PDA

View Full Version : SEP revalidation

Superpilot
9th Sep 2006, 20:09
My SEP Land class rating is due to expire. However, I'm a little tied up right now and wont be able to do the required 1 hour flight with an instructor (I have already done 30 P1 hours this year) in time. Note, I am not talking about the license renewal just the SEP Land class rating.

My question: If my SEP Land class rating is due to expire on the 12th and I've not done the required 1 hour with an instructor (I cannot obviously expect my rating to be renewed and signed off based on 'experience'). If I wait until the 20th, then do the required 1 hour with an instructor, can my rating be renewed and license signed of by a CFI, even though 8 days have elapsed since the rating expired?

Thanks

Say again s l o w l y
9th Sep 2006, 20:27
No. All requirements must be fulfilled BEFORE the expiry date.

A CFI can't sign your licence unless they are also an examiner.

If you can't do the flight and get it signed before the expiry date, then you must do a flight test.

As per usual, download a free copy of LASORS or buy a hard copy and it will give you the answer to all questions like this.

englishal
10th Sep 2006, 06:19
Same nearly happened to me earlier this year, but I managed to squeeze in a 1 hour with an examiner (acting as FI) two days before as some student had cancelled due to too much wind.

It is a stupid, pointless rule IMO, it should be like the FAA BFR, whereby you can't fly until you do the BFR, but you can leave it for some time.

Had I let mine lapse, I wouldn't have bothered to renew it, I would have let the JAA licence go and just use my FAA certificate....

avidflyer
10th Sep 2006, 07:15
The opposite side of the coin is, don't get your licence signed too early. I'm two months into the second year of my two-year block and already have fulfilled the requirements for a sign-off. One examiner was happy to do the honours straight away but another pointed out that I'd only get two years from the date of signature unless I waited until within three months before the renewal date. In that case I'd have two years from the original expiry. This wasn't clear to me from a cursory glance at LASORS, and could have been an annoying faux pas on my part!

Them thar hills
10th Sep 2006, 07:31
Avid
The signature in your license has to be in the last 3 months for the next period to be consecutive. LASORS says so.
The dual flight can be any time in the second year.
Not sure if you knew that !
TTH:)

BEagle
10th Sep 2006, 07:31
That rule is nothing to do with JAR-FCL - it is down to a CAA cock-up. The drafter of the ANO didn't understand the JAA requirement properly and made the original ANO error - now the CAA's compensating error is to expect people to wait until three months before the expiry date (even though they may have met the requirements months earlier) for a signature.....

Thank you for the reminder - I will remind the CAA of this cock-up on Monday and ask that they correct it in the next ANO amendment!

englishal
10th Sep 2006, 07:51
Never used to be like that though...In the past I have completed all the requirements within about a week into the second 12 months, and got signed off for pretty much 3 years:ok:

Superpilot
10th Sep 2006, 08:38
Thanks for the replies. 1 hour session booked - during my lunch hour! :eek: