PDA

View Full Version : Instructors Course Where to do it?

Polarhero
8th Sep 2006, 07:01
Hi all,

Can anyone let me know where they did the FI course, and what they found the course to be like?

I am asking as i am getting to about half way thro my IR :ugh: and want to start looking forward and getting a course sorted out.

And also if you have any tips and suggestions for the course they are welcome.

Cheers

Andy

Sleeve Wing
8th Sep 2006, 08:18
Where, geographically, are you , Polarhero.
If you're "darnsarf", for the umpteenth time, Greg Hagarty at 01628 823272 (White Waltham, near Maidenhead.)

Good luck,
Sleeve.

unfazed
8th Sep 2006, 09:30
How about where you are doing your IR ?

Winie Godjam
8th Sep 2006, 12:00
Lindsay Brown, Rural Flying Corps at Bourn Airfield in Cambridgeshire runs a fantastic FIC.

Perhaps not the quickest or cheapest course around but very likely to be the most thorough. Well respected and very well known in the GA world so getting a job following the course should be made a lot eaiser by the fact CFI's know you've been taught properly by an expert in the flight training world.

I think he's looking to start the FIC again towards the end of the year so if you get in now you may be lucky and get your name down. He won't be doing these courses forever mind, as he is now 70 years old, but if you want to be taught by a real original aviation character with a great sense of humour in a relaxing environment (much needed after the trauma of the IR!) then I recommend you check him out.

Good luck! :ok:

Polarhero
8th Sep 2006, 21:47
Cheers Guys,

Great just the sort of info i need.

Sorry should have said i am at Humberside,so ideally somewhere up in this neck of the woods. Although i am willing to go anywhere if it is needed for the best.

As for doing it where i am doing my IR, i cannot as the gent that does the FI training has gone on to bigger and faster things. Shame really as i have found the CPL and IR training to be of a very high standard.

Cheers

porridge
9th Sep 2006, 08:35
Polarhero
If you want to do it closer to home why don't you look at Babcock Defense Services at Barkston Heath (they train the RAF, and they do civilians too and their prices are good I hear): Tel: 01400 2612201 x 5018; Email: [email protected]
Also you could go to either Leeds Flying School or Multiflight at LBA.

MVE
11th Sep 2006, 08:01
Old Sarum Flying Club, I guarantee you won't get a better instructor course and you can do it on a tailwheel for no extra cost and then you can teach tailwheel as well as nosewheel when you've finished....all the best..

OpenCirrus619
11th Sep 2006, 10:45
If you can't find anything locally then I can't recommend Clive Elesmore (http://www.seaviation.co.uk) too highly.

Lovely area to fly in as well.

OC619

sidtheesexist
12th Sep 2006, 19:13
Andrewsfield Aviation and Carol Cooper - no complaints from this happy camper and Carol is a dedicated GA instructor with c13000 hrs TT!

The Otter's Pocket
21st Sep 2006, 17:42
David Scouller at Old Sarum. Ex test pilot and thoughly nice guy. If he doesn't know it it isn't worth knowing. Tail dragger is great fun and will really improve your flying.
Try a search on PPrune.

jamestkirk
21st Sep 2006, 17:52
Try Dorothy Pooley at Shoreham.

She is very professional no-one has had any complaints about the level of training.

Not too sure thats good for you geographically.

Jinkster
21st Sep 2006, 23:10
humberside - err

stuart anderson at leeds flying school

bob knight at manchester barton - did mine there - top bloke :ok:

Polarhero
22nd Sep 2006, 06:59
Thanks a lot guys,

I am thinking of LFS at the moment, only thing is having to battle to Leeds and back each day but suppose i could always stay.

did hear someone does it at east midlands, anyone know who and if they are any good.

Again thanks for all the replies given me a lot to think about.

Cheers

:ok:

DB6
22nd Sep 2006, 12:19
If it is the best you want you should at least give Tim Wooltorton a call at Barkston Heath. You will receive training to RAF standard on an outstanding aircraft (Firefly) and can add in aerobatics/IMC/night restriction removals later on. Last I knew prices were very competitive.
NB Tip: try and do the course within commuting distance of home so you don't lose out too much if the weather is crap.

DC-8
9th Oct 2006, 23:45
Hi,

Is there any other e-mail besides [email protected] (http://www.oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk/contact.asp?subject=General%20Enquiry) to contact Old Sarum Flying Club? I have sent some e-mails but no reply. I would like to know when is the next FI course going to be scheduled.

Thank you in advance.

benhurr
10th Oct 2006, 01:31
Did mine with Alan Cooper at EMA. Very thorough and has a 100 percent pass rate (or did have). Reasonable price too!

Have the same conversation regarding FI courses as where to do the IR etc. People tend to only have experience of the one place!

EMFS do pay their instructors well - and they will have seen your face and Alan does get asked for recommendations too, certainly worth bearing in mind.

M80
12th Oct 2006, 13:41
Wth regards to where (and apologies for thread crashing) but can anyone recommend any schools training to CPL that are currently hiring or would hire someone who trained as an FI with them? Am looking to undertake Fi course as have now completed my CPL ME/IR.

Thanks guys. Am a little lost in the woods at the moment.

The Otter's Pocket
13th Oct 2006, 16:19
Dear DC-8

I asked about your e-mails for you today and it turned up a blank. However try this address and this may help, if not PM me and I will see what I can do to help.
[email protected]

Tel - 01722 322 525

Don't bother if you don't want to work hard, however your ability as an instructor and your knowledge will be second to non. Your gyro's will well and truly be toppled for the first week or so.

Great a/c to learn in as well.

Regards

DC-8
14th Oct 2006, 19:43
Thanks for your reply TOP! :ok:

I'll send an e-mail to the address you mention. If I don't get any reply I'll PM you.

Happy landings!

DB6
15th Oct 2006, 09:37
M80, Tayside Aviation at Dundee. Ask for Syd. www.taysideaviation.co.uk (http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk)

aerosteve
19th Oct 2006, 13:37
hi,

i can recomend steve marples (aerotraining) based at newcaslte airport. one on one, no early starts, flying a t67c, 4-5 weeks. one of the best instructors i've had and and best price to match.

cheers

Gugnunc
19th Oct 2006, 17:20
I have recently finished my FI(R) course with On Track Aviation at Wellesbourne. Their set-up is excellent, all ex RAF (which provides a high level of experience in instruction and course design) and they have in house examiners.
I was so impressed I returned for the aeros restriction removal, went to one of their instructor seminars and will be going back for the night restriction removal.
You can find them with a google search of "on track aviation".
Best of luck with your courses.

I too did my FI(R) with OnTrack and thoroughly enjoyed it. Two extra comments over Norfolkandgood's endorsement:

Being an OnTrack graduate meant that my current employer was happy to offer me a job on the strength of where I'd done the FIC. (in saying this I am by no means implying that other schools would not carry the same confidence with potential employers - it just made my own interview a doddle!)

OnTrack do their own training manual which is a lot easier to digest than the Rod Campbell book, and comes with a full set of A4 briefings that can be used for whiteboard, ohp or powerpoint briefings. I use the manual daily for both briefings and also double checking how I fly the lessons too.

cheers

Gugnunc

ps they have 4 Instructors, of whom two are in house examiners. The numbers help with availability for the final exam.

sam34
20th Oct 2006, 15:40
and what do you think about FlightPass ?? their pilots are very experimented...