PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly

TightSlot
13th Sep 2006, 08:35
The Thomsonfly Thread

jur99llk
14th Sep 2006, 18:52
This is a question for Thomsonfly cabin crew.

How good is it to receive a "Recognition Slip" (it´s a official piece of paper or form that says..."I would like to show my personal recognition to the above named person because of the following reasons:..) from another crew member on the flight? and does it have a real value in order to have more chances to be kept on during the winter?

I had never seen one of those before, so i´m quite surprised as i didn´t even know they existed. I thought the only thing you could receive from another crewmember was assesments

looking forward to your replies!

206cc_jim
23rd Sep 2006, 19:03
deleted as requested

206cc_jim
24th Sep 2006, 14:34
deleted as requested.

BAforever
26th Sep 2006, 17:26
Does anyone know whether another 737 will be based at CWL next year withTOM:ok:

richxby
3rd Oct 2006, 08:01
As far as I know a recognition slip isn't quite the same as an assessment, however I believe they still go on your file in the office and I'm sure they can't do anything other than help your chances of getting a contract!!

They used to be used quite a bit but been forgotten about recently what with the drive on everyone having assessments! I think it's quite nice though to get a little thanks in that way from other crew and it's a more official way of doing it, so your csbm gets to see it!

I think any of the other crew can give you one, for any reason they think worth it, and vice versa, IFS or CC!

BYCREWBOY
3rd Oct 2006, 11:20
Hi BA looks like based a/c for CWL next year are 737 757 763

jebfly
7th Oct 2006, 19:26
Its good to recieve these recognising when others have gone above and beyond, however dont think they count towards permanent jobs. So long as you report on plenty of time for duty, no sickness, work hard, submit plenty of assessments i.e 1 every flight (a pain I know but they are all worked out at a percentage) and there are vacancies at the end of season - you should have no problems gaining a full time contract. Good Luck and hope this helps.

BlueTui
7th Oct 2006, 23:28
actually its two per month for temporary crew... or was this summer...
doesnt have to be 1 per flight!! the IFS would go mad!!

could you imagine asking for an assment on a pmi(763??) i only asked once... haha! never again!!

atcomarkingtime
8th Oct 2006, 10:54
Hi All!! Sorry to bother you all....Air Traffic calling!!

My parents are flying from MAN on 21/10 to Rhodes on TOM2743. They paid the extra money to "reserve/request" 3 specific seats. As it was a 767 they didn't want to sit in the middle and got seats near the window.
They have just had a new set of tickets sent to them from TOM saying that the a/c has changed to a 757 and therefore their seats have changed....and they are not together!
Can anyone confirm the a/c type for this trip on 21/10 and also if it is a 757 then how do they go around getting a refund for the seat request as obviously its been wasted?

Thanks!!!

ATCOMARKINGTIME

Lite
8th Oct 2006, 14:21
Just a couple of recruitment questions which if answered would be useful for anyone applying for Thomsonfly.com crew next year;

1/ When does recruitment take place throughout the year? From how early until how late?

2/ What chances do people have of getting their first or second base choice? Are any crews dual-based?

3/ How long are Thomsonfly's training courses? Are you trained on all types within the TOM fleet?

4/ What incentives are there & how good are they? Allowances, language payment, Thomson holidays etc.?

5/ How is morale at TOM? What's the atmosphere like?

jebfly
8th Oct 2006, 20:19
actually its two per month for temporary crew... or was this summer...
doesnt have to be 1 per flight!! the IFS would go mad!!

could you imagine asking for an assment on a pmi(763??) i only asked once... haha! never again!!

Yes, but the more submitted the better chance you will have of achieving a permanent contract. I am an IFS and more than happy to complete assessments for Temp crew as I know how important they are! Ok I agree on a PMI (767-300) its a bit difficult but if you want the job you must ask, and on a 763 there is more than 1 IFS. Those who dont ask dont get!!

warwicks
8th Oct 2006, 22:48
Just a couple of recruitment questions which if answered would be useful for anyone applying for Thomsonfly.com crew next year;

1/ When does recruitment take place throughout the year? From how early until how late?

2/ What chances do people have of getting their first or second base choice? Are any crews dual-based?

3/ How long are Thomsonfly's training courses? Are you trained on all types within the TOM fleet?

4/ What incentives are there & how good are they? Allowances, language payment, Thomson holidays etc.?

5/ How is morale at TOM? What's the atmosphere like?

1) Recruitment takes place at varying times depending on the winter and more importantly summer 2007 programme. Last year they started their recruitment days towards end of October/ November time and they were still having people come online as late as July.

2) I don't know about other people but I got my first base choice. Again it depends on where you go- some large bases such as MAN did not recruit as many initials as others as they have 4th year rejoiners. No crews are dual based.

3) Depending on which base you go to depends on which aircraft you are checked out on. If it is a traditional BY base you are likely to be checked on 737, 757 and 767. If it is a TOM base (dsa, cvt, boh) there is a chance you will only be 737/ 757 checked. The training course for traditional BY bases is about 5 weeks and it is a residential course.

4) Allowances at Tfly are very good at £2.78 per hour and this is for every hour spent away from base so on long haul you can really earn a far bit of money. Discounts on holidays/ flights etc vary depending on contract, what holiday you want and when.

5) Generally morale is fairly positive. There has been some negativity since the change from Britannia to Thomsonfly but with the new long haul product and fairly busy winter programme and a fair few initials getting permanent contracts after their first season morale is picking up and it is definately a very very friendly airline to work for.

Hope this helps :)

Lite
11th Oct 2006, 22:28
Thanks. Obviously all information concerning Thomsonfly is appreciated, but it's worth getting the ball rolling!

pinkprincess
28th Oct 2006, 16:20
i currently work for thomson retail and am wanting to apply for thomsonfly when they start their recruitment campaign for 2007. is there anyone out there who works for them as i have a few questions!!!

is it true that no new starters were taken on at man this summer, and most were left in a holding pool?

what is basic salary (thomas cook and fchoice seems to be around 10k)
what is flight allowance per hour?
what are chances of doing long haul within first year?
what are travel discounts? at the mo i get 10% plus concession voucher (which is a bit rubbish compared to cc)

I am very nosy! ha, just want to compare to other airlines, i have applied for tc, fc, and myt but a friend of a friend works for tfly and says theyre thet highest paid charter airline, is this true????:confused:
thanks x

richxby
13th Nov 2006, 16:36
Well it depends on what you mean by 'highest paid'?

If you look at basic salary then I think someone like MYT would be highest for charters, but then they have one of lowest hourly pay. If you look at flight pay then yes it's probably TOM or MON or someone.

For new crew the basic is just over 10k + usually a small inflation rise in April time. This then increases every year (for 3 years) you rejoin or are made permanent. So after 4 years you will be at the top of the crew payscale, without being promoted. The increase is usually about £800, so looking at about 13k basic after 4 years.

Flight allowance is £2.78 hour which is from check in time to ten mins after chocks I think. The only difference and money earner is when you are nightstopping away from base, when you are paid from check in until you return to your base, so paid for sleeping in hotel etc!

Providing you are trained on the 767 you can fly longhaul after 3 months with the company I think. Carmen rostering now also means that you can 'bid' for certain flights etc, so you can ask to be rostered longhaul trips, whether you get them or not depends! If you are at one of the biggest bases LGW or MAN you should get a fair share of trips though.

As for discounts I think all new crew are on the new concession scheme, but I doubt this will apply until you are permanent. The new scheme means you can take 6 return flights anywhere with TOM for a nominal price and you get a confirmed seat or not up to 48 hours before. Holiday wise you get a sum of money off TOM holidays which increases every year up to 3 years I think. So depending on the cost of the holiday it would more than likely be more than 10% off.

Hope that all helps if you can understand it, oh and there's some great crew!

teachin
15th Nov 2006, 18:07
Assessments twice a month? Is that all? When I worked for them, we got assessed every flight, and if the number one forgot to do one, you were chased up to get him/her to do one on you. Every month you got figures on your performance etc.

It made everyone paranoid, there was a lot of abuse of that system with lazy number ones just ticking boxes and writing standard stuff on the back.

When I got "made up" I did them every flight, but then I took a little more time over them as I had been in the situation before where I worked my ass off and got an average assessment.

A recognition slip was issued as a reward for outstanding service, They were far and few between.

Seems their standards have dropped if they only do 2 assessments a month now.

Teach.

warwicks
15th Nov 2006, 18:15
Assessments twice a month? Is that all? When I worked for them, we got assessed every flight, and if the number one forgot to do one, you were chased up to get him/her to do one on you. Every month you got figures on your performance etc.

It made everyone paranoid, there was a lot of abuse of that system with lazy number ones just ticking boxes and writing standard stuff on the back.

When I got "made up" I did them every flight, but then I took a little more time over them as I had been in the situation before where I worked my ass off and got an average assessment.

A recognition slip was issued as a reward for outstanding service, They were far and few between.

Seems their standards have dropped if they only do 2 assessments a month now.

Teach.

I think that you have managed to contradict yourself in your post. You said yourself that being assessed on every flight meant that most assessments were just standard average ones as they had too many to do. Now we have to ask to be assessed and also have feedback given to CSBMs/ Mentors without us knowing.
The people doing the assessment are more honest and through as they arent doing 5 every time they fly.
Recognition slips are still few and far between.

:)

185 Lbs of Ballast!!
16th Nov 2006, 09:31
Hi All

We have booked to go longhaul with TFly on the 767 and have paid for extra leg room seats.

A few years ago we flew on another airlines A330 and did the same; unfortunatly, due to the need to put the tray table in the arm rest the IFE controls were attached to the inside of the seat. This would not necessarily have been a problem, however, I have quite wide legs :} and the controls stuck out a long way making it very uncomfortable. Ultimatly I swaped to a regular seat which didn't have the extra legroom but at least had the regular width.:cool:

Does anyone know if this is a problem on the TFly 767 or have they found another solution?

Many Thanks

TFlyguy
16th Nov 2006, 16:08
At the moment the IFE controls are on top of the armrests on the 767-300

However when the new seats IFE etc are fitted for summer 2007 - the IFE will be PTV's and touch screen controls

AIRHOSTIE:)
20th Nov 2006, 21:05
hi guys!
was wondering if any of you know how gatwick base works......
know they do short haul and long haul, but how does the roster patterns work and how much take home approx?
could someone please shed some light, pref someone who is in the know :ok:

many thanks
Airhostie :)

tally1
23rd Nov 2006, 11:13
Hi There,

Just wanted to make a post to see if anyone is to start their Cabin Crew T/Fly course in Jan2007?
I'm to be based in LGW and could really do with the low down on a few things.I would be so grateful (and Im sure Airhostie will be too) for any info on;

Typical roster patterns,
Fleet i'm most likely be trained up on,
Longhaul Trips- Do Initials get a look in, or is it based on seniority?
Accommodation - best places to look for a houseshare/lodger

Thanks in advance:)

doit
25th Nov 2006, 10:59
At LGW we are all being check out on 737-300,500,800, 757-200, 767-200,300.
long haul company say you wont get it for 3 months,But this is not always the case, you bid for the trips you wont. You may get it, you may not it's all done by computer. rosters we have around 5 weeks on view, comes out once a month.

tally1
26th Nov 2006, 14:15
Thanks doit,
I like the fact that you can bid for trips.Would an initial be able to start bidding as soon as, and if so, do you think bidding for longhaul trips would be stepping on people toes, especially being a newy?
It's just that having done a few years of flying now -scheduled, charter and Loco, i'd love the chance to do some longhaul flying, preferably charters. I'd be quite miffed if I had to do all the Loco flights as that's what im trying to get out of! And I see that you mention LGW are 737 300 and 500 trained (what im currently checked out on) :sad:
Are there any other L/H routes T/fly go to, other than what's on the website? Someone mentioned Denver with Crystal holidays for example?

Cheers:ok:

TFlyguy
26th Nov 2006, 14:35
Its supposed to be a 3 month wait for longhaul - but not sure how Carmen works that out!

We're checked on the 737 300 and 500 at LGW but we only have the 800 based here but you can fly it from other bases - I will be on it from CWL next month. The 500's are going soon

And yes we have Denver twice a week thro the winter and lots of Cruise flying to various places such as Acapulco for the winter season

tally1
26th Nov 2006, 14:41
It's a shame it could be a 3 month wait for some good trips, seeing as some winter routes will have ended by the time I get online!
Story of my life:{

emmascott
26th Nov 2006, 23:20
i see that the dates have been posted on the thomsonfly site for cabin crew vacencies and one of the things you have to do at the recruitment day is a 1min 30 sec presentation, what exactly do you do it on
is age a major factor too for weather they sign you up or not?
thanks

TFlyguy
27th Nov 2006, 07:53
It says exactly what you need to do it on!

And TFly have no age barriers to recruitment - providing youre over 18

emmascott
27th Nov 2006, 13:10
It says exactly what you need to do it on!

And TFly have no age barriers to recruitment - providing youre over 18

on the thomsonfly website it reads "Prepare a 1 minute 30 second presentation on how you would sell a holiday destination of your choice to us, focusing on the key points to inspire us to visit your recommended destination. (Please note that powerpoint facilities will not be available)"

so do they mean do a presentation on selling a destination or HOW to sell a destination?
thanks

TightSlot
27th Nov 2006, 14:39
emma - in order to be successful at both interview and job you will require a degree of calm, some independent thought, and the ability to read and absorb stuff that has been written down for you. My advice would be to start practising these skills now.
:uhoh:

Tommyinyork
29th Nov 2006, 12:11
on the thomsonfly website it reads "Prepare a 1 minute 30 second presentation on how you would sell a holiday destination of your choice to us, focusing on the key points to inspire us to visit your recommended destination. (Please note that powerpoint facilities will not be available)"
so do they mean do a presentation on selling a destination or HOW to sell a destination?
thanks

woooops got to do that for Monday.

tflybabe
1st Dec 2006, 17:20
hi guys just dun my 1st summer at thomsonfly and was told that i would find out if i was being asked bk next yr in november but apparently its going to be jan now which is ages away, could anyone tell me the truth of wots going on??? emma x

jetgirl_99
1st Dec 2006, 19:46
I think its dead cheeky that you rejoiners still don't know when you're going back seeing as they are running an initials course in January. I'm not sure if everyone on my course is for LGW (as I am) which might it explain it but if not, its a bit wrong!

northernbloke
5th Dec 2006, 09:13
Hi,
Has anyone attended one of the Tfly selection days they are running? Their website is quite descriptive, but I wondered what you might expect on the day and how it all goes.

Ta!!

oldbalboy
5th Dec 2006, 13:31
it runs as the website states, you have to progress through the selection stages the final part if successful is a one to one interview lasting about 25 mins, you need to look at the website to learn about tfly and TUI as there are questions in the test and you can use a calculator for the maths questions, the 90 second presentation is fun and the day is quite relaxed! the usual group excercise is also in there. you need to have done some homework on the company but its not heavy weight stuff just go along be yourself and enjoy the experience, the recruiters are very friendly and relaxed (well i think we are, and we want you to succeed)

tflybabe
9th Dec 2006, 10:28
hi guys waiting to find out if i am being asked bk frm thomsonfly got told it would be nov. but now rumours are saying jan. can anyone help! just wanna know! :{ Thanx Emma xXx

tuismile
12th Dec 2006, 00:08
OMG!! A presentation!! I never had to do that when I applied!! jeesh!!

britannialad
12th Dec 2006, 17:47
Tflybabe

You should here soon. The thing is we as permenant crew hear last as first, perhaps the aircraft cleaners would know! They seem to know whats going on, apparently we are going bust!
Take a look at the forum Airlines routes etc its all there.
Anyway hang in there and your letter will come good luck emma

warwicks
17th Dec 2006, 08:33
Tflybabe

You should here soon. The thing is we as permenant crew hear last as first, perhaps the aircraft cleaners would know! They seem to know whats going on, apparently we are going bust!
Take a look at the forum Airlines routes etc its all there.
Anyway hang in there and your letter will come good luck emma

If you look at the TUI corporate website or at the Tui Airlines forum on pprune you will see that we definately aren't going bust. There are going to be extensive job losses at Call Centres and back office throughout the UK and Europe but the airline is going to be playing a major part in the future of the TUI business with a $3.86bn order placed with Boeing for new aircraft- a rebranding of all airlines within the TUI group to TUI fly and the recruitment of more Crew/ Engineers and Flight Deck.

:)

blondie 61
5th Jan 2007, 16:39
hi ive been placed in a holding pool i think while my references are looked up if i am accepted does anyone know when the training starts my contract was for newcastle march to october .my work keeps asking when im leaving i really dont know what to say or even if i have a guaranteed job can anyone help me with advice

blondie 61
8th Jan 2007, 13:29
hi with reference to my question earlier does anyone have any advice like when the training starts or has anyone else been offered newcastle base and heard anything at all i am now getting seriously worried and just wonder whether to forget the whole job offer and move on is it always like this in the airline industry it seems very strange any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

oldbalboy
8th Jan 2007, 14:07
my understanding is training is planned to commence in march, 3 courses using last years pool started this week and those recruited before xmas are planned to start in march once summer crewing figures have ben finalised.

blondie 61
8th Jan 2007, 17:06
thanks for the reply feel a bit better now for the information keep posting any more information thanks for help

Balboy
8th Jan 2007, 22:00
Old Balboy...Dad, is that you..!!!

cutecrew
12th Jan 2007, 13:43
hi with reference to my question earlier does anyone have any advice like when the training starts or has anyone else been offered newcastle base and heard anything at all i am now getting seriously worried and just wonder whether to forget the whole job offer and move on is it always like this in the airline industry it seems very strange any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Hi Julier, I am an established crew member at NCL and all I can say to help you is, with regards to training starting dates I am not sure when these are being planned, but with regards to crew starting at each base a lot of movement is going on.

The company have decided to close Leeds Bradford as a manned base and as far as I know have asked all the crew from there where they want to transfer to. As far as I understand a lot have asked for NCL so the company will have to see to the requests of the established crew first so when it knows its figures about how many crew is needs at NCL and how any established crew are there it can then fill in any empty spaces with rejoining and brand new crew.

blondie 61
12th Jan 2007, 15:22
thanks for info i am so dissapointed im not expecting a start now but i do understand older crew need to come first.
i will just put the job offer and training etc on the back burner now and chill out and concentrate on the job i have now
thanks again for all the info you have given me at least now i know the score thanks again its a shame i would like to have met you all juliexxx

cutecrew
13th Jan 2007, 23:10
thanks for info i am so dissapointed im not expecting a start now but i do understand older crew need to come first.
i will just put the job offer and training etc on the back burner now and chill out and concentrate on the job i have now
thanks again for all the info you have given me at least now i know the score thanks again its a shame i would like to have met you all juliexxx

Hi Emma, no dont be disappointed as apparently we are recruiting brand new initials for 2007 which means you come before them so I think you will be invitged back.

The LBA people are far as I am aware have been asked to submit which base they would likem to go to but will only be allowed to go if that base needs people, so they either have to choose another option or take redundancy.

The news changes daily so it will have all changed again by the coming week, Just hang tight and Im sure your rejoiner invitation will be with you soon.

blondie 61
14th Jan 2007, 09:51
hi thanks again for that info i feel a bit better now i had all but given up i will sit tight and see if i receive a letter
i will post it on here if i do thanks julie r

blondie 61
15th Jan 2007, 17:11
hi i know this is a daft question and i did not bother to ask at my interview what are our average wages per month ive heard how a lot of airlines are different eg shorthaul long haul i know at newcastle we would not be doing longhaul
i know its a bit of a cheeky question but just a rough idea will do i just dont want to go into the job blind and not knowing what to expect thanks anyone in advance please dont think im cheeky id just like to know

BYALPHAINDIA
16th Jan 2007, 21:57
Hi Julie, I don't know much about the Cabin Crew pay, but obviously not all Charter Airlines will pay the same rate.

Your Basic will be 'Topped' up by the Sector and Commissions of what you sell onboard, This is obviously not guaranteed!

I am not up on the Current Payscales.

A sad end to 30+ years of operations at LBA, You would have thought that a 738 or even a 752 could be sufficient for the Summer season 3X daily rotations, There is enough demand for it from the whole of Yorkshire+

I went into a Thomson Shop last week, And I counted 11 different brochures, Surely the costs can be saved here - 800+ shops X 11 different brochures per season??? That money could have being spent on maintaining the LBA base?

First Choice have 1 'Year Round' brochure.

Some rumours suggest that Jet2 was part of the decision to close the LBA base?

Good Luck Julie.

RIP LBA.;)

blondie 61
17th Jan 2007, 07:35
hi thanks for reply
yes i agree it is a sad end for leeds bradford operations with me living in durham i have flown from here before as its not to far away to travel to ,i hope the crew get suitable jobs its so sad
i think some of the crew may be sent up here ive heard if they want to so thats not to bad anyway good luck to all of you ,i hope you get sorted and hopefully i may see you up here sometime if im ever picked from the holding pool all the best xx

jesscsock
17th Jan 2007, 13:57
hi ive been placed in a holding pool i think while my references are looked up if i am accepted does anyone know when the training starts my contract was for newcastle march to october .my work keeps asking when im leaving i really dont know what to say or even if i have a guaranteed job can anyone help me with advice

i'm in the same position, i've been put in the holding pool for cwl, but i have no idea when training starts ( i have been told that the holding pool is just waiting for training though i have no contract yet) i hope thomson aren't always this uninformative! anyone with info on the training for cwl though (or any information on anything!), if you could enlighten me i'd be very grateful!

blondie 61
18th Jan 2007, 07:41
hi there
yes i know what you mean they are not very informative ive heard training may start in march but like you ive no contract or any info since my letter for holding pool if i hear anything or visa versa i will let you know good luck and just keep saying like me no news is good news all the best juliexxx

jesscsock
18th Jan 2007, 10:50
aye, i will do. all i know is the bigger bases are trained first, and the rejoiners do their training before us. could be waiting till march or april.

blondie 61
18th Jan 2007, 13:25
i hope its then im off to tenerife for a week first week in march and at the interview they did say it would be ok so like you say it must be after then keep us posted thanks xxx:ok:

jesscsock
18th Jan 2007, 22:36
ooh could work out well for you then! i'm on hols last week of feb, so now i'm not worried about going :) if we all keep each other posted, maybe collectively we'll get somewhere!

blondie 61
22nd Jan 2007, 18:45
hi there:)
does anyone have any info yet as to whats happening with us initials at ncl yet or rejoiners im fed up of waiting for letters etc
i have been waiting now for s......o long since initial letter about holding pool
any info or news will do thanks in advance :confused:

tflybabe
24th Jan 2007, 13:34
hey guys i was an initial last year at NCL and am waiting to hear about rejoining but i want to book a holiday that leaves the 23rd feb and gets back the 2nd march and dont want it to coincide with going back to thomsonfly. is it true they usually give you a months notice? i rang hr but they dont know anything, apart from theres a meeting the second week in feb, so if the months notice thing is correct then i should be ok shouldnt i???? i dont think they will want us back before the middle of march do u???

please advice me guys i dunno what to do?? i really want this holiday and i think its terrible how they cant even tell a rough date.

thanks

emma x

blondie 61
8th Feb 2007, 08:22
hi there does anyone know if the rumour is true that there will be no new initials at newcastle this year any info thanks will help

TinyTom
12th Feb 2007, 09:01
What a shambles eh?
Does anyone have any idea what is going on behind the closed doors at Wigmore House? Recruitment continues country wide but the people who are left in the dark are the rejoining crew... Whats going on?
Tom

warwicks
12th Feb 2007, 10:16
This is how the recruitment happens- and there is added stress this year with the logistics of moving people between closing bases/ bases slimming down.

People are held in the holding pool- they have to develop a holding pool before they use all the crew that need to rejoin, they need to be prepared.

This year there are going to be fewer initials at most bases- as for rejoining crew it is only February, half way through the winter. Remember many bases are seasonal which means people are going to be asked to rejoin in time for the Summer when there are many more flights :)

*757*boy*
12th Feb 2007, 21:17
Sorry Warwicks I don't agree - this is not how recruitment normally happens at all. I am waiting to rejoin for my 5th summer at TOM. In previous years we've had our rejoining contracts sent out in December and have started back at work at some bases as early as January but the norm being february and March. The only base to be severely affected this coming summer is LBA - there are only 17 permanent crew there, it's hardly rocket science to find these people a place at an alternative base of their choice or offer them a decent severance package.
What will be an impossible task is to now try and schedule all the training for the rejoiners and new crew before the 1st of May - we only have 10 weeks to go before the summer season starts and it takes 6 weeks for Initials to go through their training............should the company ever decide to send out letters to anyone drowning in the holding pool. Rejoiners must be back online before Initials get their wings.
Looks like there's going to be some fun and games during the first few weeks of May then!

warwicks
13th Feb 2007, 06:42
There are already 19 initial courses taking place for bases throughout the country- with the holding pool developed for the initials that will be trained throughout the summer.

This winter has been quiet at some bases which would explain why rejoiners are coming back late- and even last year rejoiners were coming back as late as may. The rejoiner course is not 6 weeks long as you know so will take less time.

Many of the bases are over established at the moment, so there is little need for new crew currently. You state there is only 19 permanent crew at LBA- there are still temporary crew there who will be placed somewhere ahead of initials (they count as rejoiners)
And there will be tranfers for crew which will take place over any new initials or rejoiners ;)

banewboi
13th Feb 2007, 22:03
ther are no longer any lba staff or crew they are all either re-deployed or are in the process of being re-deployed/taking severance. the crew base hass been closed and the aircraft has been rebased at dsa, all flights are being amalgamated into the flight program by carmen as cost effective w-patterns.

anywhere with less than 3 a/c is under review. lba was never given enough by by/tom, it's no wonder that it failed and tcx/fca will scavenge. if dsa will let anything go once the lights have been done!

*757*boy*
13th Feb 2007, 23:37
[QUOTE][/And there will be tranfers for crew which will take place over any new initials or rejoiners QUOTE]
I'd have a look another look at the base transfer policy if I were you matey before making such statements......

fly_guy_021
14th Feb 2007, 08:38
'banewboi-anywhere with less than 3 a/c is under review'

Just to let you guys know, its actually bases with only 1 based aircraft that are under review, as detailed in a letter from the MD.

warwicks
14th Feb 2007, 12:54
[quote][/And there will be tranfers for crew which will take place over any new initials or rejoiners QUOTE]
I'd have a look another look at the base transfer policy if I were you matey before making such statements......

I think that you should have another look at the transfer policy as there are currently greviences against the company with regards to transfers and policies around this. There are people on the transfer list and these ARE to be considered before taking on more people at particular bases. This isnt what has been happening hence the greviences. It has been like this before and the crew were found to be in the RIGHT and were offered the transfer before people were taken on/ kept on.

30secondReview
18th Feb 2007, 09:12
Sorry 757boy, I think warwicks is right on this one! People on the transfer list have to be looked at proir to rejoiners/initials starting.

jesscsock
4th Mar 2007, 10:26
finally, i heard from thomson and i start training on april 9th flying from cwl :O later than i expected but i'm very pleased

oldbalboy
19th Mar 2007, 08:23
BBC news reporting that at 09.00 TUI will announce they are merging with FC !!

Airbourne-Adamski
19th Mar 2007, 11:03
Well its all on the news and of course now plasteres on the forum about the TUI/First Choice merger.
There now seems to be a fair few mergers going on in recent months

My Travel/Thomas Cook
BACON/Flybe
And now TUI/First Choice

seems like holiday companies and airlines are maybe struggling in the current market with competion.

Anyway just wondered what the news is in the camps and the feelings are with you TUI and First Choice guys.

oldbalboy
19th Mar 2007, 13:44
at the moment we know very little apart from what has been in the press, obviously we all want to maintain or improve on our current t & C's, i can remember when Britannia took over Orion over 17 years ago there were a lot of seniority issues on bith sides of the flt deck door and some of these have only finally been resolved in the last few years, the erger at that time wasn't too complicated because of the size of Orion, this time its 2 large and well establishd airlines so could be far more complex, from what i have read not sure if the airlines will be merged immediatly or wether this will be more long term, i just hope it can be done with little or no animosity from both parties (workforce) after all this is a merger NOT a take over.

Airbourne-Adamski
19th Mar 2007, 14:41
Be interesting to see once the airline merger has taken place, if the fleet will be branded in the new TUI livery colours.

All Yellow a/c with TUI in red down the sides.

30secondReview
20th Mar 2007, 12:45
It has recently been revealed that we are not going yellow and are keeping our Thomsonfly name - however all other airlines under the Tui umberella will take on the new TUIfly name and livery.

Massive sigh of relief! Phew!

warwicks
20th Mar 2007, 13:13
I heard that we are not going yellow but I heard that we may still be having the Tuifly name :bored:

I think that until it happens none of us are going to know- especially after the way we recieved the news yesterday :)

Kerrie
10th Apr 2007, 18:29
Hi guys. I am completely new to this sight, so bare with me, as I'm still trying to work out what all the codes mean! Am I right to guess that BOH is short for Bournemouth..? Anyway, the question I have is to all Cabin Crew who trained for Thomsonfly in Derby. I'm due to go there for a weeks training as Cabin Crew next week, and I'd just like to know what it's like there, what I'll probably have to do, how far away the training centre is from the accommodation Thomson provide and if there's a train station / coach stop near the accommodation so that I can maybe find my way home without having to drive it?

Many thanks to anyone who can answer any of my questions!

Kerrie -x-

oldbalboy
11th Apr 2007, 07:44
Hi There, you will find regular coach/bus services from east midlands airport to both derby and nottingham rail stations, the training centre is on the airport about 5minutes walk from the terminal where the buses run from, there will be other trainees staying at the hotel with you who i am sure you can get a lift to and from the hotel and the training centre,there are quite a few different training course running next week, mainly initial courses , you will find what you are covering on your agenda, if your starting your course next week you will get an agenda on day one if you havn't had one in the post? if you are initial cabon crew you will have another couple of blocks of training up there usually after 2 weeks training at base. If you need any more advice or are unsure of whats what get back on here all call the training centre direct and they will advise you.

bmibaby.com
11th Apr 2007, 11:02
EMA local here! Your best bet of coming from Bournemouth is to take one of the Virgin Trains services directly from Bournemouth into Derby, and then catching the airport branded airline shuttle which goes directly from outside the train station every half hour to East Midlands Airport. The bus goes past the Thomsonfly training centre, two stops before the main terminal, just keep your eyes peeled!

aero-guy
2nd Jul 2007, 12:01
Hi guys,
Has any of you info on Thomson Flt?? about the salary??? and how long are the layovers overseas?? 24 hours? or a couple of days??? but, most important, I´d like to know about the salary!! Thanks

206cc_jim
7th Jul 2007, 01:05
Hiya,
Starting salary is around £10,200 for new crew, plus £2.91ph flight pay.
Tfly is one of the few airlines that give LH straight away they can vary from 18 hours downroute anything upto say 15 days however this summer from LGW they are around 2 to 5 days.

We only do LH from LGW/MAN/BHX/CWL/DSA However from next year will only be LGW/MAN/BHX/NCL so if LH is important please choose carefully.

MAN/LGW are best for LH.

With your flight pay in an average year you can virtually double your earnings to around 20-21k easy.. however many earn more than this, but this is the bare minimum for you to work on if you have commitments.

finding_nema
14th Jul 2007, 13:56
Is there anybody on PPRuNe who works for Thomsonfly at CVT, or has any information about this base? I'm interested to find out how often the base is recruiting, what the contracts and rosters are like, and how everybody finds it?

Thanks for any help.

Little Blue
15th Jul 2007, 13:03
erm...........glad to see that yr enjoying Baby then !

Spongebobsquarepants
17th Jul 2007, 11:19
What is it you want to know? Im based in CVT for t-fly and have been for the past three years. Ask away and i will try my best to answer. :8

finding_nema
18th Jul 2007, 08:41
Thank you for your response. I´m just interested to find out generally what the rosters and pay are like at CVT, as well as what the atmosphere at the base is and the chance for being made permanent?

Spongebobsquarepants
18th Jul 2007, 11:18
Hi, just wanted to let anyone know that is interested but the positions at t fly in LGW for the winter are all permenant, subject to a 6 months probation, so no worries about being laid off. :)

206cc_jim
18th Jul 2007, 11:52
That is so wrong, so many crew have had to be laid off year after year or even had to do XX months temp worrying every little word they say or action they do could end up with their contract being ended on october 31st! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

TFlyguy
18th Jul 2007, 18:13
Think you'll find the winter starters will also have to fulfill the same conditions regarding performance sickness assessments etc

206cc_jim
18th Jul 2007, 18:47
but if they are permanent they are less likely to sack them or end their contract..... unless they are really bad all that will happen is their probation will be extended! where as in the past crew have been laid off for standing up to bullying IFS/CM!!

TFlyguy
18th Jul 2007, 23:23
Trust me the conditions are the same !

oldbalboy
19th Jul 2007, 07:52
ditto to the above, same criteria re performance and sickness etc still have to be met, but if your ok then its a permanent contract

BlueTui
23rd Jul 2007, 12:44
concessions:- you will get 6 confirmed tickets for either £35 or £50 each (sh/LH) after six months service, then on the 1yr aniversary of your start date you will get £500 off any brochured holiday including city breaks- so doesnt have to be flying on Tfly could be on Virgin/BA etc... the £500 goes up in year 2,3 etc.. but dont quote me on what it is. Not to clued up on the new concession scheme!

As for part time, yes you can apply for it, and be considered for it after 12 months however at a large base such as LGW you will struggle I have just had my Part time rejected for the 2nd time this year.

BlueTui
24th Jul 2007, 00:53
the six free tickets are on Thomsonflys flights only similar to Virgin Atlantics(however ours are confirmed) staff travel. We can get unlimited standby tickets on other carriers such as MON/VS/QF/BA/QR/FCA etc.... the price varies and our staff travel will give you prices as and when you need them.

VS to SFO is £86 and NYC is £68 I only know these as these are the routes i have used/enquired about.

You cannot get unlimited uncomfirmed tickets on Thomsonfly if joining now.

now thats out the way, try and concentrate on the interview and getting the job first before worrying about the concessions! out of 57 the other day only 2 got through....

BlueTui
27th Jul 2007, 14:29
Trust me the conditions are the same !

I have been looking into this because it is really annoying me the company have chosen to do this, at this time of year they will not struggle to recruit from the other charter companies who are laying of temp crew so cant see their logic in offering this.

Unless these new crew have it written into the contract that getting X assesments per month etc.. like temporary crew have to do, and in not doing it is gross misconduct then they cannot just sack them or let them go at the end of the probationary period without warnings being given.

The same stands for existing permanent crew we cannot be dismissed without warning unless it falls within gross misconduct... this has come from a lawyer friend of mine.

Also from trainers I have spoken to, they will not have these conditions written into their contracts and as far as I know they havent made it gross misconduct for us all to get our minimum assesments per season gross misconduct...

this is an unfair way and is penalising temporary crew(by giving these new lgw crew an unfair advantage) and crew at other bases we should all be offered permanent contracts "subject to a probationary period"
:mad:

bernardd
28th Jul 2007, 09:44
Questions.

Can anyone please tell me why Thomsonfly have removed the aircraft seating plans from their websites? Does antone know if theses are to be reinstated and if so when that will be and where will they be found?

TFlyguy
28th Jul 2007, 15:46
Hi BlueTui

I am also a Trainer and have NO idea whats written in anyone's contract least of all new hires! I would have thought that was an HR area of expertise rather than a Trainer's one.

Up until this latest recruitment all new crew have been hired on a temporary basis with the hope that IF vacancies exist at their chosen base they can, subject to meeting the necessary criteria (or a "probation period" to call it another name) be made permanent.

At LGW we constantly need new crew and for the last who knows how many years, most of each seaons initials have been made permanent - prviding they meet the criteria ie assessments sickness ontime etc etc. They have therefore successfully passed their "probation period".

Trying to get people to attend an interview is not easy when we face the competition from other carriers such as BA VS Zoom etc etc so maybe to make it look "more attractive" we are offering a permanent contract - I have no idea.

My sympathys go out to people at other bases who have been on temp contracts for a number of years but at LGW 1st year permanencies have been a way of life for a long time

BIA
1st Aug 2007, 22:41
Hi! Please I Need Some Help If Lost Im Trying To Finish My Application Form For Thomsonfly And There Is A Question That Im Not Sure What Do They Really Mean.." How Do You Keep Up To Date With Technical Changes In Your Present Position?" ....i Would Be Grateful If U Could Help.

caaardiff
15th Aug 2007, 17:02
Are Thomsonfly getting more 738's?
Jethros stating 6 on the way from TuiFly

Lorek
17th Aug 2007, 17:08
Hey guys,

I'm studying Tourism Management in Edinburgh. That's kind stupid but I'm thinking about next holidays and hopefully Thomson is going to recruit people for summer season. Does anybody knows which month they're gonna start recruitment process, November? December? January?
When training begins? Will I manage to write my exams at uni in the end of May and then be trained and fly till the end of September? Do you think it's possible?
That would be great experience to work as a flight attendant during holidays as it has always been my dream :)

Thanks for your replies.

Lorek

rachelsmith
13th Nov 2007, 16:21
Hi,
I was wanting to know if anyone knows how much the pay is for thomson fly cabin crew?

Thanks

Rachel

thomsonfly.com
25th Nov 2007, 21:23
CVT is a lovely base, but unlikely to be recruiting for next summer due to a halving of the number of based a/c there. Crews do work harder than at some traditional bases in terms of long days, but there seems to be a lovely atmosphere on the occasions I've flown out of there. It's a real shame TOM haven't been able to commit to this base, but think that EMA and BHX will really benefit - though to get perm at these two bases is very hard.

tflybabe
11th Dec 2007, 18:34
hi guys has anyone heard when rejoiners will be finding out about going back? i know in previous years its been before xmas so if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

britboi
12th Dec 2007, 16:59
Hey Emma...

Be prepared to wait until after Christmas. Not nice I know but we didn't find out until a couple of days before the New Year in 2005/2006.

Cat-Thomson
16th Dec 2007, 22:41
Hi everybody

Just seeing if there is anybody attending the First Choice recruitment day at East Midlands on the 14th January, also has anyone got any advice,1st hand experience working for First Choice or any links to usefu information apart from the website.

Thanks Cat :)

vodkaholic
17th Dec 2007, 13:02
try having a look at the website www.tui-together.net. this has information regarding the merger with TUI that you may find interesting/useful.

Just be yourself, know all the little facts and figures (aircraft fleet, uk bases, when air2000 changed to fca etc) and smile lots and you'll be fine!!

good luck!

tflybabe
17th Dec 2007, 15:15
hi guys ive heard that rejoiners may be back in feb anyone else heard this??

Emma x

tflybabe
28th Dec 2007, 11:58
anyone heard when rejoiners are going to find out bout going back??