PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Star Gutter Journalism

GreatCircle
10th Sep 2006, 14:03
Canadian Ppruners - check this out

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1157838637439&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

This crap hit the front page of Toronto's Star today - and I would like to be the first to congratulate sad journo Meghan Waters for a pathetic story, designed to make the traveling public even more ill at ease.

We all know how tight a piece of real estate LGA is - so a clip here and there is unfortunate and shouldn't happen, but not the catastrophe this ill-written article suggests...and then a standard go-around back at YYZ generates horror stories...

Waters - if you're reading this, time to get a sense of reality.

Jerricho
10th Sep 2006, 17:52
"All of a sudden you realize there's a lot of human error in this type of travel," Salomon said.

:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:

sepia
11th Sep 2006, 00:18
I sent this in as a letter to the editor.

Hello,

I've never written in to a news paper before, but this story was so outrageous that I felt clarification was needed. I'm a regional pilot, who flies commercial flights not unlike the Toronto - New York connection in question. Having a solid Aviation background, I read the "jolted" article with genuine interest. I realize that you need to hype stories up to sell papers, but talking about two planes striking each other while still on the ground, moving at less than 25mph, is far from news worthy. That would be very similar to a minor fender bender while backing out of a crowded parking lot. To allow two truly uninformed passengers to call this minor incident "nearly a huge, huge accident" smacks of something truly sensationalist. I'm going to have to agree with all the parties that actually have a clue here and say that we are dealing with something terribly minor. I would hope that you'd publish my letter as a genunie correction.

PPRuNeUser0199
11th Sep 2006, 01:04
I will be intrested to know if you receive a response to your letter.:ugh:

Jerricho
11th Sep 2006, 02:18
Hey, that's good sepia :ok:

Please let us know if you do get a response.

ChicoChico
11th Sep 2006, 05:00
...didn't get a food voucher??? Oh boo hoo hoo (how much do you weigh anyway??)

rotornut
11th Sep 2006, 11:08
Cheap...even Jetsgo gave food vouchers when they screwed up!

Dockjock
11th Sep 2006, 15:05
Wow, great article. That's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back. :yuk: :yuk:

MarkD
11th Sep 2006, 16:26
The Star has been running sensationalist pieces on aviation for some time now, especially AF358 but also maintenance and security issues. Lots of anti-YTZ coverage too. In short, no surprise here.

GreatCircle
11th Sep 2006, 16:35
Who's up for emailing Waters and telling her what we think ?

I'm up for it, and will publish her reply (if any) here...

GreatCircle
11th Sep 2006, 16:37
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/09/11/1825250.html

Nicely timed on Sept 11th.

:D pathetic.

gumbi
11th Sep 2006, 18:29
[QUOTE=GreatCircle;2843046
Nicely timed on Sept 11th.

:D pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Maybe so, but CYUL, along with CYYZ, is one of the most unfriendly airports in the world to do business with as a fully uniformed crewmember, even with full credentials. So why this g*****n fixation with pilots if everybody else can get in like in a windmill?

I think he's got a point!

GreatCircle
11th Sep 2006, 21:35
Yep, the treatment at CYUL and CYYZ is a valid point - only the other day a drongo from Peel Police Emergency Unit (SWAT team) blocked my way because my pass had slipped under my tie - but could still be seen...said drongo spoke with me at length the other week at Tim Hortons at T3 in a very jovial manner...and when I reminded him he said it was his job. In this instance his job was being rude, offensive and aggressive.

Strangely, I didn't see his nice purple badge anywhere in view..but no point in arguing with someone like that.

My point is the length journos will go to cause even more harm to an already fragile industry...the Star piece, the Monarch "Sun" garbage and now this Montreal crap...tip of the iceberg....

sepia
11th Sep 2006, 23:25
They've got back to me saying it will be published.

wow!

GreatCircle
12th Sep 2006, 00:38
They've got back to me saying it will be published.

wow!

Well done Sepia...we should all take a leaf from your book...

sepia
12th Sep 2006, 03:56
Thanks. That story was the straw that broke the camels back I suppose.

Kickingpost
12th Sep 2006, 18:33
NEWSPAPAER REPORTER NEAR MISS DURING MORNING COMMUTE!

It was reported today that while on her way to her job in downtown Toronto an unnamed news reporter narrowly had dozens of near misses with other car and pedestrians. Quoted as saying, "They were all over. Cars on the Road and pedestrians on the sidewalks, I just didnt know what way to turn!" It seemed that this dangerous drive to Downtown occurs everyday for most commuters yet they seem unaware of the dangers involved in driving or walking. "Sometimes its best just to stay in bed." Says Dr. Neverleave, commenting on how dangerous it can be to leave your house. He notes that in this day and age, cars can be found on the road and people may be seen on the sidewalks during most business hours. During my investigative reporting I too personally found people out and about during the day. When asked, one unnamed pedestrian said "What are you going to do?". Im not sure what he was talking about but im sure hes very scared just to be outside. I guess it comes down to the fact that you always have to be alert and aware of the constant danger of leaving your house.

What a bunch of crock..........get a life.

OldRookie
13th Sep 2006, 07:35
Well it's nice to know that the world is finding a balance. You have the same bunch of parasites in your newspapers industry producing fine quality toilet paper as we do here in the U.K. I just wish these half wits would attempt to get airside armed, making them a legitimate target.

gazbert
13th Sep 2006, 12:02
I sent this in as a letter to the editor.

Hello,

I've never written in to a news paper before, but this story was so outrageous that I felt clarification was needed. I'm a regional pilot, who flies commercial flights not unlike the Toronto - New York connection in question. Having a solid Aviation background, I read the "jolted" article with genuine interest. I realize that you need to hype stories up to sell papers, but talking about two planes striking each other while still on the ground, moving at less than 25mph, is far from news worthy. That would be very similar to a minor fender bender while backing out of a crowded parking lot. To allow two truly uninformed passengers to call this minor incident "nearly a huge, huge accident" smacks of something truly sensationalist. I'm going to have to agree with all the parties that actually have a clue here and say that we are dealing with something terribly minor. I would hope that you'd publish my letter as a genunie correction.

Congratulations, you're officially published (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1158097811831&call_pageid=970599119419).

Jerricho
13th Sep 2006, 13:28
Take a bow Sepia

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

rotornut
13th Sep 2006, 14:19
Well written, sepia:ok: