PDA

View Full Version : Qantas - Uk

Pages : 1 [2]

roamingwolf
5th Jan 2007, 22:11
I have a question guys \.

Of all the qf crew in the uk ,how many are Aussies who moved over and how many got the job locally.

ozskipper
5th Jan 2007, 22:57
I went to the interview without my certs and I got thro and start training shortly. Basically I told them I was applying for a copy of my exam results and I have never been asked for them again.

You will be and if you can't produce them or you've been dishonest, then your training contract won't be converted into a permanent contract. You'll have around 5 weeks to get it sorted. So, I'd be following it up if I were you.

I have a question guys \.
Of all the qf crew in the uk ,how many are Aussies who moved over and how many got the job locally.

Approximately 1/2 of the base transferred up from Australia and the remainder were recruited locally.

BAboy2005
5th Jan 2007, 23:44
I am currently with BA but on short haul have been there for 17 months. I am not really happy at short haul and want to go to Worldwide but with Gatwick coming up its going to slow things down... What do I do? Do I stick at BA short haul or do I go to Qantas? Really want some advice. At the moment im 692 on the transfer list!!! So could be on short haul for another year earliest maybe October 2007!! What do I do?

Off Stand
5th Jan 2007, 23:47
Someone I know was on the first day of their training, only to be told mid morning that a ref had come back that had not been up to scratch.

They have spoken to previous employers (all of which they have had a good record with) and they say they didn't write bad references (they are not allowed to unless the employee has a charge of gross misconduct or been sacked).

So, they wrote to Qantas to find out who said what that was unsatisfactory, but Qantas wrote back only listing their criteria for employment, but no direct answer. Now, should they write to Qantas again? We are worried that this incident could happen again at another airline and leave them unemployed again?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Gucci77
6th Jan 2007, 14:05
Hi everyone!
I'm SFS working for Emirates , was thinking of applying with QF(UK) can anyone advice me on that . Was Wondering about total salary on average you take home/ month.
Thanks for your help :)

flitegirl
7th Jan 2007, 02:27
I am worry cuz i am not a native englishspeaker, but i am very fluent. Are there many notenglish native speaker in the company?
EXek11 if your post is anything to go by, your English is more than good enough. You will be fine. At our end of the globe we have many Qantas crew who speak English as a second language. Best of luck.

I Just Want To Fly
7th Jan 2007, 04:51
Off Stand

QF is renowned for beng one of the most difficult airlines to deal with during recruitment. I have tried 5 times to get into Qantas both in the UK and in Australia. I have given up. I'm off to Virgin Atlantic.

The only thing I can suggest is calling them and speaking to a real person. There is a guy at QFUK called Con, he was really nice. Speaking to the people and explaining the importance of you finding out this info, should appeal to their human side. if not, I would call every week, until they finally got sick of me, and either gave me my job back, or told me what I wanted to know!

The law against bad references is a UK law. In Australia, companies are able to, and oftern do, give bad references. The employee has no recourse in the matter, however if it was completely untrue, may have grounds for defamation.

For others thinking about QFUK, from what I have learned from friends and the recruitment day, the salary seems fairly reasonable. You work a 4 on/3 off patern, and destinations are SIN, BKK & HKG. Career progression is very fast, when compared with QF mainline. You also get full industry benefits.

However if your dream is to fly long haul, and see the world, then maybe QFUK is not for you. The only options in the UK are BA and VS. BA requires years of service in S/H or LGW before you can move to L/H @ LHR. And everyone knows that the money at VS is pretty bad, but hey you get to see the world.

BAboy2005 If flying is what you plan to do for a very long time, then BA is an awesome opportunity. You will have to slog it out for several years, and work your way up to the top. This is no different to the majority of professions. But when you get there eventually, the world is yours. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel... BA flies to more destinations, than any other airline in the world!

qantaswannabie!
7th Jan 2007, 22:52
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and I currently work as cabin crew upon a fast ferry, have been doing this for the past 5 years and work as a Club Class Lounge ( 1st class ) Supervisor and a relief duty free shop supervisor. Have been reading the forum for a while now as I have wanted to apply to Qantas for a long time! I flew with Qantas recently to Australia and New Zealand and was very very impressed with the level of service and the experience, so I applied to Qantas online and got a call the following morning by recruitment. I have been asked to attend a welcome aboard day on the 6th of Feb, would be great to hear from anyone else that is on that day or anyone who could offer me any advice at all - Ozskipper you seem to be the man!! I want to work for Qantas badly!!

Many thanks!!:)

b77
8th Jan 2007, 22:07
Hi Guys,

Happy New Year to you All!!!

I received an e-mail from QUK stating that i need to know something about Qantas' history, anyone knows what exacly do they ask and how much are they expecting you to know. I know a bit, but do i need to learn quite a lot about the airline? I'm attending welcome aboard day on 9th Feb, is anyone else attending the same day?

Good luck to everyone!!!!

wan2fly
8th Jan 2007, 22:35
Qantaswanna - Be yourself thats all I say - its a great day very relaxed and friendly - you start at 8am have your certificates and passport etc checked - have a height check then get called into a room with approx 30-40 others for 1st part of day - sat at tables of approx 5 candidates and 1 assessor - do the whole introduce your self bit and the recruitment team do their bit too. You will also have a talk from the base manager who is a great guy and you have the chance to ask questions and he will honestly answer them.

Then have two group exercises and will have two different assessors for this. really not hard - just people skills and how you interact and presentation skills if you do it that is... the usual stuff dont be too pushy dont be too quiet etc etc its really good to be fair good laugh so have fun doing it.

after that have a break and then they will split you into two groups - half get through day hald are thanked and sent home.

Half that get through go through 2 on 1 panel - which is relaxed and ask you about 6 questions on different things to do with your role how you handle different situations etc etc. this lasts about 20 mins.

After that the waiting starts and then if you get through you have medical lasts about an hour then your almost in - after that a offer of a course and then its 6 weeks approx of study.

Just go for it be your self and enjoy the day...

We have crew from all walks of life all ages all nationalities...

Good luck.

B77 - go to website and learn the history of Qantas and how the company structure works dont get hung up on it they dont grill you - but you will need to be able to answer questions on Australia when on board and believe me you will get asked lots by pax...

crewbus
8th Jan 2007, 22:47
BABoy2005. I dont work for qantas or any of the subsidiaries, but I would say stay a BA! You are working for your national carrier, which I am sure lots of crew from charter airlines in the UK would love to do. You will get to long haul eventually, and it will make you appreciate it more if you have to wait longer for it!

Remember the grass is always greener.

Goodluck!

ozskipper
9th Jan 2007, 08:36
I received an e-mail from QUK stating that i need to know something about Qantas' history, anyone knows what exacly do they ask and how much are they expecting you to know. I know a bit, but do i need to learn quite a lot about the airline?

B77 - go to website and learn the history of Qantas and how the company structure works dont get hung up on it they dont grill you - but you will need to be able to answer questions on Australia when on board and believe me you will get asked lots by pax...

It's really important to have a thorough working knowledge of Qantas and Australia - you are actually assessed during the question and answer session, so if you're sitting there looking bewildered then you're obviously not going to do so well. But in any event, to be brutally honest, you really should know all about the company you want to work for, it's direction, routes, destinations and it's history :}

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum and I currently work as cabin crew upon a fast ferry, have been doing this for the past 5 years and work as a Club Class Lounge ( 1st class ) Supervisor and a relief duty free shop supervisor. Have been reading the forum for a while now as I have wanted to apply to Qantas for a long time! I flew with Qantas recently to Australia and New Zealand and was very very impressed with the level of service and the experience, so I applied to Qantas online and got a call the following morning by recruitment. I have been asked to attend a welcome aboard day on the 6th of Feb, would be great to hear from anyone else that is on that day or anyone who could offer me any advice at all - Ozskipper you seem to be the man!! I want to work for Qantas badly!!

Pretty much WAN2FLY has covered it off, but the best advice I can give you is to be yourself. The biggest trap that people fall into is trying to guess what we're looking for and try to be something that they're not - which is really obvious! Be yourself, have some fun (the guys who run the day are usually loads of fun) and enjoy the day.

Let us know how you go! :)

TightSlot
9th Jan 2007, 09:06
This thread has now reached a pretty big size, so for ease of use and housekeeping, a new thread has been opened here - QANTAS - UK II (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259105) - please continue conversations on the new thread.