PDA

View Full Version : KJFK Clearances...automated?

Kirk Biddlecombe
7th Sep 2006, 09:06
Quick question for any American ATCOs out there.
I've been listening to KJFK ATC feeds recently, and it's been quite interesting noting the differences between US and UK/European communications.
I was wondering whether IFR clearances especially to Europe are given directly by the delivery controller, or whether they are automated. It's just that the controller seemed to be using quite a different tone when giving clearances, and it was very slow and clear i.e. 'Speedbird5820 <Pause> Cleared to Heathrow <Pause> Merit 3 departure <Pause> The Canarsie climb <Pause> Climb 5000 feet <Pause> Expect FL370 10 minutes after departure...and on it went.
Perhaps it's just the controller purposely speaking slowly and clearly so the pilot can easily copy the clearance, but I was just curious. Also I found it interesting that pilots only readback their assigned Squawk code.

Kirk

Scott Voigt
7th Sep 2006, 21:15
We have what is known as PDC or Predeparture Clearance that can print out at a printer at the gate or on ACARs in the aircraft. As for JFK though, they work a lot of international aircraft and that may be one reason for the slowing down of clearances... Either slow down or give it over and over again <G>...

regards

Scott

Kirk Biddlecombe
7th Sep 2006, 21:25
Ah right - I thought that was possibly the case.

Cheers

Vic Rattlehead
9th Sep 2006, 18:51
Hi,
What information is supplied by the PDC and how does it work? Is it something similar to the ATIS? :confused:
Never heard of it before... :ooh:

Rgds.

Gonzo
9th Sep 2006, 19:01
Known as Data Link Clearance in the UK.

The airways clearance and squawk will be transmitted to the aircraft cockpit by data link.

kingoftheslipstream
9th Sep 2006, 19:08
The JFK PDC will usually contain the SID (standard instrument departure and various climb profiles as well) if the PDC has to be modified while the aircraft is taxiing, because of a runway change for example... then the controller may speak a little more slowly as they know that the the person taxying the aircraft has to listen out and monitor the new clearance and the person copying the clearance still has to have some spare capacity to monitor the taxi...

...something like that!

k-o-t-s

Kirk Biddlecombe
9th Sep 2006, 19:32
Ah...right. Interesting.

Vic Rattlehead
9th Sep 2006, 21:53
Very interesting...

30W
12th Sep 2006, 09:58
The big gaps might always be a delay in the streaming of your feed?

It's not normal to have noticable gaps in the clearance, there's generally not the time. Most times also the clearance is not a huge surprise, with a little pre look at the charts the expected departure SID and transition if one exists really isn't that difficult to work out.......

30W