PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (Microlight) to NPPL (A)....help!!

Esperanza
5th Sep 2006, 17:51
Here's a question for someone with experience of microlight to SEP aeroplane conversions. My knowledge of microlights is almost non existent. I've had a look at LASORS and the NPPL site and so fully understand the flight training requirements. What I'm unsure of is the requirement for theoretical examinations. My question is: Are the NPPL (Microlight) and the JAR FCL PPL (A) examinations one and the same? Looking at LASORS I get the impression that the microlight exams may be different. It appears at a first read that the Nav and Met exams are combined for the issue of a microlight licence.

If the exams are different then I understand that the JAR FCL PPL (A) examinations will need to be passed for NPPL (A) issue.

Thank you in advance for any help.

charliegolf
5th Sep 2006, 18:30
The exams CAN be the same, since if you've done the 'ppl' ones, they'll serve for both.

Most Microlighters take a simplified set of tests, which one text will get you through. (Cosgrove)

If you move on to the PPL/NPPL, you'll have another 6 tests to do, with a lot more content. You'll need a set of books(Pratt or Thom), one for each exam.

CG

Esperanza
5th Sep 2006, 18:49
I understand that the written exams for the "old" microlight licence were a simplified version of the PPL (A) ones. However, has the invention of the NPPL (Microlight) lead to recent applicants needing to take the JAR FCL (A) exams, or is there a simplified version for the NPPL (Microlight)?

The situation is: A chap with a NPPL (Microlight) wants to convert to a NPPL (A). Bearing in mind that he's done the NPPL (Microlight) exams does he need to take the JAR FCL PPL (A) exams? Has he in fact already taken them as part of his microlight training?

I think that CharlieGolf has already answered my question (thank you). If anyone has a different opinion then I would be interested to hear it. I've just got a nagging doubt about NPPL (Microlight) licences.

BEagle
5th Sep 2006, 20:07
There was a drafting error in the cross-credit document for NPPL (Microlight) to NPPL (SSEA). If you hold a NPPL (Microlight), you will need to meet the following requirements to add a SSEA Class Rating to your licence:

NPPL(Microlight) or UK PPL (Microlight) to NPPL (SSEA)

The holder of a valid NPPL with Microlight Class Rating or UK PPL (M) licence without restrictions who wishes to obtain a SSEA Class Rating shall:

a. Produce the NPPL or UK PPL (M);

b. Produce logbook evidence of currency on Microlight aircraft;

c Carry out such flying training on single-engine piston aeroplanes as is judged necessary by the authorised instructor giving the training to achieve the required standard to take the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA. This training must include:

(1) Not less than 1 hour of dual instrument appreciation;

(2) 2 hours stall awareness/spin avoidance training;

(3) Differences training for Microlight pilots whose Microlight flying has been solely on flexwing aircraft;

(4) Not less than the 32 hours required minimum total flight time for the NPPL SSEA Class Rating, which may be a combination of both Microlight and SSEA flying.

d. Pass the JAR-FCL PPL (A) theoretical examination in Aircraft (General) and Principles of Flight;

e. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;

f. Pass the NPPL NST and GST in a SSEA.

For the holder of a PPL (M) with operating restrictions, the requirements shall further include:

g. The whole of the navigation training required for the NPPL SSEA Class Rating;

h. The completion of a minimum of 10 hours total solo flying which may be a combination of Microlight and SSEA flying.

Esperanza
5th Sep 2006, 21:21
Thank you BEagle. I can see that it would make sense that an applicant would need to take the Aircraft General exam. Can the "drafting error" that you talk about be seen in the corrected form anywhere? I'm a great believer in being able to provide documentary evidence when posed a question by a student.
It seems a bit odd that the NPPL website isn't a bit clearer regarding this issue.

Esperanza
5th Sep 2006, 21:36
I've just had a closer look at the NPPL website. It's now clear to me (I think) that there are a separate set of NPPL (Microlight) examinations. Therefore this just leaves the slight doubt as to whether the chap needs to pass all of the JAR FCL PPL (A) examinations (as per the website) or just the Aircraft General (as BEagle states). I find it hard to believe that the NPPL website has the wrong information. But then who knows??? I'll give the good folk down at Gatwick a call tomorrow to get the definitive answer.

BEagle
5th Sep 2006, 21:39
No - it has yet to be re-released due to the forthcoming ANO change. Both documents will be released together. However, NPLG is fully aware of the drafting error and you will not need to prove anything to them.

However, were you to upgrade from NPPL to JAR-FCL PPL(A), then you would need to pass all the JAR-FCL PPL(A) exams.

Esperanza
5th Sep 2006, 21:41
Thank you BEagle. My chap will be very pleased when I give him a call tomorrow.

Esperanza
6th Sep 2006, 08:53
I've just spoken to FCL at Gatwick and they inform me that all six of the JAR FCL PPL (A) examinations need to be taken. So there you go.
The lady seemed to be 99% sure that her information was correct. Having said that, she is going to get somebody more senior to give me a call back when he returns to the office (next week).

Esperanza
6th Sep 2006, 16:38
The CAA called me back this afternoon. To convert a NPPL (Microlight) to a NPPL (A) the pilot needs to pass all of the JAR FCL PPL (A) examinations (as described in the NPPL website).

BEagle
6th Sep 2006, 17:46
Well, the dear lady at Gatwick is wrong. The correct policy (which I gave you) was confirmed at a CAA-chaired NPPL Policy and Steering Committee meeting last year; we have been applying it ever since.

However, if you will persist in asking the wrong people, then so be it. If you didn't wish to follow my advice, you should have spoken to NPLG Ltd (who are more informed about such things), NOT directly to the CAA!

Esperanza
6th Sep 2006, 18:38
BEagle. As an instructor how am I supposed to know that the information on the NPPL website doesn't match up to the way that "NPLG Ltd" operate/ issue licences? Please don't take this as a personal attack; I'm just confused.
This morning my first thought was to contact NPLG Ltd. However, I couldn't see a contact number on the NPPL website, and I couldn't find the number on the BT website. Therefore I called the CAA (whose number I do have).
With all due respect I still don't know whether to believe the CAA or yourself regarding the above issue. I know that I'm not the only instructor in the country to be uncertain of certain aspects of the NPPL.

One more question. Are you speaking on behalf of "NPLG Ltd"?

BEagle
6th Sep 2006, 20:22
Such enquiries should be handles as stated in LASORS:

The National Private Pilots Licence (NPPL) has been
available since 30th July 2002, and comes under the
auspices of the National Pilots Licensing Group Limited
(NPLG). NPLG Ltd receives technical support from
Popular Flying Association (PFA), Aircraft Owners and
Pilots Association (AOPA), British Gliding Association
(BGA) and British Microlight Aircraft Association
(BMAA).

Personnel Licensing Department is not
responsible for dealing with any enquiries regarding
this licence and associated ratings.

The responsibility for dealing with all NPPL SSEA/
SLMG/Microlight customer enquiries rests with the
following representative bodies:-

For SSEA enquiries contact AOPA.

For SLMG enquiries contact BGA.

For Microlight and Powered Parachute enquiries
contact BMAA.

Contact details can be found in Section A, Appendix E

This means you should contact the organisations stated, NOT CAA PLD; normally one would expect this to by something an Examiner should do, rather than an FI. But no reason why you shouldn't, if your Examiners are unaware of this policy. Or you may, if you wish, contact NPLG Ltd. for whom I am the assistance provider, as well as being the member of the NPPL P&SC currently liaising directly with Head of Licensing.

MadamBreakneck
8th Sep 2006, 20:15
Most Microlighters take a simplified set of tests, which one text will get you through. (Cosgrove)

Partly true. The microlight tests also have a different syllabus in areas such as what Cosgrove dubbed micro-meteorology and in the theory of flexwing aerodynamics and control. I'm not sure that theory of 2-stroke engines appears in JAR PPL exams either.
When preparing for my microlight written exams I used a set of standard PPL practice tests. I found I was scoring over 80% even having just studied the microlight syllabus and applying a bit of common sense to the rest. So I doubt they're that much more difficult.
MB

charliegolf
8th Sep 2006, 20:20
Right as always Madam B!

More 'appropriate' set of tests would have conveyed my sentiment better.

CG