PDA

View Full Version : Did Thames Radar find Cabair 11 ? YESTERDAY

unfazed
11th Sep 2006, 10:36
Flew near City zone yesterday (Sunday 10th Sept) and heard controller (Thames radar) trying to locate a Helicopter that was under a Radar service but was not responding to calls, or relay messages and was no longer on radar - controller was quite concerned and requested another helicopter to divert to Brent resorvoir to have a look (nothing seen)

Anyone know the outcome

Hopefully an OK outcome ?

Just curious !

unfazed
11th Sep 2006, 13:16
I guess no news is good news !:)

AlanM
11th Sep 2006, 21:08
Yes he was found..... and pointed out the worry caused when he ommitted to report descending to land at Hendon! (to be fair I think he either transmitted on the ground (and it was not received or he was stepped on with someone else)

At least the SAR boys got 5 minutes in there log book.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Sep 2006, 06:55
Wonder if anyone reading this thread remembers the inimitable Alastair McLean of Heathrow (you there, Jack?)? Way, way back in the days before SSR, a helicopter called SVFR to cross the zone. Alastair asked the pilot for his position and received the reply "Just crossing the M4". Alastair tried again: "Where are you crossing the M4". Back came the pilot: "Just behind the blue lorry". Seconds later the pilot called Mayday, going down with engine failure and nobody knew where he was!!! Luckily he was OK and managed to relay a message via another aircraft.

Just another little gem that couldn't happen nowadays which had the whole Approach Room screaming with hysterics....

unfazed
12th Sep 2006, 08:25
It's good to hear that everything was OK

I was very impressed by the professionalism and concern shown by the controller, he dealt with the problem and maintained traffic services superbly !:)

shack
12th Sep 2006, 09:44
Yes Bren I remember the said Alastair, the always happy cheerful Scot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

rotorblades
21st Sep 2006, 20:16
It's good to hear that everything was OK
I was very impressed by the professionalism and concern shown by the controller, he dealt with the problem and maintained traffic services superbly !:)

Hooray! I get my first compliment as a controller, thanks. Its normally heavy rumblings in a low voice i get when im controlling.

I was worried about the Cabair helicopter but thankfully he turned up OK.
If the 2 pilots who helped me trying to find him, G-BLME Robinson holding at Kew bridge relaying messages & a Cirrus Sr22 (N126CD If memory serves) who accepted vectors to have look are reading this - I want to thank you very much for your help it was much appreciated.

The important thing to come out from this for a pilots perspective, i think, is to make sure a call saying your "landing" is repsonded to (& thus heard) by the controller. Or if not able to make contact to phone in ASAP.

Alls well that ends well

Alex