PDA

View Full Version : Flight Plan Alternates

BOAC
12th Sep 2006, 10:34
Some FPL questions please, and any references appreciated:-

Do I need to nominate an en-route alternate on my FPL if I MIGHT divert there, or can I expect to just 'drop-in' for a 'splash-and-dash'?

Am I limited (except in emergency) to my nominated destination alternates as per FPL?

Can an aerodrome 'refuse' to accept nomination as a FPL alternate and if so under what conditions?

DFC
12th Sep 2006, 12:12
If there is a posibility that one may have to change destination (fuel) and am aware at the planningh stage, I tend to use the RIF function.

The only alternates specified on the flight plan are destination alternates. There is only room for 2 and at times there may be many more. The aircraft commander can choose to divert to any suitable aerodrome at any stage of the flight.

My use of the alternates on the flight plan are basically as per the ops requirements. I.E. VFR or IFR within the specified requirements, I may not specify any alternate while at the other end of the scale, with destination below minima, two alternates are required and thus two will be specified.

The departure alternate (if required) is usually not recorded but I like to put it in a remark to keep ATC in the picture.

An aerodrome can indeed be made unavailable as an alternate at the planning stage not just by the aerodrome operator but also by your own operations team. However, it is a brave aerodrome operator that refuses use of the airport to an aircraft seeking to divert there during normal operating hours. More usual for them to point out that if one lands, there will be delays, no stand available etc.

Regards,

DFC

Spitoon
12th Sep 2006, 17:06
As far as ATC around Europe is concerned FPL alternates are of little interest. The only time they matter is if an aircraft goes radio fail or, more likely, if its whereabouts are not known for some reason - the FPL destination and alternates are the first places to check.

In practice, there are commercial constraints too. Most of the busy airports will not accept an ad-hoc arrival but if you say to ATC that you wish to change your FPL and div to XXX, in the absence of slot restrictions etc. a couple of phone calls will often be all that it takes to sort it out. We're good like that in ATC!

ATSA_Grunt
17th Sep 2006, 14:06
At Swanwick the flight progress strips (which are derived from the NAS computer) and electronic information do not contain alternate airfield information. If a pilot requests a divert for company reasons or other, then we amend the flight plan info. And the plane is then re routed to the alternate he requests. It is assumed the new airfield has been notified, but normally we give them a cursory call to inform them..

Gonzo
17th Sep 2006, 14:17
I agree with ATSA Grunt, We never get to hear about a flight's alternates. If a pilot requests to divert, we don't check the flight plan to see if his new requested destination is one of his declared alternates.

And many a time the airfield where I work has refused indound diversions.