PDA

View Full Version : Instructor refresher seminar Scotland?

Lembrado
11th Sep 2006, 11:22
Hi

Moving upto Glasgow soon. Would like to renew FI rating and Instruct part-time.

Any info on FI seminars in Scotland and also examiners able to do FI renewal flight test would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

L.

Computer says NO!
16th Sep 2006, 09:11
Try Dai Heather-Hayes at Perth, he can do it, with a rented C152 from the Scottish Aero Club at Perth.:ok:

VFE
16th Sep 2006, 10:54
Has anyone been to any of these 'seminars' before?

I heard they were a bit of a p*ss up and that some of the advice given was a load of old rubbish (according to one CFI I know who's attended one!).

Opinions?

VFE.

DB6
17th Sep 2006, 07:29
There are a few of FIC examiners in Scotland; Stuart Hill is one, Dai is another, I think also Mike Tinson. Contact details should be available from the CAA or if you get in touch with Syd at Tayside Aviation (he is an FIC instructor) he should be able to put you in touch. As for seminars, there was one a couple of years ago in Glenrothes but since then nothing, you will probably have to go South for that. The one I went to lacked a little in structure but what it did do was allow you to compare notes with other instructors and see if they did things any better, also there are generally some very experienced CAA type chaps there so good for picking their brains.

eyeinthesky
17th Sep 2006, 09:21
I have been to two seminars and have, in the main, found them interesting and I have learnt some things I didn't know. It can't be a bad idea to exchange views and ideas with other people from the same industry every now and then. Otherwise we get to think that ours is the only way of doing something, and that can lead to complacency or just plain danger.

I would comment that, although I freely admit my instructional technique can do with some work, I was shocked in some cases to see the standard of briefing that some of my colleagues gave. If I were paying upwards of £120 per hour to be taught to fly, I would feel cheated if the pre-flight brief was as bad as some of those I saw.