PDA

View Full Version : Differing cost of a medical?

pistongone
4th Sep 2006, 13:25
I have to renew my Class 2 medical, i am over 40;) and so need an ECG etc.
I am in the North East between Scarborough and Hull. Do any of you chaps know where i can get my renewal for less than £240-? Thats what i was quoted in Brough. I thought Dr Perry was dear but this is more than i spent with him i am sure! I dont mind spending a few hours in my car to save some flying money:} Thanking you all in advace Pistongone.

172driver
4th Sep 2006, 13:44
240 quid sound a bit rich to me :E - for the AME, that is.... I use Dr. Peter Orton, great man and setup, check out

http://www.aviation-medica.com/default.aspx

There's a list of fees on the website also, I believe a Class 2 renewal will set you back about 100 quid. HTH.

Emeraude
4th Sep 2006, 14:20
If these are close enought for you, at Sheffield and Leeds Airports, Dr Gerald Benjamin. Class 2 with ECG £125. His website is http:/www.aviationmedicalexaminer.co.uk (http:/www.aviationmedicalexaminer.co.uk)

Frelon
4th Sep 2006, 14:50
My (qualified) French Medical Examiner charges 35 Euros, and that includes an ECG!
Good luck in the UK, all those exorbitant fees are behind me now.:rolleyes:
Frelon

Rod1
4th Sep 2006, 14:55
Rod1

I have mine booked on the 12th and was told £95. This includes the ECG and the doc in Derbyshire. I will report back after the 12th!

Rod1

pistongone
4th Sep 2006, 22:40
Thanks for the replies. I will see what happens with Rod1, bit of a coincidence Rod, i am flying out of East Midlands on Thursday 7th and returning on the 10th. Still the money saved on the medical would be well outweighed by the loss of wages( i am a contractor in the oil business). So Emeraud, sounds like you got the best option. Unless anyone knows the rules re:- Frelons Doctor in France? Would that be recognised over here? Worth the Easyjet ticket to take Mrs piston to Paris and get my medical and still be about right on the budget:ok: Again, thanks for the help Guys, hope to see you all at Full Sutton soon,
Safe Flying.

iannay
5th Sep 2006, 06:39
£95 Rod1? That's cheaper than most of us pay at Derby. 'Could you pass me the contact details.....

Bahn-Jeaux
5th Sep 2006, 08:53
I used this chap.
Had an ECG at the initial medical as I am over 40 and it was £100.
He said the renewal was cheaper at aound £70 I believe.
He is also a pilot himself out of Gamston.
Very pleasant.

As an aside, if you are into Air Force memorabilia and such, his surgery is in the old HQ building at the former RAF Manby.
Some interesting bits and pieces on the walls

Dr P J Mansfield
Good Healthkeeping
Garrod House
Manby Park

LOUTH
Lincolnshire
UK
LN11 8UT
Tel: 01507 329100
Fax: 01507 329111

IO540
5th Sep 2006, 15:53
Isn't there a CAA scale for AME charges?

I never paid less than 150 quid for a CAA Class 2.

One can get an FAA Class 1 for less than that.

pistongone
5th Sep 2006, 16:13
Thanks guys, booked for Tuesday in Newark £95- inc ECG. Dr Maybury, what a nice bloke!!:ok: :D :ok: IO540 you could fly into Gamston and get your med done for £60 saving, which you could spend on Mrs IO should there be one:ok:

LysanderV8
5th Sep 2006, 16:15
For anyone on the South Coast, Dr Arthur Tabor in Hove charges me £80 inc ECG for a Class 2. It went up from £70 last year and he was very apologetic!

SlipSlider
5th Sep 2006, 21:39
Lysander V8 ... Dr T just gone up to £90 for class 2 incl ECG - but still highly recommended The most enjoyable and informative medicals I have ever had, at reasonable cost.
Slip

On the Spot
10th Sep 2006, 08:57
I am awaiting my JAA Class 2 medical in France - it took a month to get a booking. The medical should cost 80 Euros but I gather that a French citizen can get it for free.

I have been told, but have not been able to verify, that in Spain the medical is free as they are carried out by the military.

I too was put off by UK medical costs at £160 a go and so dropped my CAA PPL in favour of my FAA PPL where the complete medical ECG included was $50.

skydriller
10th Sep 2006, 09:29
My (qualified) French Medical Examiner charges 35 Euros, and that includes an ECG!
Good luck in the UK, all those exorbitant fees are behind me now.:rolleyes:
FrelonThe medical should cost 80 Euros but I gather that a French citizen can get it for free.

There is some confusion here I believe....

The Medical examination and cert signed by the AME will cost you around 35-45 Euros here, but the urine/bloodwork and ECG tests will cost another 60-100 Euros on top, which French citizens with a "Carte Vitale" have paid for as part of their health cover IF they are FULLY INSURED.

I have lived here 5-6 years now. Never had a problem with my CAA issued JAA-PPL here or with getting stuff revalidated etc. locally here in France and with the way the CAA have always been very helpfull in this regard......until this last week that is.

Be aware that although 2 years ago I had my local AME do my medical and I sent off the French Class 2 cert he gave me (with his DGAC autherisation details) to the CAA and they changed it to a CAA one without any fuss:ok: , This year a different BEurocrat recieved my letter/medical cert and its not good enough anymore apparently:= :hmm:

The Class 2 medical cert I have doesnt actually have JAR written on it, it has DGAC on it. Now the French are signed up to JAR-FCL Medicals etc, so now a DGAC class 2 medical here is a JAR class 2 medical........but not to this BEurocrat at the Belgrano.:ugh: :ugh: .....I ALSO now need a letter from my AME here stating that the medical he gave me is to JAR-FCL standard. I pointed out that it was OK 2 years ago and if you check your records ( and my covering letter), its the same guy doing it this year as 2 years ago, but to no avail:rolleyes: ......Her response was "..we're getting alot of problems with the French about this...":ouch:

All I can say is that I'm glad my AME is so understanding.

Regards, SD..

gyrotyro
10th Sep 2006, 21:07
Hi

Try France, my doctor charges me 40 euros including an ecg for a class II medical. This is the same document as supplied in the UK.

My flying club instructor does my bi-ennial flight review free of charge if I use my own a/c.

I then submit my log book to the DGAC in La Rochelle who stamp it as well, photo copy the page and send a copy to Gatwick for the CAA files.

My insurance company are happy with the arrangement which is also important.

Rod1
12th Sep 2006, 15:00
Cost of the medical inc ECG was £110. I have the new medical certificate tucked in my Licence!

Dr J D Hill
Burton upon Trent
01283 730201

Rod1

pistongone
12th Sep 2006, 21:39
Visited Dr Mansfield today, only half anhour by car from Gamston and all in all a very thorough medical. His wife will give you coffee whilst he does whatever it is they do, then all things checked and off for another two years in the air:ok: :ok: If you are any where near the Newark (gamston is about 20 miles to the north) i thoroughly recomend him.
Thanks all and safe flying!

tiggermoth
21st Sep 2006, 22:32
Cost of my initial Class 2 CAA medical was £270

oscarmike
21st Sep 2006, 22:57
Hi All

This topic seems to crop up with monotonous regularity, and as usual I am pleased to throw in my contribution:

Class 2 medical INCLUDING ECG - the princely sum of £60.00

Been the same since I started flying in 1999.

Smashing chap, and highly reccomended::ok: :ok: :ok:

Dr R T Pomeroy
The Medical Centre
Craig Croft
Chelmsley Wood
Birmingham
B37 7TR

Tel: 0121 770 5656
Fax: 0121 779 5619

regards

OM

tiggermoth
21st Sep 2006, 23:01
He's worth a train fair to go and visit. :)