PDA

View Full Version : Wind speed around a high

vecvechookattack
7th Sep 2006, 20:16
Does anyone have a simple explanation why the wind speed around a high pressure system is higer than the wind around a low?

BizJetJock
7th Sep 2006, 21:04
Because the pressure gradient and centripetal coriolis force are additive round a high and opposing round a low. That is it in a nutshell, but whether that constitutes imple is another matter....:eek:

A2QFI
9th Sep 2006, 18:48
I'm puzzled as usual! I didn't even know winds were higher round a high! It is lows that produce cyclones, trees uprooted, roofs off buildings, 150 mph winds etc. If the winds are higher round highs why don't they cause similar damage?

Mark 1
9th Sep 2006, 20:48
I think the question intended is why, with a given lattitude and pressure gradient, is the wind stronger round a high than a low.

As stated above, although the geostrophic components are the same, the gradient and Coriolis components act in the same direction. Useful to know, if you're trying to infer wind speeds from a pressure analysis chart.

BizJetJock
11th Sep 2006, 14:01
A2QFI,
this is usually a "gotcha" question on FI renewals: the devil is, as usual, in the detail. For any given pressure gradient, the wind will be greater round a high than a low. However, the pressure gradient around a low is normally far greater that the average high, and as you say there is no HP equivalent of a tropical storm! The result is that "everyone knows" there is less wind round a high!:confused: