love the destinations Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong are my favourit cities in the world...and also i love Australia and the people! I just wondering how to study and if someone have got some tips..please let me know!!! I need some help!! :confused:

THANKS ;)

FD Floozy 12
7th Oct 2006, 13:54
Hi, got some questions......

Do crew ever feel lonely or like they'd prefer to be at home when downroute? I'm asking because I'm late 30's and, although single, do often appreciate home comforts.

Also, how are 'newbies' generally treated by other crew? I'm in a senior position with my current airline, and although I have no problem with teamwork and working 'under' others, in my experience sometimes established crew unfortunately treat new crew like dirt. Would hate to feel like the new kid at school!

Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially from current QFUK crew. Thanks!

Have you heard this!
7th Oct 2006, 14:05
What is the average take home pay per month? Bottom line after tax etc.

Tess Tickelss
7th Oct 2006, 16:00

It's been quoted twice on this page already. Just scroll up.

ozskipper
7th Oct 2006, 17:06
Hi, got some questions......

Do crew ever feel lonely or like they'd prefer to be at home when downroute? I'm asking because I'm late 30's and, although single, do often appreciate home comforts.

Also, how are 'newbies' generally treated by other crew? I'm in a senior position with my current airline, and although I have no problem with teamwork and working 'under' others, in my experience sometimes established crew unfortunately treat new crew like dirt. Would hate to feel like the new kid at school!

Any feedback would be much appreciated, especially from current QFUK crew. Thanks!

Sometimes I'd rather be at home, but then again I only work once a week, so its all relative really. :) Occasionally I get a bit bored on my own, especially if its a crew that either do nothing or you're not invited along (it does happen from time to time), but I take my own activities (books, laptop, porn :) ) to keep myself occupied.

Most crew will treat you very well. The base is mostly full of great people. You will get the odd tool who thinks they're better than everyone else. But we all know who they are and have a good giggle at them. The CSS and CSM's usually really look after newbies, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Not being rude, but if you scan up just a little bit it's right there. Look for the other post of mine on the last page :)

RNboi
8th Oct 2006, 08:26
Guys, I wonder if you can help, the other morning I received a phone call from a lady called Ann in recruitment asking if I had 15 minutes to go through some questions, unfortunately I did not as was just checking in for a flight. She gave me a tel number to call her back on this week but I have somehow misplaced it, does anyone have the number for Qantas Recruitment as I dont want to miss out on this opportunity. Thanks :)

ozskipper
8th Oct 2006, 10:04
:) 08700 927 092 :)

Don't lose it again :}

BMED LHR
8th Oct 2006, 10:16
Guys, I wonder if you can help, the other morning I received a phone call from a lady called Ann in recruitment asking if I had 15 minutes to go through some questions, unfortunately I did not as was just checking in for a flight. She gave me a tel number to call her back on this week but I have somehow misplaced it, does anyone have the number for Qantas Recruitment as I dont want to miss out on this opportunity. Thanks :)

Hello ,
They will do a mini Interview over the phone ..why do you want to work Qantas and a few Customer service examples , Just write some down before you call and GOOD LUCK !!:)

RNboi
8th Oct 2006, 14:31
Thanks guys.

RNboi
8th Oct 2006, 15:00
:) 08700 927 092 :)

Don't lose it again :}

Think I may have to can the idea, just measured myself in cm and I actually come in at 188cm and the max is 183cm, not sure how strict they are at Qantas may still give it a go. Dont really understand the max height restriction as the work is on the 747! I currently work on them with BA very comfortably, anyone got any insight?

ozskipper
8th Oct 2006, 20:07
We are very strict on it. You will be measured on your assessment day and although you'll be allowed to go through the process you will not progress any further.

Although a 747 is a large aircraft there are several areas on our aircraft configurations which are incompatible with quite tall people. The upper deck galley, for example, barely accommodates someone who is 183cm let alone 188cm.

Some of the reasoning (flawed or not) comes from the fact that in Australia you fly on several different aircraft other than 747's and it comes down to a occupational safety issue in that the constant ducking and bending (and head strikes if your clumsy) may leave Qantas open for a claim.

Sorry mr!

chillchel
9th Oct 2006, 11:58
Hiya...can anyone tell me, do you have to buy 2 pairs of shoes, one for onboard with low heel and one for off the a/c, boarding etc. Or will one shoe 'fit all'? Not that I'm complaining...at the risk of sounding bit bimbo I don't have anything against the odd shoe shop outing, (even if these are more reminiscent of the sort of thing granny would wear!)

GalleyChick
9th Oct 2006, 15:41
For the ladies it's your decision to have one or two pairs of shoes. If you're wearing the dress or skirt you must wear court shoes with a heel size of 2cm-3.5cm (app.) - you can't wear stiletto heels either. After take off you can change into flat shoes if you wish - that's what I do. If you are wearing the pants you can choose to wear court shoes or flat shoes. I wear my flats with my pants (not that I wear the pants anymore) thus not having to get changed onboard.

ozskipper
9th Oct 2006, 20:19
And for the boys..... u can wear stillettos, pumps, slingbacks.....

I personally like my comfortable pumps :)

chillchel
10th Oct 2006, 09:26
Thanks galleychick...most appreciated. And, ozskipper, bet the pumps look fab.

Bad Adventures
10th Oct 2006, 12:41
Interesting with a base size of only around 400, there always seems the need to keep recruiting.:} :} On to greener pastures I guess. Has the base manager been using the crew rest onboard again lately? := Now there's professionalism for you. :yuk:

ozskipper
10th Oct 2006, 13:16
Groan... Time to stir the pot again?

Mick Strigg
11th Oct 2006, 09:03
Lots of info on what shoes to wear when you are in, but there is absolutely no information in this thread on how to get a job with this company!

Come on somebody, please tell me what to expect at interview in a couple of weeks. Thank you

Mick

SpiritofAus
11th Oct 2006, 19:05
Change of attitude might be in order!!! :=

kmp1
11th Oct 2006, 21:45
Think I may have to can the idea, just measured myself in cm and I actually come in at 188cm and the max is 183cm, not sure how strict they are at Qantas may still give it a go. Dont really understand the max height restriction as the work is on the 747! I currently work on them with BA very comfortably, anyone got any insight?

RNboi, I was just wondering why you are leaving BA? Just curious that's all as I've been going back and forth on applying, but the seniority thing is a big one.... Longer I stay - harder to leave.

Head_in_clouds
12th Oct 2006, 10:08
Can any Qantas Crew help. What kind of info do they ask about aus at the interview. Do you get asked lots of questions in flight about aus, if so what? Knowing about aus has such a wide range of subjects it would be interesting to know what they require you to know?

Flying Fairy
12th Oct 2006, 22:56
Just wondered if any new routes are likely to be coming up soon? Also I have heard that Qantas UK do some charters to Frankfurt in the summer-not sure how true this is????

ozskipper
13th Oct 2006, 16:46
Lots of info on what shoes to wear when you are in, but there is absolutely no information in this thread on how to get a job with this company!
Come on somebody, please tell me what to expect at interview in a couple of weeks. Thank you
Mick
Mick, try doing a search on previous threads as there has been much information provided in the past. Not much has really changed since then to be honest. The processes are the same and there are lots of tips on what to expect and so on. I've neither the time or inclination to provide it all again - no offence, but flying and internet porn takes up a considerable amount of my time these days.
Can any Qantas Crew help. What kind of info do they ask about aus at the interview. Do you get asked lots of questions in flight about aus, if so what? Knowing about aus has such a wide range of subjects it would be interesting to know what they require you to know?
Obviously working for an Australian carrier there is an expectation that you will know a little bit about the company and of course the country of its origin. I would suggest knowing a little about cities, what the capital is, the "Australian culture" (if we have one :eek: ), and of course Qantas itself. If you're not familiar with Australians or you don't really know any - try and meet some to make sure you want to work with us. :) We're not everyone's cup of tea, especially if you're not used to our sense of humour and general lack of sensitivity - but overall we're pretty nice :)
Just wondered if any new routes are likely to be coming up soon? Also I have heard that Qantas UK do some charters to Frankfurt in the summer-not sure how true this is????
There's been a lot of speculation about new routes in/out of LHR. To be honest its all just speculation at the moment although it is more positive now that the 28 flights a week cap has been lifted. So maybe.....
And yes, we do summer charters to several European destinations including FRA, LCA, VCE and a few others....

kmp1
16th Oct 2006, 10:57
also wondering what happens with rostering -- is there any bidding?
What are the options for trip trading / dropping trips etc? Is there any of that? How much is based on seniority / bidding etc?
Also, is there the option of taking the Jumpseat or crew seat instead of ID90's?
Thanks so much.....

GalleyChick
16th Oct 2006, 12:38
kmp1 - rostering is done by the computer system. we don´t have any seniority in the UK base so there is no bidding for rosters only for annual leave and that´s done on a ´bingo´system. Once you get your roster it´s up to you to change it by trying to swap with another crew member. You can´t really drop a trip unless you´re picking up another trip starting earlier. You can ask crewing to get you a trip on an earlier day if there is one to pick up, then you can drop your trip. It´s a first come first served thing with picking up trips in "open time".

Jump seat or crew seats are only available on request when you are travelling on staff travel by asking for permission first. I think jumpseats are available to flying crew only and crew rest seats to crew and families by asking permission from the crew working that flight.

northern_boy
16th Oct 2006, 16:44
Hey everyone.

I will be starting a training course with QCCUK on November 6th and wondered if anyone else will be on this course? If so it would be great to hear from you.

I'm soooo excited, and am really looking forward to it.

Good luck to everyone else that is in the selection process, what ever stage you're at.

All the best.

:O

ozskipper
16th Oct 2006, 17:25
Congrats mr. See you around the base sometime :)

northern_boy
16th Oct 2006, 18:05
Thanks for that ozskipper!

So far, everyone I've dealt with in the recruitment process has been really lovely and genuinly helpful which makes me even more happy to soon be working for the airline!

See you soon matey :D

web
17th Oct 2006, 11:33
Hi there,

Can any one give me some tips for my welcome aboard day on saturday?

Thank you

p.s very nervous:rolleyes:

Hokkaido
17th Oct 2006, 12:49
Thanks Galley chick :ok: My current job is about seniority for EVERYTHING so it would be so nice for a change! -- I applied online last night and received 2 emails today! It sounds great -- I'm just wondering how long until I hear something more! Can't wait!

It took around two weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. Good luck!

I Just Want To Fly
17th Oct 2006, 20:06
Just had my phone interview today, and am hoping to attend the assessment day in early november.

Allowances are £40 - £50 per night.

Only one flight per week is operated SYD-LHR, all other LHR-SIN/BKK/HKG sectors are wholly operated by QFUK crew, who then hand the a/c to Aussie crew.

I hope I get through, I'm an aussie in london, and would really love to fly for my flag carrier. I'm at the very upper limit of the height restrictions. I really hope I get through!!!

ozskipper
17th Oct 2006, 20:24
Just had my phone interview today, and am hoping to attend the assessment day in early november.
Allowances are £40 - £50 per night.
Only one flight per week is operated SYD-LHR, all other LHR-SIN/BKK/HKG sectors are wholly operated by QFUK crew, who then hand the a/c to Aussie crew.
I hope I get through, I'm an aussie in london, and would really love to fly for my flag carrier. I'm at the very upper limit of the height restrictions. I really hope I get through!!!

Hmm, that information is not entirely accurate. The allowance is based on the slip port and how long you are away for. On average it works out to be approx £400 - £500 per month give or take. You also get sector pay (£50 per sector).

The SYD/SIN/LHR/SIN/SYD flight is operated daily but is not crewed by London based crew - its Australian based crew. The remaining 3 daily flights via HKG or SIN or BKK are operated by London based crew.

If you are 163 to 183 cm in height its fine. If you are outside that (even by a cm) you don't meet the specified criteria and will not be invited to participate further.

Hokkaido
17th Oct 2006, 21:16
Hey everyone.

I will be starting a training course with QCCUK on November 6th and wondered if anyone else will be on this course? If so it would be great to hear from you.

I'm soooo excited, and am really looking forward to it.

Good luck to everyone else that is in the selection process, what ever stage you're at.

All the best.

:O
How long after the assessment day did you find out that you'd been accepted?

kmp1
18th Oct 2006, 02:21
It took around two weeks before I was contacted for a phone interview. Good luck!

Thanks Hokkaido!
Were you contacted by phone or email?

Hokkaido
18th Oct 2006, 07:28
Thanks Hokkaido!
Were you contacted by phone or email?

I was contacted by phone, had the 'over the phone interview' then and threre...a bit scary, but they were very friendly.

Im off to the assessment day soon.

kmp1
18th Oct 2006, 14:13
good luck Hokkaido! I hope I hear something soon! :)

Off Stand
18th Oct 2006, 15:00
My sister was meant to have an interview on 7th Nov, QF have just called and brought it forward to this Friday!!

As she is working up until then, she is limited to the research she can do, so is there any quick do's and don't's I could tell her?

Thanks in advance for your time guys, really appreciated.

flydan
18th Oct 2006, 18:47
:) have just discovered this site - fab.

I to am starting with Qantas CCUK on 06th November.

Cant belive my luck and am so too looking forward to it:)

pinkypants
18th Oct 2006, 19:26
Hi everyone,

Is anyone going to interview on the 21st oct?? I cant wait!!

Also can anyone help re training as to how long its for and if you need to stay in london??:O

ozskipper
18th Oct 2006, 20:26
The assessment goes for roughly 3.5 hrs and if you are successful during the morning session you'll be asked to stay back for a panel interview in the afternoon.

You won't need to stay overnight on the day of the interview, but if you have a long commute you might want to come down the night before.

northern_boy
18th Oct 2006, 21:04
Well done matey. Look forward to meeting you on the 6th.

I'm really excited as well :) :)

:) have just discovered this site - fab.

I to am starting with Qantas CCUK on 06th November.

Cant belive my luck and am so too looking forward to it:)

Head_in_clouds
18th Oct 2006, 21:15
Hi guys

I'm with you on the 21st so excited. I'm also confused:confused: as it said to learn about aus and qantas but people are saying you don't need to know this. Anyone whos just got through is this true:confused:

northern_boy
18th Oct 2006, 21:16
How long after the assessment day did you find out that you'd been accepted?

Hey

Well I found out a few days after my assessment that I had been invited to a medical but I'd imagine that it's the same with a lot of airlines, in that you hear between 7 and 14 days.

Although the wait feels a lot longer!!!!!

All the best! :)

Hokkaido
19th Oct 2006, 07:20
Hi everyone,

Is anyone going to interview on the 21st oct?? I cant wait!!

Also can anyone help re training as to how long its for and if you need to stay in london??:O

Im there on the 21st as well...feeling a bit nervous...

pinkypants
19th Oct 2006, 11:18
Im there on the 21st as well...feeling a bit nervous...

Good luck!!:ok: im staying at the jurys inn tomorrow night so i dont have to travel down in the morning from Leicester.

V nervous now!:uhoh:

pinkypants
19th Oct 2006, 11:22
Hey

Well I found out a few days after my assessment that I had been invited to a medical but I'd imagine that it's the same with a lot of airlines, in that you hear between 7 and 14 days.

Although the wait feels a lot longer!!!!!

All the best! :)

Hi Nothern Boy,

I know you cant say much but how was the assessment day?? are they still doing tests and presentations?

Got my interview on sat and trying to be as prepared as possible!

kmp1
19th Oct 2006, 13:35
Hi guys

I'm with you on the 21st so excited. I'm also confused:confused: as it said to learn about aus and qantas but people are saying you don't need to know this. Anyone whos just got through is this true:confused:

You should learn this anyway, since Australia is so fabulous - regardless of the job! ;)

ozskipper
19th Oct 2006, 17:10
You will need to know about Qantas! To be blunt, you should know a lot about any airline you apply to! Otherwise it may not be the kind of the airline you want to fly for.

As for knowing about Australia, this is really important. Qantas is an Aussie airline and many of the passengers are travelling via Asia to get to Australia.

The passengers look to you as an ambassador for Qantas and will ask questions about Aus, so you can kinda see why you need to know about Australia!!

Head_in_clouds
19th Oct 2006, 17:27
thanks guys i've been busy studying anyway despite people saying you don't need to know it. I'm really worried as a crew friend of mine got through but only 15 out of 40 now i'm worried and chances are slim but i guess the only tip is to be smiling and happy. am i right?:eek:

glider12000
19th Oct 2006, 20:47
I have my interview on the 10th November:}

Good luck everyone else

swashbuckler
19th Oct 2006, 22:14
hello guys from France,
i'd just like to know if you guys can live in London w/ what Qantas offers as a salary...that doesn't seem to be a lot of money, eh ?
Thanks in anticipation.

northern_boy
19th Oct 2006, 22:39
Hi Nothern Boy,

I know you cant say much but how was the assessment day?? are they still doing tests and presentations?

Got my interview on sat and trying to be as prepared as possible!

Hi Pinkypants

Well I found the assessment day to be a really nice day, but also be prepared for a long day if you're there for the duration.

I don't know if they vary the assessment day, but for me the morning was registration, and a couple of group tasks. Then a break before you found out the outcome of the morning. If successful in the first part of the day, you're then given a time for an interview in the afternoon.

To be honest, the best advice I can give is to be yourself; I'm sure it sounds like a cliche but I'd imagine the assessors want to see the real you.

All the very best of luck to you :)

glider12000
19th Oct 2006, 23:27
Oh could anyone advise me on whether QANTAS are concerned about weight.

They asked about my height but not my weight. Whilst i`m not exactly small, i`m not huge, but my weight is something that worries me, particularly if they use a BMI scale.

I work for Excel now and they weighed me, but any advice would be welcome.

I Just Want To Fly
20th Oct 2006, 00:16
Can anyone tell me when, if, and how they measure your height?

kmp1
20th Oct 2006, 01:15
It was quoted back a few pages.....
We are very strict on it. You will be measured on your assessment day and although you'll be allowed to go through the process you will not progress any further.

Although a 747 is a large aircraft there are several areas on our aircraft configurations which are incompatible with quite tall people. The upper deck galley, for example, barely accommodates someone who is 183cm let alone 188cm

Hokkaido
20th Oct 2006, 09:32
thanks guys i've been busy studying anyway despite people saying you don't need to know it. I'm really worried as a crew friend of mine got through but only 15 out of 40 now i'm worried and chances are slim but i guess the only tip is to be smiling and happy. am i right?:eek:
15 out of 40? Are you saying that they are taking 40 in total and have already taken 25?

Head_in_clouds
20th Oct 2006, 11:39
No sorry. What I ment was they group interview 40 everyday and only take about 15 maybe less to be interviewed 2-2-1. The remaining large group go home.:{ I've already got butterflies just thinking it. Don't let it get you down though. I was worried but now I'm trying to be optimistic as you won't be yourself if you don't enjoy it and worry.

Hokkaido
20th Oct 2006, 13:11
Ooops, sorry misread what you said. :O 15 out of 40 isnt too bad I guess - almost half..:)

Head_in_clouds
20th Oct 2006, 13:34
thats the way to look at it be positive:D

Muizenberg
20th Oct 2006, 14:37
Just curious?? Is there Union representation at QFCCUK??

GalleyChick
20th Oct 2006, 15:49
Yes there is union representatives at QFCCUK in the London union. I am flying with one of our representatives on my trip this week. They are very informative up here and are very approachable.

leyahh
20th Oct 2006, 20:54
Hi,
I am Leya, French girl and I'll come to London on the 11th of Nov for the Qantas assessment day. I hope I'll find out here lots of tips because I am quite nervous! and especially because English is not my mother tongue and I've never been to Australia. Are there other persons here who are coming on this day? If you're willing to give me some advices that would be really nice!!
Thank You!

covent garden man
21st Oct 2006, 10:03
Hi.. i had my interview yesterday, and despite feeling that I performed very well during the initial 2 group activities..... (inclusive, not domineering/pushy, charming, witty !!!!! LOL)..... i wasn't asked to stay beyond that. It seemed that the people asked to stay did have a 2nd language.... i may be wrong.... or maybe i just wasn't pushy/loud enough!!! Oh well...... got interview for virgin atlantic on wednesday...... good luck at qantas:)

kmp1
21st Oct 2006, 14:07
I have applied online and since logged in to the "Quiet Agent" Site and noticed there is more profile to fill out. It was quite separate from the application. Does this need to be filled out as well given that I was asked to attach my CV as part of the application? I am frantically trying to get all of the "Quiet Agent" profile filled out now..... Anyone know?

ozskipper
21st Oct 2006, 15:30
Fill everything out :)

kmp1
21st Oct 2006, 15:56
Thanks Oz, all completed - I'm glad I caught that! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing34.gif

jarviboy
21st Oct 2006, 21:48
Hi, to anyone who attended the welcome aboard day on 18 October, have you heard anything as yet? Cheers :)

J. Aniston 2
22nd Oct 2006, 08:04
Hello everyone,
i got thru to the final stage on friday!!:) so really happy!!!i know that doesn't mean that i do have a job for sure but feelling good right now!!The day was great and they make us very welcome.For those going next..be yourself smile all the time be friendly and when you do the team assesment be nice with others and try to involt evryone in the group and agree with anyone:p good luck guys!!!!;)

pinkypants
22nd Oct 2006, 08:40
Hi Pinkypants

Well I found the assessment day to be a really nice day, but also be prepared for a long day if you're there for the duration.

I don't know if they vary the assessment day, but for me the morning was registration, and a couple of group tasks. Then a break before you found out the outcome of the morning. If successful in the first part of the day, you're then given a time for an interview in the afternoon.

To be honest, the best advice I can give is to be yourself; I'm sure it sounds like a cliche but I'd imagine the assessors want to see the real you.

All the very best of luck to you :)

Hi Northern boy,

Got through!! had my interview and all seems to have gone well so fingers crossed.

Was shocked how many got through to interview (only 9!) but its so true when you say just be yourself on the day.

Have you got a start date yet?? im so eager ive been looking into accomodation for the training!!

;)

pinkypants
22nd Oct 2006, 08:46
Good luck!!:ok: im staying at the jurys inn tomorrow night so i dont have to travel down in the morning from Leicester.

V nervous now!:uhoh:

Hey you good to meet you yesterday, is it back to work on monday as normal?? :ugh:

just a waiting game now, letme know as soon as you get the call!!!!:uhoh:

northern_boy
22nd Oct 2006, 09:20
Hey

Well done. You must be really pleased!!! That's great news. :D Now is the difficult bit - the waiting!!!!

I start my training on November 6th....YAY!!! I can't wait!! In a way it still hasn't sunk in yet!

seadolphins77
22nd Oct 2006, 10:55
Hi everbody,
I was supposed 2 start the QF course of July, but had problems (how upsetting!!!:{ ) because of a barotrauma (I'm already FA...). I look forward to starting and you're helping me in doing my choice 2 call them back, cause now I would be ready 2 start. I have just one simple question: do you think it's possible to commute, as I live in Italy...?
Thanks a lot.
Sue

GalleyChick
22nd Oct 2006, 21:27
Hi everbody,
I was supposed 2 start the QF course of July, but had problems (how upsetting!!!:{ ) because of a barotrauma (I'm already FA...). I look forward to starting and you're helping me in doing my choice 2 call them back, cause now I would be ready 2 start. I have just one simple question: do you think it's possible to commute, as I live in Italy...?
Thanks a lot.
Sue

We have quite a few commuters in the UK base - living in Rome, Venice, Paris, Barcelona, Brussels etc.... You can live wherever you like as long as you can make it for sign on. The commuters usually try to move their trips around and work 2 trips in a row so that they can get blocks of days off together to go home. They also try to swap for the BKK and SIN that sign on late so that they can get their flight from home to london on the same day. When you are on reserve however you must be at least 90 minutes away from the base in case you are called for a duty (it happens a lot). Commuters either stay in a hotel near the airport or stay with friends when they have reserve days or training days.

Head_in_clouds
22nd Oct 2006, 22:16
Hi Guys

I'm so gutted as I went to the recruitment day last week and didn't get through and I also thought I did really well in the team work tasks. I really wanted to get through cos I don't want to work for any other airline and did so much prep for the interview. Now I have to wait a year (not 6 months), a year thats ages I'm very sad boo hoo:{

seadolphins77
23rd Oct 2006, 01:22
Hi Galleychick...
thanks a lot for your quick answer... Feel a little bit confused:rolleyes: : by reading the forum I can get the feelings of the people who are about to have the assesment day. That makes me smile...They are excited, nervous, well disposed, as I was on that day... I can truly say it was a great experience. I was worried because it's a little bit difficult to have an interview in a language which is not your language... But, during the assesment, they do understand your interest and feelings towards the job, whether you're really keen on that:) . If you' ll be yourself, it' s better for them and for you. I got through it and I was successful, I think I'm going to waist a great opportunity if I don't call them back... Now am working with a permanent contract, have a good salary... Really don't know. QFUK...
So people, go for it...

Hokkaido
23rd Oct 2006, 08:53
Hi Northern boy,

Got through!! had my interview and all seems to have gone well so fingers crossed.

Was shocked how many got through to interview (only 9!) but its so true when you say just be yourself on the day.

Have you got a start date yet?? im so eager ive been looking into accomodation for the training!!

;)

Hey PP,
Wasnt Saturday great, such a cool experience, came home on a real high - despite sitting in traffic for 2 hours:ugh: Now its just a waiting game.

PS. Have sent you a private message.

Flying Fairy
23rd Oct 2006, 10:14
Just a quick question for some advice.
I applied to Qantas back in Fenruary and they called me couple months later to go for an interview, however I explained to the guy that I would not be able to start the course on the date he gave me due to commitments. He was really lovely and said that I sounded keen and he would call again when the date changed.
I received a call about a month back on my answerphone but only picked it up recently due to being abroad. Since then I have updated my application and was wondering whether I should call back or wait for my application to be looked at again as it has been so long???:confused:
Thanks for any advice!!!

GalleyChick
23rd Oct 2006, 12:31
Just a quick question for some advice.
I applied to Qantas back in Fenruary and they called me couple months later to go for an interview, however I explained to the guy that I would not be able to start the course on the date he gave me due to commitments. He was really lovely and said that I sounded keen and he would call again when the date changed.
I received a call about a month back on my answerphone but only picked it up recently due to being abroad. Since then I have updated my application and was wondering whether I should call back or wait for my application to be looked at again as it has been so long???:confused:
Thanks for any advice!!!

I would ring him back......you never know unless you try. You might kick yourself if you don't and they might just be grateful for you to call them back. I think there's nothing to lose.

mr_gooduk
23rd Oct 2006, 14:49
Hi all guys.

I am very happy that I found this place. A week ago I applyed for QANTAS UK and in few days I had a telephone interview even I didnt know I will have it. To be honest I was quite suprised but on the other side it was more relaxed that I didnt know as my asnwers were as genuine as possible and the lady on the phone was very nice and friendly. She told me to call her back the next day and I did. She told me that I am thru to the next stage and that I am invited to come on the Welcome On board day on the 8th of November.

I did read all the threads about it but still I would like to ask what is the possibility for me to get a job as I dont have any experience in Cabin Crew? And was the welcome day hard in meaning of testing, interviews etc.

And yes is there anyone else coming on the 8th of November?

Thank you all!!!:O

Off Stand
23rd Oct 2006, 16:00
My sister was on the interview day on Friday and got all the way through to the end. Those that were left were told that they would hear how tey did at the begining of this week. If anyone does get that phone call or letter, please let us know! Good luck one and all.

Highflyer69
24th Oct 2006, 09:46
Its a waiting game! In a way the wait now for me is worse than attending the actual day itself in terms of being on edge. On the day of the group tasks and actual interview the Qantas interviews made us feel relaxed and at ease, or as much as you can be when someone is watching and making notes on you! :)
When I originally applied On-Line I did not envisage getting to the interview day but now that I have been interviewed and made it through the whole day there is the possibility that I may get on the training course. The thought of flying with QANTAS is something that excites me!! a new career and the chance to travel to my 3 favourite far eastern destinations. :)
Will let you all know when I hear something. Good luck to those that made it through the day and are waiting to hear. Lets hope they have spaces for all! Did anyone find out how many vacancies they actually have?

web
24th Oct 2006, 10:57
Hey pinkypants
I was there on sat to i know who you are!!! i met you right at the beggining i was the loud blonde one!!! well done tho for sat was very surprised about how many people got through!!! i had a feeling that qantas was not for me and was not at all surprised i did not get through!!! let me know how you do and i know how you feel i hate the waiting for them to let you know!!!

web:ok:

Off Stand
24th Oct 2006, 11:01
Hi!

Re my last post, she got a phone call this morning and was told that she was sucessful!! She has a medical on Thursday morning, I am so pleased for her! Good luck guys!

EXEK
24th Oct 2006, 16:33
My daughter just got the phone call this morning also!!! We absolutely jumped for joy. Her medical is tomorrow (Wednesday), which is in a place that looks really difficult place to find. We'll be scouring the A-Z, RAC Routefinder and highlighting maps to get there extra early.

If any one can let her know what happens after the medical, i.e. what's the next stage? (like, does she have the job? or is there more to come?) Put us out of our misery so the celebrations can really start properly.

Hey Northern boy..any advice as to what's next...sounds like you know this process well.... thanks in advance

northern_boy
24th Oct 2006, 16:52
My daughter just got the phone call this morning also!!! We absolutely jumped for joy. Her medical is tomorrow (Wednesday), which is in a place that looks really difficult place to find. We'll be scouring the A-Z, RAC Routefinder and highlighting maps to get there extra early.

If any one can let her know what happens after the medical, i.e. what's the next stage? (like, does she have the job? or is there more to come?) Put us out of our misery so the celebrations can really start properly.

Hey Northern boy..any advice as to what's next...sounds like you know this process well.... thanks in advance

Hey there

Well I'm not sure if every situation is different, but the fact that your daughter has a medical is great!!!!! For me the last stage before being offered a place on a training course was the medical.

I can definately imagine how excited you all are!!!

You'll need to keep us updated on how things go with your daughter :)

Flying Fairy
24th Oct 2006, 17:11
Hi,
Just wondered if anyone knows about height restrictions for Qantas. I have yet to measure myself but know I am at least 163cms which is what is written on the requirements for the applications.

5.4 feet = 164.592 centimeter, however I was told that it was 5'4.5'' as the minimum when speaking to someone from their office. Just wondered of this has changed for people to be taller as a minimum?
Thanks!

pinkypants
24th Oct 2006, 18:59
:{ Hey pinkypants
I was there on sat to i know who you are!!! i met you right at the beggining i was the loud blonde one!!! well done tho for sat was very surprised about how many people got through!!! i had a feeling that qantas was not for me and was not at all surprised i did not get through!!! let me know how you do and i know how you feel i hate the waiting for them to let you know!!!

web:ok:

Hey you!!
Got an email today and i didnt get it, seems so far aout 3 of us didnt get through. Im really gutted was upset at work today but hey ho life goes on. Not sure if o apply for other airlines as qantas didnt even give me any feed back so i have no idea what i need to improve on!! was thinking about BA maybe??

How are you anyway are you going for anymore airlines?? It was good to meet u.xxx :{ :O

Head_in_clouds
24th Oct 2006, 19:11
Hi pinkypants

I was there on saturday aswell. Did you have a red scarf on. I think I was talking to you before we found out who was going home. I had blonde hair tied back (don't worry if you can't remember, loads of us blondes out there). Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't get it I know how you feel as I really wanted to work for them too. Did they say you could reapply in a year? Who were the others that didn't get it? I thought you all would of got it as they must of liked you to pick you out of 30.

pinkypants
24th Oct 2006, 20:06
Hi pinkypants

I was there on saturday aswell. Did you have a red scarf on. I think I was talking to you before we found out who was going home. I had blonde hair tied back (don't worry if you can't remember, loads of us blondes out there). Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't get it I know how you feel as I really wanted to work for them too. Did they say you could reapply in a year? Who were the others that didn't get it? I thought you all would of got it as they must of liked you to pick you out of 30.

Hi, Yes was the one in the red!! I remember you! ive just sent my cv everywhere for cabin crew jobs as i know its deff what i want to do! Whats your plan? have you applied for any others??
They did say i can apply after 12 months but not sure i will, cant see what they would want in a years time that i dont have now??
oh well we need to keep trying and not give up, we will be in the air soon im sure!!xx:ok:

Hokkaido
24th Oct 2006, 22:55
Hi!

Re my last post, she got a phone call this morning and was told that she was sucessful!! She has a medical on Thursday morning, I am so pleased for her! Good luck guys!

Hi
I got a voicemail to call Ann at QANTAS...not sure what that means.
I picked the message up too late to call them today. I have my fingers crossed that its a good sign.

kmp1
25th Oct 2006, 05:28
Just wondering if upgrades are ever offered when on staff travel? Also curious if the Aus based crew who transferred up for 3 years have option to stay longer? I also heard rumour that the LHR base may cover new routes to the US in the future? Is there any truth to that or was it way off?
Thanks again.
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/happy/540.gif

ozskipper
25th Oct 2006, 08:53
EXEK - The fact that your daughter has been referred to a medical is the next stage of the process. Upon a satisfactory return of the medical she is likely to be offered a training contract with QCCUK. After successful completion of the course, reference checks and the issuing of a BAA pass she will be offered a permanent contract.

Flying Fairy - the height requirements are strictly enforced in London. You will need to be 163 to 183cm. We use metric, so converting feet and inches to cms isn't the best method because of the slight variation when you convert. Just have someone measure you in cms.

KMP1 - Officially you cannot upgrade on QF unless you are a CSM or have been flying 7 years or more. Some CSM's will upgrade you if there is space available (both of Australia and London), but it really depends. But the official answer is no.

As for staying longer than 3 years. I don't think that's been decided just yet. Mostly it has a lot to do with the type of visa we have and the Home Office's reluctance to extend it as it means we can claim residency.

The rumour of LHR covering US flights is way off :) Not unless something has managed to get past me recently. It's the first I've heard of this one.

(Corrected inaccurate information - thanks speedbirdhouse!)

WildRose
25th Oct 2006, 10:18
Hi Everyone,
I was at the interview at the Jurys hotel on Friday (20th) and I got the call yesterday to invite me to a medical which is tmra! Over the moon!!! Obviously dont want to count my chickens just yet until i get the training date set in stone!!!! Well done to everyone who got through and commiserations to those who didnt :(
I didnt get Virgin in August and was devastated, but have accepted it wasnt the right company.Your time will come! Stay positive!!
xxxx

mr_gooduk
25th Oct 2006, 10:27
As I have very short cropped hair, my question is: Is that ok or should I let my hair grow? I know that maybe its a funny question but I suppouse there is a rule for that too.

Anyone on the 8th of November for the Interview?

kmp1
25th Oct 2006, 21:59
Thanks Oz -- I thought that sounded a little far fetched since all flights go through hubs in Asia.

speedbirdhouse
26th Oct 2006, 01:02
The rumour of LHR covering US flights is way off :) We don't have flying rights to the US from the UK. Not unless something has managed to get past me recently. It's the first I've heard of this one.

We most certainly do have the rights however they havn't been used since the 707 days.

Rumours that we will be operating the route again are rubbish.

web
26th Oct 2006, 12:33
:{

Hey you!!
Got an email today and i didnt get it, seems so far aout 3 of us didnt get through. Im really gutted was upset at work today but hey ho life goes on. Not sure if o apply for other airlines as qantas didnt even give me any feed back so i have no idea what i need to improve on!! was thinking about BA maybe??

How are you anyway are you going for anymore airlines?? It was good to meet u.xxx :{ :O

Hi
I'm so sorry dont worry tho and yes you should try for more airlines take qantas as experiance. Go for BA, GB airways, Gulf Air, emirates, Air new zealand and Bmed. There is so many out there who will want you. I've got a job with Bmed but dont start till next year sometime i think. Its ok that they didnt give you feed back most airlines dont as its there policy. I went for Ba first and got rejected after the interview i took it as experience. where did you go after we were told to buzz off on saturday us reject spent most of the afternoon in the lobby fagging it away.

Please please go for more airlines you did so well on sat to get through to the interview so you should not be wasted.

web:ok: ;)

jace
26th Oct 2006, 13:47
Hi was just wondering if anyone can tell me how long before i can apply again had my interview in may but cant remember if its 6 or 12 months.
Thanks J

exqf
26th Oct 2006, 15:36
Hi guys, I used to fly longhaul out from Sydney few years ago and then moved overseas. I have been flying for other airlines since and now am looking at relocating to Europe. I have a interview with QFUK next month and was wondering how many crew are still left from oz that transfered to the UK base. I know that the flying is not what I was used to in oz but since then I have done some interesting flying. Are they interested in experienced ex QF crew?

web
26th Oct 2006, 15:49
Hi was just wondering if anyone can tell me how long before i can apply again had my interview in may but cant remember if its 6 or 12 months.
Thanks J

Hi there its 12 months! i had an interview on sat and told i could re apply in 12 months!

Pilas
27th Oct 2006, 11:55
Hi everyone.
I just woundered if anyone from the welcome onboard day on the 19 Okt got thru.
We were only 9 people to get to the final interview and I do hope that all or at least some got thru.
I got thru to the medical and will be going on tuesday.. so hope to see some of you there.
If you diden't get thru then don't give up. I thought that everyone I met there were really great.:)

hawaiianhosty
28th Oct 2006, 10:57
I had a voicemail yesterday off a lady from qantas but i was at work, when i called back she'd gone home. I submitted my application online last week so i'm assuming she called for an over the phone interview. I said I would call back monday. Does anyone know what type of questions she'll be asking me so i can prepare over the weekend? thanks guys x

EXEK
28th Oct 2006, 12:27
Hey, I had the 'Welcome Aboard Day' on Oct 19th and was invited to do my medical on Wednesday 25th Oct... now what?? im driving myself crazy with worry, and now its the weekend and i'll have to wait for Monday! The Doc said "I can't find anything wrong with you!" at the medical, so why haven't I heard from them?

I know it's only been 2 working days, but a friend of mine, who had the medical on the same day, has been given his 'start training' date for 6th Nov. (He was called on the Thursday, the very next day). I'm so worried as I've just signed a contract on my first ever flat (right near LHR) and will certainly not be able to afford it if I don't get this job, and I'll lose my deposit!!!!

OZSKIPPER ~ thank you so much for your helpful advice on this thread...sorry, need to pick your brain again. You said having a successful medical, I would be "likely" to get an offer. Am I being over analytical or do some people pass the medical and still not get it?? :confused:

NORTHERNBOY ~ could you please tell me how long after your medical were you given your training dates? Days? Weeks? Help!:sad:

OFFSTAND ~ did you tell Qantas you were available to start immediately (giving no notice period to your current employer?)...desperately trying to work out why my friend has been given his dates, and I've not yet...could it be 'cause I said I needed 3 weeks as my notice period.

WILDROSE ~ heard anything since your medical??

THANK YOU EVERYONE. Any advice regarding this torturous situation will be greatly appreciated (not just by me, but by everyone around me that I'm driving mad, and is sick to death of hearing my ridiculous questions).

EXEK
28th Oct 2006, 12:59
And one more thing:) ..... I said(in my interview) that i'd need to give 2-3 weeks notice to my current employer(my dad) but we've found someone to take my place already so i'd be ready to start training immediately...think i should call and tell them my change of circumstance?????? don't want to come across as impatient or pushy, but think maybe i should tell them:confused: Whaddyathink??

WildRose
28th Oct 2006, 13:13
EXek.
Had my medical on Thursday afternoon, all seemed to go well......... but now im paranoid too!!! Have had no phonecall as yet and im waiting with bated breath. I dont think youve been presumptuous honey, ive told all my family and friends ive practically got the job, so im gonna look like a prize prat if i dont get offered training!! Oh my god, now im freaking out too!
Surely there is no reason why, if u pass the medical that you wouldnt be offered a date? After all, you have to remember that those medicals are not cheap for the company. Hmmm....we'll just have to be patient and hope for a call on monday.
Keep me posted,
All the best anyway.
xxx

northern_boy
28th Oct 2006, 13:25
Hey Exek

Have sent you a pm :)

EXEK
28th Oct 2006, 13:31
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I too have told EVERYBODY I've got the job! Can I ask you, what notice period did you tell Qantas you had to give your employer?...wondering if this could be a factor in why we are waiting. Maybe they've filled the first training course? Who knows. Patience is a virtue, hee hee!:ok: :ugh: Will let you know as soon as I hear ANYTHING. Thanks again, EXEK xx

WildRose
28th Oct 2006, 14:39
Hey Exek,
I think i told them 2 weeks notice......... so 6th of Nov would have been too early for me too. Maybe thats it! Hope so.
xxx

Off Stand
28th Oct 2006, 15:32
EXEK, it's my sister who is going to QF, but only has to give a week's notice at her current airline.

Sorry, for late reply, just finished day 1 of stand by!

WildRose
28th Oct 2006, 15:50
I think i remember your sister from the interview..... we had lunch together! Is she currently at BMI and has dark hair? Pass on my congrats and tell her Rose says Hi! Keep us posted on her process too.
xxx

EXEK
28th Oct 2006, 16:40
off stand-thank u, has she heard if she's got through yet?? good luck with stand by!:)

Hokkaido
29th Oct 2006, 09:46
Pointless quote of previous post - see forum post from mods

Oooops....

Off Stand
29th Oct 2006, 11:23
Hello!!

EXEK, she hasn't heard anything yet, I am guessing as it the weekend, so if I am still about, I'll ask her tomorrow. I am half way through day 2 of my stand by, stuck in the Sofitel at LGW, yawn!!!!

Wildrose, you are right with the description, I will say hi for you. I will keep you all informed with her progress.

ozskipper
29th Oct 2006, 13:17
EXEK - I wouldn't worry too much but there are of course no guarantees in this industry as you probably already know. I would just hold tight as they can take up to 2 weeks to get back to you with an offer. Sometimes other candidates get offered jobs before others as they have shorter notice periods or their notice period coincide perfectly with a training course (does that make sense?).

EXQF - yes, providing your service within the Qantas Group was ok (no major blemishes) and you pass the current recruitment process. :)

Prince Mononoke
29th Oct 2006, 15:47
Hi guys!

Have just joined this site having been told about it by the gorgeous 'EXEK'. And what a journey it's been!

The fabulous 'EXEK' and I met at our 'Welcome Aboard' assessment day. And sorry to embarrass you babe, but guys - this girl is not only hot stuff but also has an awesome, energising and funkalicious personality. You're not ready for her! MUCH LOVE EXEK (*blasts airhorn!)

I am happy to say I have been offered a start date of Novemeber 6th (looks towards Northern boy and winks) and cant wait for another twist in my pathways!

Also wanted to say a special hello to OzSkipper - thanks for advising EXEK, bless her she's been stressing out quite a bit, and I dont blame the poor girl! It's horrible having to wait for final confimation. Also wanted to say that I admire your work in here, you have an awesome amount of information and knowledge and I think it's really cool how you help everyone in here with such dedication. Looking forward to getting to know you, and maybe one day flying together?! :)

Im in a bit of a rush, and havent had time to read all of the postings. But you all sound wicked, and good luck to all of you who are applying for or waiting to hear back about this position, or indeed any other positions you may have applied for.

As a final note....I chose my name NOT because I think im regal in anyway!! My favourite animation is a beautiful beautiful Japanese creation called "Princess Mononke" by the hugely talented, imaginative and creative Hayao Miyazaki of Studio Ghibli. I love everything about this film, including the soundtrack which I hope to sample in one of the songs I have composed recently. For those who havent seen this movie - I recommend it BIGTIME!

Anyways (drags himself back from tangent!) although it is my belief that the soul is sexless, I am within a male form (the last time I checked) and decided that seeing as I relate to the character of the Princess in the film, her surroundings, nature, philosohies and ideals, that I would name myself in a masculine form of her.

And NO, I am NOT on drugs/drunk/strunk/depressed/wearing a straight-jacket!!

Just enjoying the surrealism of where im at - not working, always creating, and envisioning the thrust and cruise of a Boeing 747!!

Peace, love and hugs! X x x

exqf
29th Oct 2006, 15:50
No had a very good record with Qantas... 10yrs with them. Well will see on the day. Would be nice to get back into civilized flying again.
thanks for that ozskipper...

hawaiianhosty
30th Oct 2006, 10:20
Anyone????? I'm awaiting a phone call back from Ann at Qantas as we keep missing each other..I need to prepare my over the phone answers without ballsing it all up...I have previous flying experience with other cultures etc etc (Qr airways) but reading the posts here it all sounds great and what a great bunch of people to work with..

Can anyone tell me how long the training is and where? thanks

Hokkaido
30th Oct 2006, 14:15
EXEK
Any news yet????

EXEK
30th Oct 2006, 14:51
I've still not heard...arghh! Trying to stay positive though! Wildrose-any news?? hokkaido-i've sent you a pm:)

WildRose
30th Oct 2006, 15:37
EXEK,
Ive havent heard yet either...... was working myself up all weekend and was convinced i would have a call today!!! Bugger.
Roll on tuesday i say!
Ill let u know as soon as i hear darling
xxx

ozskipper
30th Oct 2006, 17:02
Hawaiian Hosty - 5 weeks and it's at Heathrow Terminal 4 and at Cranebank (also in Heathrow - well Hatton Cross, but close enough).

WildRose
31st Oct 2006, 12:29
EXek,
hey honey, just letting u know i havent heard anything yet from Qantas! Im really irritating myself by checking my phone every 30 seconds (im not exaggerating here!).
Im goooooooooiiiiiiiiinggggggggggggg madddddddddddddddddddddd!
Please tell me ur in the same boat!
xxx

Off Stand
31st Oct 2006, 19:22
Wildrose,

My sister is doing the same thing, her medical was Thursday morning. She was hoping to hand her notice in this week.

Prince Mononoke
1st Nov 2006, 01:41
Hi Everyone,

Noticed That The Room Had Slowed Down A Bit So Thought Id Ask What Everyone's Up To?

To Those Awaiting Responses, Have Any Of You Heard? If Not Please Dont Panic, From What Ive Heard Response Times Vary Due To Notice Periods, Available Start Dates, Paperwork/administrative Procedures, Delays In Medical Results....many Reasons That Have Apparently Been Verified Or Which Have Been Assumed (but Are Just As Likely), So Fear Ye Not!! There Is Hope...stay Occupied And Do The Things You Love...even Simple Things That You May Have Forgotten. Keep An Open Mind And Look Around You - There's So Much Beauty And Inspiration Out There! Let Yourselves Go For A Bit! I Wish You All The Best!

As For Me, Not Much To Report. Today I Went Out Into Town With Some Friends, And Cooked A Smaller Version Of A Traditional Roast Dinner. Im Glad To Report That:
A)it Tasted Good
B)it Looked Edible
C)no One Died Or Disappeared To The Loo Post-consumption
D)we Still Have A Kitchen
E)i Didnt Phone My Mother Once To Ask Anything! (she, However, Like Myself Seems To Have Some Kind Of Psychic Energy Awareness And Phoned To See If "everything Was Alright" - How *does* She Do It?!

I Hope Everyones Had A Wicked Week And Im Looking Forward To Catching Up With You Guys!
I Was Hoping To Jazz Things Up (how 80s Did *that* Sound) With A Funny Story, A Riddle, Something Funky To End This Post And Open Up A Discussion. But Its 2:30am And My Mind Seems To Be Playing With Me. It's Been A Long Time Since Someone Has! (actually It Hasnt, But That'd Be Telling! ;) )

'til The Next Time..............x X X

GalleyChick
1st Nov 2006, 10:23
Keep yourselves occupied guys, don't stress out about QF not calling you straight after your interviews. The more you stress the longer the time will feel.

Thank yourselves lucky you weren't interviewed with Qantas Australia 5 years ago when I was. I waited 11 whole MONTHS from last interview, medical and criminal checks for the phone call (which came while i was in Spain and they gave me 2 weeks to start training).

WildRose
1st Nov 2006, 10:34
That really is a long wait Galleychick! Makes me feel a little impatient to say the least! hehe. Its just such a rollercoaster ride, after the getting the phone call to say youve been successful you are so euphoric, and then..................... Nada!
You are right though honey, im gonna try and check my phone less than 3000 times today.
x

Off Stand
1st Nov 2006, 15:28
My sister has just had the call, her course starts on the 8th January.

WildRose
1st Nov 2006, 17:32
Yeah me too! Very happy, the wait was worthwhile.
x

GalleyChick
1st Nov 2006, 19:23
woohoo WildRose congratulations, see it will happen eventually, to the others give it time and don't despair. They can't put everyone accepted into the one class it'd be too large. Congratulations to your sister Off Stand. I'll see both her and WildRose online.

Hokkaido
2nd Nov 2006, 07:23
Yeah me too! Very happy, the wait was worthwhile.
x

I got the call yesterday afternoon. Start date is Jan 8th.
Hokkaido

ozskipper
2nd Nov 2006, 14:03
A great big

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S

Look forward to seeing you around the base.

EXEK
3rd Nov 2006, 11:38
Hey, Been sooo busy moving house, not had time to write! Im the 8th too!!!! Cant wait! Congrats 2 all!!!xx:) :ok: :D ;)

kmp1
3rd Nov 2006, 13:10
Congrats to all! Hope I get a chance to join you! :)

domonion
4th Nov 2006, 22:37
hey guys!

i'm starting on the 8th too! wild rose, are you the travel agent living in cardiff by any chance?!?!
welll done everyone, can't wait to see you all!! yey us! xx

WildRose
5th Nov 2006, 10:41
Yeah thats me..............well remembered! Well done love! did u stay in touch with anyone else from our interview? am very curious to see who got through.
x
see u on the 8th! cant wait!

EXEK
5th Nov 2006, 11:15
Hey,Any1 have any idea how many people are generally on each training course?? just out of interest! Thanks:)

ozskipper
5th Nov 2006, 17:27
Around 12-14 .... sometimes more, sometimes less.... But that's the average.

leyahh
5th Nov 2006, 17:57
Hi!
I'm coming to the QF assessment day on 11th of Nov. I'm coming from France and I planned to stay for one night at Jurys Inn and I'm looking for a cheaper hotel for another night, around Heathrow or Gatwick. Can anyone give me some advise? Are there any other people from this forum coming on this day? I'm already so so stressed!! I would love to fly with them! Maybe I'll see one of you on this day.
Leya

kmp1
6th Nov 2006, 09:23
Does anyone know if there is more than one training class per month? 12-14 doesn't seem like very many (but nice small group!)

PER210
11th Nov 2006, 06:00
Wow... exek and wildrose that was like a reality tv show waiting to see who would get eliminated! lol. Congratulations! Hopfully i'll be making a trip to London in the nearish future (1-2 years). Who knows, you could be my flight attendant :). Hopfully I'll be working with Qantas Australia within 7 months, although I'm a little unsure of the casual work. Does anyone know how many hours a casual FA does?
Thanks, Aaron :) :ok:

goodday
11th Nov 2006, 10:52
Hello guys, congrats to those who are already in :) and good luck to those who are yet going to try. I am doing my interview 14th and staying overnight at the same hotel, anyone doing the same way? we might see each other the evening 13th, to encourage each other :) see you at the interview in all cases :)

Ievaverite
12th Nov 2006, 10:01
well im going to be there on the 15th.. all of you who are staying in jurys inn do you have to pay 79 pounds per night or more. bc i tried to make a reservation and they said that they dont have the qantas special on 15th so its going to cost me 129 pounds! does anyone know any hotels that are colse to jurys inn?

AIRHOSTIE:)
12th Nov 2006, 16:46
Hi guys!
ive got an interview with qantas uk on the 29th nov..... has anyone else???
might be going up the night before...if anyone else going, would you like to meet up?
Am very nervous!!!
love
Airhostie:)

kmp1
13th Nov 2006, 06:38
Does anyone know how often a new training class starts? Just wondering if they run more than one at a time?

Pilas
13th Nov 2006, 13:10
Hi!
I'm still waiting for the call from QF UK after the medical. How long did you guy's / gal's wait before you had the phone call? I have waited two weeks now... is that bad? Should I give them a call ?

The waiting is the worst... Please let me know.

Thanks
P :)

Maltese
13th Nov 2006, 14:17
well im going to be there on the 15th.. all of you who are staying in jurys inn do you have to pay 79 pounds per night or more. bc i tried to make a reservation and they said that they dont have the qantas special on 15th so its going to cost me 129 pounds! does anyone know any hotels that are colse to jurys inn?

Hiya!....
I also tried to get in the Jury's Inn on the 16th but it was fully booked .... It might not be what you want but I have booked a B&B in Paddington which is close to the station. then get the heathrow express in the morning which only takes 15min....
Its an alternative you can look into if you cant find anywhere else ;)

BMED LHR
14th Nov 2006, 15:26
AH ..
You guys can Party !!
It's a cute video , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcZBMJakTU

:)

glider12000
15th Nov 2006, 12:04
I`m having my interview tomorrow, so hope to see some of you there too.

Best of luck to all those that apply.

I Just Want To Fly
16th Nov 2006, 10:08
Attended the QF Welcome Aboard Day on the 8th. The day was really enjoyable and I got through to the final interview.

The day seemed to be a nightmare for most people. What is QF actually looking for. Some really nice, vibrant, well groomed people, with solid experience, didn't even get an interview, while other's who weren't even dressed appropriately and were rude and aggresive during the group activities got interviews.

Anyway, my only advice is be yourself, but try to talk as much as possible during the group activities and try to keep the group on track, concentrating on the task at hand.

All the best to everyone, wish me luck. I find out in a few weeks!

Kenny79
16th Nov 2006, 18:29
Hi AIRHOSTIE:)

I too am going on the 29th November. Can't wait!!

Take care
Kenny :)

essextaff
18th Nov 2006, 09:01
just to let you know I pulled a cheeky one yesterday and rang them up and told them I had another job offer got a medical now on friday (crash diet this week!!!) hope the process then speeds up a little bit after that but looking at other posts seems quite a long process.

Take Care

eidah
18th Nov 2006, 14:09
Hi There
Currently filling the application form for cabin crew. I have had 4 years flying experience for a low fares airline in the uk.Fancy the change to long haul was just wondering what it is actually like to work for Qantas uk I know you only do limited routes would be gratefull for anyones views opinions.

Turroncin
18th Nov 2006, 16:41
[QUOTE=
Anyway, my only advice is be yourself, but try to talk as much as possible during the group activities and try to keep the group on track, concentrating on the task at hand.[/QUOTE]
As someone who does recruitment, did you know that people who are "fixed" on getting a task finished rather than the process of getting there usually (should) do worse. It's important to show you have good team skills (agreeing outcomes, working to common goals, etc) rather than being obsessed with finishing a task.
The task itself is irrelevant. Be yourself is the best solution. If "yourself" is no good for the airline, then it's probably a good job you don't get the job or you would hate it anyway!

Kenny79
20th Nov 2006, 09:40
What a great piece of advice.

I've always thought it was bad not finishing the task. It's good to know that the task is there just to see how the group interacts with each other.

flitegirl
21st Nov 2006, 03:16
Hi kmp1

regarding MAM, I'm not certain but I think if you make it through to the final stages of the interviews and then don't get the "yes", they ask you to wait 6 months to reapply.

Pilas
21st Nov 2006, 19:39
I must say this time it went faster then I had expected.:ok:
So.. Here is my "PAN PAN" ( even though this is not a medical emergency.. it is importent..)
I need to land a place to stay as soon as possible!
I just had a phone call tonight that my start date is 4 dec.. less then two weeks from tonight. I need to find a place to stay durring or part of the training that dosen't cost a fortune since it is December. :O
Plz if anyone can help me out. I'll be sooo grateful !! Any advice, ideas or help in any way will be taken with outmoste gratitude.:)

To all, thanks for all your help all the way.

Off Stand
21st Nov 2006, 20:13
Evening all!!!

My sister was meant to start her training course on the 8th Jan, but she got a phone tonight asking if she could now start on the 5th Dec, which she can. Anybody else have this happen?

ozskipper
22nd Nov 2006, 11:41
It's not uncommon for training courses to be brought forward, which is why I said in previous posts not to worry if people hadn't heard anything for awhile. It all happens eventually and when it does, it happens quickly!!!

Head_in_clouds
22nd Nov 2006, 12:09
Hi

You seem to know all about Qantas Recruitment so I thought I'd direct this question to you. I had a welcome aboard day in Oct and didn't get to the interview. However, that has not put me off and I will be back next year. I just wanted to know, do they keep a copy of your old applications or do they delete them and judge you on new applications only? Also can I log on and just update my old application or do I register and start again?

Cheers in advance

Also are there any Qantas crew that have been employed second time round and even after third attempt? :confused:

ice_with_that
22nd Nov 2006, 15:04
I have been offered a place on a course running on 4 Dec, but I've had to turn it down as I'm on holiday over christmas. Anyone know of any courses running after Dec??

WildRose
22nd Nov 2006, 15:18
Ice with that.....Im on the January 8th Course! As far as i know the next one is Feb after that. However some people who were booked onto the Jan course have been moved to the Dec course! Its all up in the air!!!
Well done anyway :D

Hyena
24th Nov 2006, 11:16
Hi All.

God only knows what CCUK are looking for when they recruit. I was unsuccessful in my first Welcome Aboard Day. I re applied after 12 months and am now a happy trolley dolly with Qantas. :O

There are so many excellent people who do not manage to get through the group activities. Out of the 40 in my group only 9 were asked back.

I have no flying experience and do not speak a second language.....I dont think the language thing is as important as it once was.

So to all those who are not successful, I am living proof that it can pay to re apply. Just re submit your application close to your 12 months, i would be very surprised if they kept your application on file......

They are sure to recruit late next year once more of the Aussie crew start returning to Aus.....I think their 3rd year is up around Feb 2008....

Good luck. :ok:

kmp1
24th Nov 2006, 16:43
Thanks Hyena,
Great info....

Kenny79
28th Nov 2006, 10:35
Hi everyone

Got my interview tomorrow. I'm really quite excited!!

Any last minute hints or tips you very helpful people can give?

Many thanks
Kenny

marrymefly4free
29th Nov 2006, 13:26
Hey guys is anyone else starting on 4th dec????

Hi wildrose didn't know you were over here too!! :p

Off Stand
29th Nov 2006, 16:41
My sister starts on the 4th, just collected her 3 manuals, but she hasn't been given her work booklet, have you?

Kenny79
29th Nov 2006, 17:17
Hi

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Unfortunately I didn't get thru. Better luck next time eh

Kenny

Hokkaido
29th Nov 2006, 19:21
Is anyone else starting the course on this day?

WildRose
30th Nov 2006, 08:16
Me!!
I think a couple that were on this course have been moved forward to the 4th Dec. See you there Hokkaido.
x
PS have u started on your referencing online yet?

Hokkaido
1st Dec 2006, 13:41
Yep, finished my online stuff over the weekend...so its all being processed now.

See you on the 8th Wilde Rose.

A woman who was interviewed the same day as me is also starting on the 8th...so thats 3 of us so far..lol..

PER210
2nd Dec 2006, 08:53
Can aussies (who dont currently work for Qantas) apply for QFUK? or is it retricted to UK applicants, and QF applicants to transfer over for a bit?
cheers :)

SpiritofAus
2nd Dec 2006, 15:47
Everyone is able to apply as long as you meet the minimum criteria for the position.... Also you must hold the right to live and work in the UK (Working holiday visas are not acceptable)

EXEK
7th Dec 2006, 23:07
hey again wild rose and hokkaido, im on 8th jan 2! i did get asked to do 4th Dec but have just moved house and would've been really inconvenient. I've done all the on line referencing things and managed to find all 8 refs!! just waiting to be told that its complete...you doing any other prep??

WildRose
8th Dec 2006, 11:08
Hey honey, great to hear you are still on our course! New start for the new year and all that. I have done my referencing now, what a nightmare?! I asked Ann whether there would be any pre-course prep and she said there probably would a few weeks before we start.
See ya soon,
xxx

b77
9th Dec 2006, 13:35
Hi All

I am so sorry probably someone has already asked these questions before but i cannot find the answers.

I applied for Qantas Cabin Crew position about 15 days ago, someone called me and i had an interview on the phone lasting aprox 15 min, the guy left me his phone number and asked me to call him on Monday and he will let me know if i have passed. Could someone tell me is this common practice or do you think that this is good or bad news.

If i passed the phone interview, i was told that i would have to go to some hotel near LHR for an assement, does anyone know what questions they tent to ask at the test ect.

Many thanks!!!!!

ozskipper
9th Dec 2006, 23:58
Not uncommon to have to call back, so I wouldn't worry.

Scroll back a few pages as there is a LOT of information about the process, where to stay, salary etc.

b77
10th Dec 2006, 22:05
Not uncommon to have to call back, so I wouldn't worry.

Scroll back a few pages as there is a LOT of information about the process, where to stay, salary etc.

ozskipper (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=62064) vbmenu_register("postmenu_3011308", true); thanks a lot!!!

b77
11th Dec 2006, 20:46
Hi Guys,

i thought just to let you know, i phoned Qantas recruitment today and i have been invited to attend a “Welcome Aboard Day”, i am so excited can't wait. :) They offered me 6,7,8 or 9th Feb 07.

I am a bit worried, as i dont know what to expect from the group exercise, any tips? what sort of questions do they ask when you have your 2:1 interview?

Many thanks

vodkaholic
12th Dec 2006, 13:37
Hmm, yet I phoned them last week and they told me they weren't doing any more phone interviews until next year...maybe that was a nice way of them telling me my application wasn't successful...who knows!!

haves-have-not-clue
17th Dec 2006, 15:03
Heya Guys, Is anyone starting on the 12th of Feb???

vikkirobo
19th Dec 2006, 10:05
Hi,

Has any one got there training on the 12th Feb??? Feb

vikkirobo
19th Dec 2006, 19:41
When everyone found out there training date, how long dids it take to get the information. Also did it offer detailed info???

FLY DAVY
22nd Dec 2006, 14:29
Hi Everyone

I'm new on the Qantas UK forum!!

I had a successful telephone interview with Qantas UK
on wednesday and have been offered a place on a Welcome
Aboard day in Feb but can't attend as i'm on holiday, I'm
really upset!!! I've been put on hold until the next interviews,
is anyone else in the same position??

Thanks everyone,

David

ozskipper
26th Dec 2006, 12:48
Hey David

Welcome and good luck with your interview. :p

FLY DAVY
26th Dec 2006, 13:38
Hi Ozskipper,

Thanks for your reply, I cant wait to get my interview date.
Hopefully I wont have to wait too long!!!!

David

FLY DAVY
27th Dec 2006, 11:35
Hi Eveyone,

Just wondered if there is anyone else waiting for a Welcome Aboard day date? I sadly couldnt attend the dates offered in Feb so am waiting for the next dates, wondered if i'm the only one waiting!!!

Thanks eveyone,

David

AIRHOSTIE:)
1st Jan 2007, 23:05
Happy New Year 2007!:ok:

Just wondered if anybody could explain to me what the Qantas UK medical involves? A friend of mine said running a mile and a half to monitor your heart??? Is this serious????
In the airline im with now all i had to do was eye sight, hearing and (sorry for bein blunt) but a pee in a pot :O

Im going for my medical in January so any info would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Airhostie

Hyena
2nd Jan 2007, 16:42
Hey Airhostie.

What a classic....I would love to see some of the Qantas crew run a mile and a half.....:O I know I most certainly would fail that one.
The medical just covers your history, any pre existing conditions, blood pressure, eye and ear test...... etc..... plus a drugs test. So you will have to pee in a pot for that :ok:
One thing I got caught out with was having to strip down to my briefs which i wasnt prepared for....had I known this i would have worn boxers instead....he he :O

[quote=AIRHOSTIE:);3046747]Happy New Year 2007!:ok:

Just wondered if anybody could explain to me what the Qantas UK medical involves? A friend of mine said running a mile and a half to monitor your heart??? Is this serious????
In the airline im with now all i had to do was eye sight, hearing and (sorry for bein blunt) but a pee in a pot :O

EXek11
3rd Jan 2007, 09:36
I bumped into this website while searching tips to go through my Wellcome Aboard day, which takes place February the 6th.

yes! as you can see by nick , I am an ex emirates crew.I resigned after being in the company for 3 years...I had enough of Dubai lifestyle( its very amazing at the beginning but it becomes too hot and traffic congested)and it s too far from home, Barcelona, i was homesick veryoften.

I love flying though and i want to work within aviation, in Spain is very difficult to get in a company, everything works knowing someone in a company that can get you in, which is really annoying.

I ve been allways interested in Qantas , and now i have my opportunity.Yahooo!

Any good tips? I am worry cuz i am not a native englishspeaker, but i am very fluent. Are there many notenglish native speaker in the company?

Thank you.

Good day!

sammyjayne
5th Jan 2007, 12:41
hi there, my friend is in the process of applying for Qantas UK, he has completed the application form but was stumped when they say you have to bring along your original certificates to the interview. he has the right grades but hasn't got any of his GCSE certificates from his school days. Are they strict on seeing the certificates?

rodan
5th Jan 2007, 15:12
Please forgive an ATCO for intruding, but my friend is trying to find contact details for Qantas' UK cabin crew recruitment agents. Does anyone have a phone number? Many thanks folks! :)

wan2fly
5th Jan 2007, 18:09
Yes - Your friend will need to show and hand over a copy of all certificates he/she will not proceed without them....

they will need to contact their old school or examination board and request copies....

ice_with_that
5th Jan 2007, 20:20
I went to the interview without my certs and I got thro and start training shortly. Basically I told them I was applying for a copy of my exam results and I have never been asked for them again.