PDA

View Full Version : Flying school in Christchurch NZ

EK380
10th Sep 2006, 18:16
Hi guys,
I'm planning on a flying holiday (single engine) in New Zealand (end of Nov06 till early Dec06).
Planning to start out of Christchurch.
Could anybody provide me with an email address of the main flying school in CHC or any other good single engine rental place in CHC ? I believe the main school is called Canterbury Aero club or something similar...
Anybody experience with this school?
I've a JAA PPL (+8000hrs) with Flight instructor rating, my wife has a JAA PPL with +300hrs.
Does anybody know what the process is to convert our licenses into the NZ ones? I think having heard that the NZ CAA can issue a limited (3weeks or so) validation without to much hassle... Anybody more on this?
Thanks for all replies,
Brgds:)

caba
11th Sep 2006, 13:24
Hi there!

I had the pleasure to fly down in NZ two years ago. I had my German PPL converted to a NZ PPL within about five days including the paperwork. We had to do a couple of patterns with an instructor, some airwork and a checkflight of about 30 minutes. Also a short theoretical exam which was no problem at all, very basic stuff only. The whole paperwork went to Auckland and our license arrived three days later. You can have it sent to the Aeroclub.

Those people were very friendly and competent, they have a lot of planes (mostly PA28s) and enough personnel for you not having to wait too long. Also the Friday afternoon beer call was a lot of fun! :)

I donīt have an email-adress handy now, but Iīm sure youīll find that one on the net!

Enjoy flying down there, itīs really a great experience!

QDMQDMQDM
11th Sep 2006, 14:19
These look like good people to contact:

www.flyinn.co.nz

EK380
11th Sep 2006, 14:35
Thanks for the replies so far.

QDMQDMQDM, I'm in contact with flyinn tours, but seem to be a bit high in price. 3500 US$ for a week per person including 12hrs flying and meals and accomodation is a bit above my budget....

Caba, the guys at Flyinn tours, can arrange the NZ license before arrival in NZ. This would give you a license valid for 3 weeks or so, kind of a limited validation or so. I was hoping to get something arranged with a local flying school (in CHC). There seems to be no theoretical exam with this one... Have you guys heard about the above?

Thanks for further clarification,

Brgds,:)

cblinton@blueyonder.
11th Sep 2006, 16:37
Did my Twin Rating at Canterbury A Club in Chch, very good club. All you need is a BFR to be able to fly with a Brit PPL.

Any worries PM me.