PDA

View Full Version : Visiting a NATS facility and LASIK eye correction

sbfvz
9th Sep 2006, 15:58
Hi everyone

I found out yesterday that I had made it to the third and final stage of selection with NATS (the interview and group selection). I have not yet booked a time for this but I expect that this will take place within the next two to three weeks (going on the previous stages).

Obviously I am delighted to be at the final stage (and somewhat surprised because the second stage was absolutely gruelling). However I am slightly concerned about how to prepare for the day. I will go over all the previous documents that were issued for stages 1 and 2. I also intend to go over the NATS website with a fine comb and also read the postings on this forum.

What I have noticed, however, is that the email I received for the final stage makes no mention that I have NOT to visit a NATS facility. In the two previous emails HR specifically states that a visit to a facility was not required. The absence of this statement in this email concerns me; should I visit a facility? If so how do I go about arranging this?

Also can anyone confirm that those who have had LASIK eye correction (which I have had) would have to wait 12 months after the date of surgery before commencing training?

Any comments or suggestions would be very helpful. And can I just say that the information on this forum is really useful - thank you to everyone who contributes.

Stuart :)

sbfvz
9th Sep 2006, 18:39
Don't you think it's a good idea to go and visit a unit regardless of what HR say?
And can't help you with the eye correction question!

I suppose that it would be best to visit a unit. It's just difficult to tell if access is allowed to such units especially with the heightened security procedures. Does anyone have any ideas how to arrange such a visit?

SACrIGGER
9th Sep 2006, 19:20
I have always found that the up front approach worked for me regarding booking visits. I would search for a number, or just ring the airport up and ask to speak to air traffic. You will usually be put through to an admin section, who are generally more than willing to help with arranging a visit. Hope this helps.
Ian Dickson

choclit runway
9th Sep 2006, 22:45
I heard it is 12 months after LASIK which ruled it out for me... The yanks have it approved now though so hopefully the pipe and slippers brigade will catch up and approve it soon for UK atc'ers!

rocketdog
9th Sep 2006, 23:55
You should give air traffic at Edinburgh a call i know they would be more than happy to show you around. :ok:

Barnaby the Bear
10th Sep 2006, 00:18
What did we do without the interweb?????????? :}
Use your initiative, call HR or LTCC, or SCATCC or LACC or any unit near you. How do you you know if you you will like a career as an ATCO, if you don't visit a unit???? :ugh:
Without being too negative, you thought it was tough so far? You have done well, but you are still in the easy part.

SM4 Pirate
10th Sep 2006, 00:30
Re LASIK, ring the aviation medical section of the CAA and ask directly.

I had it done and was off line as a working ATC for 6 weeks (during leave); until my sight was proven to be stable; without halo's; it took two letters from my surgeon then an independent optometrist stating my vision results to get my medical status back.

Haven't looked back since...:}

MancBoy
10th Sep 2006, 09:47
Is that because you can't?

loubylou
10th Sep 2006, 21:02
I can't believe you haven't bothered to visit a unit.
It's not that difficult to pick up the telephone and make one or two calls.
It smacks of laziness and a lack of initiative.
Make the effort - if only to see if you actually want to do this job.
What will be your answer to "have you visited any units?, do you know what this job entails?"

The LASIK - I'm afraid I don't know - but again I would have thought that one of the first things to have done would be to contact medical branch - what a waste of your time so far if you won't be able to get a medical.

louby

sbfvz
13th Sep 2006, 12:51
I can't believe you haven't bothered to visit a unit.
It's not that difficult to pick up the telephone and make one or two calls.
It smacks of laziness and a lack of initiative.
Make the effort - if only to see if you actually want to do this job.
What will be your answer to "have you visited any units?, do you know what this job entails?"

The LASIK - I'm afraid I don't know - but again I would have thought that one of the first things to have done would be to contact medical branch - what a waste of your time so far if you won't be able to get a medical.

louby

Well...thanks for all of the advice (however frank it may have been!). The kind people at Glasgow Airport have agreed to show me around so I have prepared a list of questions which i will ask them.

With regards to the LASIK I have looked over the information provided by the CAA for the Class 1 Medical and they state that those who have had the LASIK procedure may pass the Class 1 Medical providing that 3 months have passed without complication since the surgery (this applies to me so everything is fine on that front).

Thanks again.

loubylou
13th Sep 2006, 22:57
I'm glad you've been able to sort out a visit to Glasgow, I'm sure it will be worth while for you.
Make sure you mention this at the interview.
Good luck:ok:

louby