PDA

View Full Version : Safety Pilot Logging Hours as PIC needs Extra Pilot

Jinkster
4th Sep 2006, 16:47
Can me as a safety pilot log hours in an MEP because the PIC has a restriction on his licence that a safety pilot is carried??

My theory - technically he is flying on my licence!!!

:hmm:

GlueBall
5th Sep 2006, 02:30
Where I come from you can log PIC if you are the designated Check Airman [Instructor Pilot], otherwise your PIC time would be limited to "pilot at controls" time.

redbar1
6th Sep 2006, 14:24
Jinkster,
I don't know under what rules you do your flying. In JAA-land, a safety pilot should not log the time.
Cheers, redbar1

the dean
6th Sep 2006, 14:50
Where I come from you can log PIC if you are the designated Check Airman [Instructor Pilot], otherwise your PIC time would be limited to "pilot at controls" time.

i agree with glueball ...as instructor...even in JAA land...if his licence requires a saftey pilot...that safety pilot must of course be suitably qulaified...then your licence as an instructor is being used and indeed as a CPL you might even be charging...

think you would have to log it...

my twopence....

redbar1
6th Sep 2006, 15:21
Dean,
To log PIC hours in a SEP/MEP in JAA land, you have to be either pilot flying, or FI or FE actually giving instruction or performing examination. Of course, if acting as FI or FE , then you are automatically a safety pilot as well - you have to, to make sure the plane remains in one piece:}
Cheers, Redbar1

the dean
6th Sep 2006, 15:29
yep.

think we are agreed on that redbar 1 ...was really thinking of the pilot instructor reference made by glueball.

think if its simply similarly qualified only safety pilot..having no other function than a pair of eyes and not touching the controls and not a FI/FE then i would have to agree it seem unlikely one could or should log the time.

would it qualify for a ''mutual'' situation. i know thats normally thought of in terms of two instructors doing time for their course....i wonder...:confused:

the dean
6th Sep 2006, 15:59
talking to myself now but on reflection i doubt that it would...:=

Jinkster
6th Sep 2006, 17:58
What if PIC requires safety pilot as he has no medical - his licence is therefore invalid and mine is....

:hmm:

Mark 1
6th Sep 2006, 17:59
As I see it, you're like the reserve crew on a long haul flight.
You only book the time that you actually spend in command.
I.e. there is no double booking of flight time - that's only available to FEs, FIs and the crew of multi-crew aircraft.

From the JARs:
Operational Safety Pilot Limitation (OSL -
Class 2 only). A safety pilot is a pilot who is
qualified to act as PIC on the class/type of
aeroplane and carried on board the aeroplane,
which is fitted with dual controls, for the purpose of
taking over control should the PIC holding this
specific medical certificate restriction become
incapacitated (see IEM FCL 3.035). An OSL can
only be issued or removed by the Authority.