PDA

View Full Version : Scottish West Coast Flying

mok air
3rd Sep 2006, 19:47
Not a flyer myself, but testing the water & information gathering here.

How many of you guys out there would use the West coasts fieldds such as Campbeltown Islay & Tiree? Scenary is fantastic & it must be challenging for any pilot.

I want to know what the problems are.

Do they need organised events?, better opening times?
Or is there simply no attraction? Mull of Kintyre Airshow this year was a success with aircraft from all over, maybe people dont know they exist?

Please let me know. :ok:

Gugnunc
3rd Sep 2006, 19:58
Mok Air

I did my PPL on the East Coast, and once I'd got a bit of confidence I started visiting the West and the Islands. In order, Campbletown, Mull, Oban, Tiree, Islay, Benbecula and Stornoway (and all of the strips in the Orkneys). I was given a warm welcome in all of them and they are the most memorable destinations ever.

Weather, high ground and water crossings need to be properly planned for, but apart from these considerations all of the above are a worthwhile daytrip from Central Scotland. Every PPL should fly the Western Isles at some stage in their flying carreer IMHO, and the are all within the capabilities of a typical light aircraft and PPL.

cheers

Gugununc

drambuster
3rd Sep 2006, 20:05
mok air
I regularly use Islay, Oban, Colonsay, Mull (Glenforsa). There are no problems and it's some of the best flying in the country (flying up the west coast of Jura is an unforgetable experience!).
There's lots to do and the hospitality is second to none.
The only set-back in recent years was that there was a great fellow running Oban (Paul was his name, I think) - nothing was too much trouble for him but sadly he was pushed out by some corporate jobsworths which was a big loss to GA.
Other than that the whole experience is just out of this world ..... you really appreciate the value and privilege of holding a PPL flying in those parts.

.... worth having an IMC though as the mists can roll in pretty quickly ! (at certain times of year)

ormus55
3rd Sep 2006, 23:43
i visited mull, glenforsa, c1979/80. (by road). very friendly place and nice peeps.