PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Descent Rate

Monarch Man
7th Sep 2006, 17:00
A question for you ATCO/Radar Director types.....:ok:

What is your understanding of the minimum ROD for an aircraft in Controlled airspace?
To expand on that a little; how did this minimum ROD relate to the initial, and intermediate approach faze, i.e. is there actually a regulatory requirement?
Lastly, on the subject of CDA's, again what are the regulatory requirements?

(feel free to post a link...as I haven't been able to find any useful info:ok: )

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206666&highlight=Minimum+Descent+Rate :ugh:

ATCO2
7th Sep 2006, 19:48
Hi,

I do not know who asked you to execute minimum ROD. What I expect in that case if someone asked is to descent not more then 500ft/min. I did not find that specification anywhere in the docs up to now. ROD is to be specified when requested as well as ROC.

What to say more.....

If there is any regulation for that I am interested in as well.

KiloKilo
11th Sep 2006, 14:59
A normal ROD or a descent without a specified rate is considered to be 1000' /min. Do less and in most cases your next call will be to increase your ROD.

A will have a look if I can find this in a certain document and let you know. But at the place where I work 1000' is considered standard.

If you are unable due to technical problems to comply, but this goes for any rate, please advise ATC asap so they can take into account in the situation.

Spitoon
11th Sep 2006, 16:06
A normal ROD or a descent without a specified rate is considered to be 1000' /min. Do less and in most cases your next call will be to increase your ROD.This is where so many problems arise. What one person considers normal will not necessarily be so for others - this is why we have rules and specifications. Having said that, in the UK we have a rule (somewhere but I can't recall where) that anything less than 500 ft/min and the pilot should advise ATC (i.e. not normal). I'm not sure whether it is specified anywhere in ICAO or similar.

Monarch Man
11th Sep 2006, 23:35
Thanks for the replys guys........

Kilo Kilo, where does it say 1000 FPM?.......just wondering

Now ATCO people, I heard a story told that you guys might have a chuckle about:E (dont shoot the messenger..its just what I heard)

"Approach fastair 123 maintaining altitude 7000ft"
"fastair 123 reduce speed 180kts turn left 270, descend altitude 3000ft...15 track miles"
"ahhhh approach...thats a bit tight for us"
"fastair 123, can't you use your speed brakes?"....apparently the reply came back as quick as a flash...
"speedbrakes are for our mistakes...not yours:ooh: "

Scott Voigt
12th Sep 2006, 03:30
Easy reply to that one <G>, continue present heading you are now number last, let me know when you are ready... :E

KiloKilo
12th Sep 2006, 10:21
Kilo Kilo, where does it say 1000 FPM?.......just wondering

Me too. I remember something but have to look it up. Yesterday on the night shift the priority was not there to look it up in the break, some rest was. Strange, maybe I am getting old ;)

As soon as I find it I will let you know.

safety case
12th Sep 2006, 11:57
Wasn't the not less than ,500ft per min based on the Radio fail procedures and thus the ability to re alocate levels at the beacon.
The idea of a common descent rate doesn't really ring true when you take into account various A/C performance figures and MET conditions.