PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod plane crash in Afghanistan - Condolences thread (no tech or update info)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

zzdelete
3rd Sep 2006, 16:51
Totally devastated. Words can't express it. Our thoughts are with friends and family in their time of need.

mike-hobbs
3rd Sep 2006, 17:32
Completely devastated...

I hoped this day would never come.

My thoughts go out to the families of the colleagues I have lost.

RIP friends

MH

cymruflier
3rd Sep 2006, 17:37
Many of my generation feel such losses deeply - we admire you all as one of the last bastions of professionalism and the credo of service to the wider community.

We are aware of the risks that you run on our behalf and we will never be able to thank you enough.

betty_boo_x
3rd Sep 2006, 17:39
I've been away from PPrune pretty much since I, and many others, lost a loved one in Iraq on 30th January 2005.

I'm using the ID I set up for my big fella in 2004 when he was posting his various naughty rants and wished to remain anonymous (I was little_bee_eater). Betty Boo is female, small and cute - a suitable opposite we thought (you'll understand if you know who I am/he was)!

He still makes me smile.

I am very sadened to hear of another tragic loss and my heart goes out to all affected; by this and by other events.

Boo x

Talk Wrench
3rd Sep 2006, 17:43
From the boys in the ex pat German Frat,

We just cracked a Wobbly, we said some words. We, the guys who are in cividom, ex RAF, ex FAA, ex AAC, cannot describe our sorrow, but we raise a glass for our friends who took off towards the sky.

Theres a wobbly in my fridge for each and every one of you tonight.

I wish you were here to join us.

Talk Wrench

Harpoon
3rd Sep 2006, 17:51
Devastating news.As an ex CXX/3 member, it really hurts.
RIP fella's. Gone but never forgotten.

Party Animal
3rd Sep 2006, 17:58
An awful weekend and a deeply shocking tragedy. Unlike some of our political leaders I sincerely mourn the loss of many fine airmen, a soldier and a marine. My thoughts are with, and for all of the families, friends and colleagues from both Kinloss and further south.

I too was on CXX in 1995 and remember the Toronto guys as though I was having a beer with them last night. It will be a tough few months ahead but maritime spirit is second to none. I know this is little consolation but it will help with the mourning process.

RIP one and all...

SunderlandMatt
3rd Sep 2006, 18:00
More fine men lost.

Brave men doing our Armed Forces proud.

Rest in Peace gentlemen.

SandyCrevice
3rd Sep 2006, 18:15
Am Gutted , tears running down my face as i read this thread , have lost some good friends.
RIP guys
EX 201

Had Enough 77
3rd Sep 2006, 18:25
I wish to express my sincere heartfelt condolonces to the families concerned, i have lost a few mates and a very good friend. I can't beleive this has happened to a bunch of guys who were a credit to the service, uniform and humankind.
I hope they are flying in a better place now. I'll raise a glass to you fella's.

ScottishTotty
3rd Sep 2006, 18:27
First timer as a contributor to PPrune but Ex 120 nav so had to say something. I was shocked and devastated to hear of the news.

I would like to pass on my condolences to the families grieving right now - I have changed this sentance lots of times as I really don't know what to say (unusal for me!) except I am thinking of the guys that gave their life today.

And to those that have left us early - get the beers in for when we all meet again in the Scruffs in the sky - see you soon xx

Gone but most definately will not be not forgotten - you will always be in my thoughts x x

GasFitter
3rd Sep 2006, 18:33
My thoughts are with all affected by this shocking and terrible news.
RIP.
http://www.et.byu.edu/~wheeler/benchtop/pix/poppy2.jpg

Uncle Fester
3rd Sep 2006, 18:34
Lost some good friends yesterday. RIP Gentlemen. My thoughts are with families, friends and other colleagues.

lox
3rd Sep 2006, 18:52
My wife and I would like to express our sincerest condolences to all those involved in this tragic event. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends and with those who are still far away from home and hurting-God bless.

Ex 120

brit bus driver
3rd Sep 2006, 18:53
Heard the news yesterday, with the usual uninformed speculation. Only heard late this afternoon that it was an MR2. Thoughts and condolences to all the families. RIP and Godspeed chaps.

November4
3rd Sep 2006, 19:01
MOD released the names as

Flt Lt Steven Johnson
Flt Lt Leigh Anthony Mitchelmore
Flt Lt Gareth Rodney Nicholas
Flt Lt Allan James Squires
Flt Lt Steven Swarbrick

FS Gary Wayne Andrews
FS Stephen Beattie
FS Gerard Martin Bell
FS Adrian Davis

Sgt Benjamin James Knight
Sgt John Joseph Langton
Sgt Gary Paul Quilliam

L Cpl Oliver Simon Dicketts, Parachute Regiment
Mne Joseph David Windall, Royal Marines

RIP

Stumpy1000
3rd Sep 2006, 19:04
RIP all.

So very very sorry for all the families.

reddeathdrinker
3rd Sep 2006, 19:08
Knew a lot of the crew, did my last guard stint with Steve Beattie as well.

All good guys. Thoughts with all the families.

A Nimrod Liney.

RudolphHucker
3rd Sep 2006, 19:08
God Ive just seen the names, This cant be happening Im Gutted, Gary Q was a diamond, cant believe he wont be coming home. My thoughts go out to Rayna.
RIP Q

Flak Jacket
3rd Sep 2006, 19:13
Words cannot express my feelings.

Rest in peace gentlemen and heroes.

From all the family.

shandyman
3rd Sep 2006, 19:14
Have been away from ISK for almost two years now but was good friends with two of the crew and on beer drinking terms with another four. I would like to say a wise thing or two but I can't find the words to get across how I feel. I can only imagine how hard it is for others.
Be sure that we are thinking of the families of all 14 and will anything possible to help in any we can.
I will raise a beer or few when the opportunity presents itself and hope that when I come back, as wet men invariably do, I can stand and be counted as admirably and bravely as you.
Mr and Mrs Shandyman

cazatou
3rd Sep 2006, 19:17
My personal experience of the professionalism of Maritime Aircrew was Sharjah in 1968 when we were profoundly grateful for the "SHACK" who "just happened" to be somewhere "in the vicinity" when we were "running out" of legal options. Of course we always managed to comply with the rules - "with a little help from our friends".

teeteringhead
3rd Sep 2006, 19:19
"Too full already is the grave, of fellows who were good and brave .... and died because they were."

And the "Scruffs in the Sky" has had too bloody many new members this year.

RIP and thoughts and prayers for all at ISK.

shandyman
3rd Sep 2006, 19:20
I see the names are now common knowledge. Tapper, you were one of the brightest, funniest and most loyal guys I ever had the pleasure of flying with. Gary, I have too many memories to recount of nights in various bars and laughs over various bar tabs. Whilst I know the other guys I don't feel I could do them justice on this thread so rest easy gentlemen with the knowledge that I will forever attempt to live my life with the guts and determination that you showed, throughout yours.
Shandyman.

L1A2 discharged
3rd Sep 2006, 19:24
Rest in peace one and all.

Brian Dixon
3rd Sep 2006, 19:29
Words still fail.....

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=1687208
(Link will remain for two days)

BEE HIVE
3rd Sep 2006, 19:32
A crew of the very best! Fond memories of times spent with those I had the pleasure to fly alongside with, in particular Steve Beattie - hope there is a golf course up there for you mate. My thoughts and prayers go to all the families concerned.

Wee Jock
3rd Sep 2006, 19:54
Tragic. What a sad day. Sincere condoleces to all family and friends.

spaniels ears
3rd Sep 2006, 20:03
have just raised a glass to all on board. Tapper Knight - a lovely guy who will be sadly missed.
RIP

DHI
3rd Sep 2006, 20:08
Hate times like these, friends gone but not forgotton.

RIP

DHI

Focks 2
3rd Sep 2006, 20:10
Huge loss. Deepest condoleces.

Tonkenna
3rd Sep 2006, 20:10
Our thoughts are with you all... a truely terrible event.

Tonks and Mrs T

althenick
3rd Sep 2006, 20:22
A terrible loss

Don't think I can add to what has already been said other than my thoughts are with the families.

ATN

scouse-gyt
3rd Sep 2006, 20:23
A tragic loss of which I cannot express in words, thoughts to all family and friends especially of SB, GQ, GN.

S&J

bluetail
3rd Sep 2006, 20:29
Just seen the list

Steve Beattie was a mate, flown with him, drank with him, golfed with him

RIP Steve

RIP his crew

realengineer
3rd Sep 2006, 20:48
A tragic loss of which I cannot express in words, thoughts to all family and friends especially of SB, GQ, GN.

S&J

As with Scouse I am lost for words, My Thougths are with Steve, Gary Q, Gary Andrews especially. I had the pleasure of being friends with you guys and you will be missed.

CLennon

Colonal Mustard
3rd Sep 2006, 20:57
To The Crew - a poem by Alfred Noyes

Never since English ships went out
To singe the beard of Spain,
Or English sea-dogs hunted death
Along the Spanish Main,
Never since Drake and Raleigh won
Our freedom of the seas,
Have sons of Britain dared and done
More valiantly than these.

Whether at midnight or at noon,
Through mist or open sky,
Eagles of freedom, all our hearts
Are up with you on high;
While Britain's mighty ghosts look down
From realms beyond the sun
And whisper, as their record pales,
Their breathless, deep, Well Done!

May all of you take rest and sleep eternal peace........CM:ok:

Hoots
3rd Sep 2006, 21:07
Like so many at Kinloss over the years I have had many great times flying and being on det with the likes of BT,Q,Al,Gary and Ade.

BT putting his specs onto his tray in McDonald's in Malaysia then throwing the contents of his tray into the bin and being half way across the bridge when he realised always brings a smile to my face. Not often you see a guy in a flying suit sorting through the rubbish in a fast food resturant looking for lost specs.

Words seem so inadequate in times like these. Have been looking at some old photos, brings back so many happy memories.

My heart goes out to the loved ones of everyone involved. They may have left us, but will certainly never be forgotten.

Amateur Aviator
3rd Sep 2006, 21:12
RIP boys, RIP.

AA

Phoney Tony
3rd Sep 2006, 21:12
My thoughts are with you all, especially the families, at RAF Kinloss during this terrible period.

I had the pleasure of knowing many of the crew during my maritime days.

11 years ago tomorrow (4 Sep 95) I deployed to Malaysia with Al and Steve and enjoyed an outstanding 2 weeks.

Rest in Peace

ORAC
3rd Sep 2006, 21:18
These were not gods, or demi-gods
Just simple men men who flew
They did their job, as such men do
Who count among The Few.

The Gorilla
3rd Sep 2006, 21:21
I sit here with tears in my eyes for all of them but especially for Gez and Ady. When I last saw Gez at some other craphole called Thumrait very shortly before I threw the towel in, we discussed setting up an HGV haulage business together. If only..

Ady and I caught up at last years final Air Eng dinner at Cranwell, to me he was and always will be Mr Nimrod..

Lost for words..

Nothings forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten......

tablet_eraser
3rd Sep 2006, 21:23
Not knowing any of the guys who've made the ultimate sacrifice hasn't allayed my sense of loss. No matter how remote from me, no matter how different their mission, they were colleagues. We are all colleagues. We have all been hit by this one way or another.

My heartfelt condolences to the families of all 14 men who died. Words could never capture how they are feeling now.

Joe Black
3rd Sep 2006, 21:27
Very well said Tablet,

Your words are appreciated greatly at ISK
JB

Tartan Giant
3rd Sep 2006, 21:27
DCO lads.

Not forgetting the Para Reg man and the RM man.

RIP one and all

TG (203 and 206)

idle jack
3rd Sep 2006, 21:34
Will have a beer for you Guys, RIP....

Ex 120 Sqn in 90's remember T '95 too well.

(jfb)

Dave Angel
3rd Sep 2006, 21:45
When we were told the names of the guys this morning I couldn't and still can't get my head round how much quality we lost in a single moment.
I pray that over the coming days, weeks and months the families take some comfort from the high regard in which they were all held.
Gents you will not be forgotten.
I hope 'the hardcore' had the beers lined up waiting on the bar in heavens happy hour.
God Bless.

Mighty Norman
3rd Sep 2006, 21:49
What do you do!? Still can't believe it....what a great bunch of blokes....can't ge my head around anyof it esp. the date.....120/9 - 2nd Sept 1995 and predominantely 'ex-42', 120/3 - 2nd Sept 2006 and predominantely 'ex-206'...wierd sh*t?
Al Squires - one of the nicest blokes on this planet, Q - OMG.....Ady, BT, GN, Gez, Boggle.......how many more? Didn't know the newer guys as well as the 'old-feckers' but met Tapper and The Hoff.........the whole lot are fekkin heros in my book.......as an ex-120 'I was there for Toronto crash' bloke...this is simply horrific, my heart goes to the families of all....120 mates and 'guests' alike...**** and bleedin arse boys....

adr
3rd Sep 2006, 21:57
May they rest in peace.

Condolences to all affected.

adr

bakseetblatherer
3rd Sep 2006, 23:20
My deepest condolences to all the family, friends and workmates.
Kiwi

Mead Pusher
3rd Sep 2006, 23:38
I remember Toronto as well - I was at Kinloss that year. It's true, they are heroes one and all. Doing their duty and paying the ultimate price.

I've raised my glass to them, as I'm sure you all have.

The Proctologist
4th Sep 2006, 01:09
Bastard!
Can't believe I won't be seeing any of them again!
Relieved Gez 6 months ago so he could go back to ISK.....
Always seemed to meet up with BT in some sandy ****hole....
Had fond memories of Gareth from 42 and Gary from 42R.
Hope it's all worth it guys -we can't afford to lose people like you!
God Speed.

richlear
4th Sep 2006, 01:52
Cheers boys.
Rich

c130 alm
4th Sep 2006, 01:58
Went through training with lots of kinloss guys but none of the guys were known to me.

A sad sad day bringing back memories of our lost herc last year.

My thoughts are with all the kinloss guys and their families. Its a horrible thing to happen.

There are no words that will do the guys justice.

Rest in peace guys.

justawanab
4th Sep 2006, 03:24
This awful tragedy comes as a multiple blow.
First and foremost is the tragic loss of life for which I offer my prayers and sincere condolences to those who are left behind.
Then there is the severe blow this has caused to the RAF. A great and noble service which my father served in with great pride during WW2. A connection I too am always proud to acknowledge.
Then there is the loss of a great aircraft, with a strong and often forgotten linage. I have always had a strong love of the Comet and it's descendents since flying as a child in G-APDF, which became the RAE's XV814, and had so much input into the development of the mighty Nimrod.

Yet, even with this, my sense of loss can go no where near that experienced by the families, loved ones and colleagues of those who are gone. May they Rest In Peace.

XW420
4th Sep 2006, 06:26
Knew GaryQ from his time at 182 (Flixton) Squadron ATC

"had a beer, proper beer with a foaming head like I was taught, not that namby pampy lager"

GQ out
RIP

eal401
4th Sep 2006, 06:30
Not military, but have links with the Nimrod.

Nothing can describe the horror and shock at the news on Saturday. My thoughts are with everyone at Kinloss and with the families.

LOOPYGIRL
4th Sep 2006, 06:56
To read all your thoughts and prayer's for those who have died is heart rendering , i send all my thoughts and prayers to the familys for there awfull loss, i have no connection to the millitary but as im sure the nation is moarning with you all .i have heartfelt thanks for all you boys and girls, Be safe

loopygirl

R.I.P

pikeyeng
4th Sep 2006, 07:23
:sad: A sad day and a great loss knew half the guys my sympathy goes out to all their families just can't believe it. RIP

El Mirador
4th Sep 2006, 07:23
Prayers and many many thoughts for all the family, collegues and people who have been affected by this tragic loss.

Terry K Rumble
4th Sep 2006, 07:25
Unashamed to say that I am writing this with tears streaming down my face and an unbelievably heavy heart. So many happy times on 120, just can't take it all in at the moment.
RIP guys and God speed. I'm sorry, I'm simply too upset to write any more.
Terry & Jane Rumble

Hammer Head Too
4th Sep 2006, 07:42
RIP to all the Service personnel aboard.
Such a tragedy.
HH2

The Swinging Monkey
4th Sep 2006, 07:47
Such terrible sadness at home tonight, Mrs SM especially sad and upset.
All of our thoughts and prayers are for those left behind at ISK, but the happy memories of time spent on 120 are there with me for ever.
Gazzer, I can't believe we won't be spending time in some far-flung bar somewhere, with Adie and the others.
God, what a **** day.
RIP everyone, we won't forget you.
God Bless
Mr & Mrs Swinging Monkey

little em
4th Sep 2006, 10:00
my family and i had the pleasure of spending time with ady and chris at finningley our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very sad time. my husband also recognises some of the other faces from our time up on 201 .

SRENNAPS
4th Sep 2006, 10:03
Adie and myself were Sooties together at BZN 28 years ago. I remember him going off to do his training to become aircrew like it was yesterday. I was a young singly and spent many hours round his MQ drinking and having Sunday Dinners after a few hours down the The Plough at Alvescot. I will never forget him.

My thoughts are with all at Kinloss.

J.A.F.O.
4th Sep 2006, 11:56
Some of the names and faces ring distant bells and my thoughts and condolences go to all of the families involved, including the soldier and marine.

The one name that struck was Q; when I arrived at Kinloss he took me under his wing and taught me everything I should know and a thousand things I shouldn't.

I have lots of memories of times with Q and, I'm proud to say, not one of them is publishable on an open forum. I don't think the scruff's bar in the sky is ready for Gazzer.

RIP

Inspector Dreyfuss
4th Sep 2006, 12:09
Condolences to everyone at Kinloss. Tragic.

push&start
4th Sep 2006, 12:17
Condolences to all those at ISK, especially to the family of Gez Bell. Went through Finningley and the OCU with Gez in 88/89. Remember "Gump House" being feared by all the baby Wet Men when we were back at Finningley in the mid 90's as instructors. A great, straight talking bloke, one of a kind.

Also flew with Steve Beattie and Gary Q during my time on 206.

You will always be remembered

Ex 206 Eng

sarahg19
4th Sep 2006, 12:23
I'm new to this but being in a Air Force Family and at Lyneham when we lost the Herc last year, The memories and pain are all brought back. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those left behind.
RIP

OC LUAS
4th Sep 2006, 12:46
The thoughts and prayers of all members of Liverpool University Air Squadron are with the friends and families of those bereived following the recent Nimrod crash in Afghanistan. As well as a personal friend, Flt Lt Al Squires started his flying career as a member of LUAS: he, and his colleagues, will be sorely missed.

May they all rest in peace.

OC LUAS

cruiseczechs
4th Sep 2006, 12:51
Deepest sympathies to all the families involved.

I didn't know any of the O's, but I knew 4 of the knockers through 201 or the sim, all great blokes.

regards

cruiseczechs (ex 201 dryman)

max2105
4th Sep 2006, 13:50
Left 201 Sqn less than a year ago. Found out the news on the other side of the globe - ripped my heart and thoughts right back to Kinloss.

Great guys - you will be sorely missed.

Love to your families in this hardest of times.

JD

Willy Miller
4th Sep 2006, 13:51
17 (and counting) pages, it says it all.
All our thoughts are with the crew, their loved ones, all at Kinloss and on det. will be raising a glass.

Mat “Shifty” Taylor ex 120Sqn.

HappyHunter
4th Sep 2006, 16:11
I'm sitting at home on OPS standby at Kinloss while my friends share a beer together on 120SQN commiserating our recent loss. Thought I'd take a look at this thread and I am overwhelmed at the number of condolence and sympathy messages.

I only knew 5 of the crew, 1 of whom was a good friend. This is a big reminder of losing my friends in Toronto in '95 - I was on 120 Sqn crew 9 until 4 weeks prior to the accident.

I don't think I can begin to convey how devastated Kinloss is right now - time is standing still here. The press are camped like wolves outside the gate but the squadron commanders are doing a good job despite this.

For Gary, Steve, Ady, Q, Jez and Al - Rest in peace my friends.
For the families of all concerned - my deepest deepest sympathy.
For the lads still in theatre - you are doing a fantastic job and I look forward to seeing you out there soon.
For the boys and girls drinking on 120Sqn - the pianos are all over on 201.

SOURFILTH
4th Sep 2006, 16:29
The world is a lesser place today.....God's speed guys.

To those of you I knew - I am a better person for knowing you.

ExRAFRadar
4th Sep 2006, 16:29
My deepest condolences to all the families at this tragic time.

Those you left behind will miss you but those who went before you will welcome you at happy hour.

Long time since I left but my heart is always with the Hunter family.

God's speed.

alwayzinit
4th Sep 2006, 17:16
Just gutted by the news of a "Hunter" down.

My best wishes and sincere condolences to the families.

Rest easy lads.

Alwayz

ex CXX and 42

ExRAFAC
4th Sep 2006, 17:28
There, but for the grace of God......

Bye Gary, Bye Steve, Bye Ady. To you and those I never met, I salute you.

Ex 42, CXX, 206

Gwladys
4th Sep 2006, 18:46
Still can't find the words to express my feelings. I sincerely hope that the families of the guys involved gain some crumb of comfort from the many posts on here.
I had the priviliege of flying on 201 with some of the crew, and was taught to instruct by Al at Linton - a nicer guy you will not meet.
Rest in peace boys. All my thoughts are with your families, in particular the children who can feel proud to have fathers like yourselves.

DICKY the PIG
4th Sep 2006, 18:48
Still struggling to comprehend......rest easy boys.
Ade, I'm gonna miss opening your mail, and having mine read by you first.
Can't seem to think of anything funny to say at the moment....even PMA can't laugh and post us together again.
Sleep well Davies709,
Davies705.

6foottanker
4th Sep 2006, 19:29
Days later and I still can't believe it's happened. Thoughts are with all the families, and everyone at Kinloss. Was out there last month working with the Rod and knew SS from Jefts. Have raised a glass to you all and wish you god speed.

6'

Wossie
4th Sep 2006, 19:57
Time is standing still at the moment. Have lost some very good friends, some who I knew only as colleagues and some who I didn't know but counted as future friends or colleagues. We will get by and time will eventually start to move again and as they say time is a healer, but it doesn't provide a full cure, we will always remember.

RIP

Safety_Helmut
4th Sep 2006, 20:41
Worst fears confirmed today when I saw the photographs, the same Ady Davies that taught me a valuable lesson many moons ago when I was a young lad on 51. If you're reading this, do you remember those SSA fuses out in Cyprus ?

Rest in peace all of you.

Safety_Helmut

IZP
4th Sep 2006, 21:33
Never felt the slightest temptation to post before. RIP fellas.

CXX 95-01

Always a Sapper
4th Sep 2006, 21:36
Words still fail.....

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=1687208
(Link will remain for two days)

Nice one Brian.

Mike Oxbigg
4th Sep 2006, 21:37
Words cannot describe the sense of shock here at Kinloss and the local area at the moment, it seems to have affected everyone.
RIP Guys, particularly Gary Q and Steve Beattie. I find it hard to believe we won't see them walking into the office any more.

heights good
4th Sep 2006, 21:40
I only knew JL, what a top bloke. I went through basic Airmen Aircrew Training with him. John kept me on the straight and narrow. I could list numerous stories about his antics and escapades but not really the place.

RIP Langy ill have a beer for you. There will be a lot of broken hearts all over for you. God speed mate

bangin0ut
4th Sep 2006, 21:43
Its difficult to put my feelings into words right now, other than to say 'numb' :(
My deepest sympathy for all those involved at this most tragic and devestating time.
Tapper, Langy, Steve, Gareth, and Swarbs, thanks for making my last OCU courses as an instructor ones that will live in the memory for so many reasons!
As already said 'just great guys'
RIP one and all
Ex 201, 120 and 42

old-timer
4th Sep 2006, 22:31
Deepest Respects to one & all, you paid the highest price & I pray this country never forgets.

The conflicts may change but the spirit remains the same - honour & respect, forever to the end.
Godspeed.

Thinking of you all at this tragic time - kindest condolences for the families, friends & colleagues

Deepest respects & sincere support to all on op's overseas & in UK.

Monkeywoman
5th Sep 2006, 00:25
Yet again more heartache and sadness for all the families & loved ones involved with the Nimrod accident.
With deepest sympathy to each and everyone of you, my thoughts are with you all at this very sad time.
( I do know how you all feel at the moment & would be lying if I said it gets any easier, you've all got some very hard days ahead of you).

God Bless you all
RIP x

Trainspotter
5th Sep 2006, 08:28
The volume of support shown on these pages must be a comfort to all affected by this tragic event; I just wanted to add my prayers and thoughts to all at Kinloss at this time.

ex-206,201

LOOPYGIRL
5th Sep 2006, 09:04
FLYER'S PRAYER
When this life I'm in is done,
And at the gates I stand,
My hope is that I answer all
His questions on command.
I doubt He'll ask me of my fame,
Or all the things I knew, Instead,
He'll ask of rainbows sent
On rainy days I flew.
The hours logged, the status reached,
The ratings will not matter.
He'll ask me if I saw the rays
And how He made them scatter.
Or what about the droplets clear,
I spread across your screen?
And did you see the twinkling eyes.
If student pilots keen?
The way your heart jumped in your chest,
That special solo day-
Did you take time to thank the one
Who fell along the way?
Remember how the runway lights
Looked one night long ago
When you were lost and found your way,
And how-you still dont know?
How fast, how far, how much, how high?
He'll ask me not these things
But did I take the time to watch
The Moonbeams wash my wings?
And did you see the patchwork fields
And moutains I did mould;
The mirrored lakes and velvet hills,
Of these did I behold?
The wind he flung along my wings,
On final almost stalled.
And did I know I it was His name,
That I so fearfully called?
And when the goals are reached at last,
When all the flyings done,
I'll answer Him with no regret-
Indeed, I had some fun.
So when these things are asked of me,
And I can reach no higher,
My prayer this day - His hand extends
To welcome home a Flyer.

Winco
5th Sep 2006, 09:26
There are no words I can say to express my utter devistation at the loss of so many good men. What is there to say? I have shed many tears and drunk too much since hearing the tragic news.
I knew Garry and Adie particularly well, and spent so many happy times when we were all on the same 201 crew 2. Bob Henry and Uncle George Morris, Buffers, Sticky, Terry R, Derek M, Gerry M, Mick ? & Brendon M, and of course others.
Guys, do you remember us all getting 'banged up' in Gib? when Sticky got airborne from the scafolding? happy days eh?
To all the guys we have lost, your memory will last in our hearts forever, and your place in history is secured. You will never be forgotten, and when people speak your name, it will be with pride, honour and a big smile on their faces as they remember, like myself, all of the good and very happy times we all sepnt together.
RIP chaps and God Bless you all.
Mr & Mrs Winco

pipistrelle
5th Sep 2006, 10:15
my deepest condolences to all the relatives of the lost crew. All will be sadly missed. My thoughts are also with the rest of CXX, I spent many years on this great squadron and although I have been away for several years it still hurts.
RIP

PartOrbit
5th Sep 2006, 11:08
Heartfelt condolences to all invlolved in this terrible tragedy.

From all at F R Aviation and Flight Precision, Teesside.

PLE Always
5th Sep 2006, 11:25
Words fail me. What a terrible loss.

My thoughts to the families of the crew.

PLE..

OpsMunkie
5th Sep 2006, 12:37
My deepest, deepest sympathies to the friends and families and everyone else touched by this tragic event. May you all find the strength to carry on, and may the departed rest in peace.

OM

betty swallox
5th Sep 2006, 12:45
Gutted.

Knew many of them well. Especially the Captain.

Gutted.

Still hasn't sunk in.

Wish I could do something.

Gutted.

Ex-206 pilot

Easy,easy,steady.
5th Sep 2006, 13:00
A sad day for all and I wish I could adequately express my feelings right now.
Gareth was my team leader down "in the hole" at St M. a few years back, and I still remember giving him grief about his dress sense, particularly the ear ring!
My thoughts and condolences are with all the families and friends at this most difficult of times.
All of us in the dark blue at the other end of the country are thinking of you and your loss.

RIP fellas and have a cold one waiting for us.

cockneyrock
5th Sep 2006, 14:02
My thoughts and prairs to all the families of the crew, particularly Scouse Langton (the only one I knew).

I knew Scouse when he was an RAF Regt Gunner; he was a top bloke and a subordinate that I would also consider a friend.

I hope I speak for all of the RAF Regiment when I say that our thoughts are with you all.

Scouse, Per Ardua and RIP.

RAF Regt

sturussell25
5th Sep 2006, 14:15
Only knew Stevie B socially, from the Carisbrooke, and always enjoyed our Old Firm rivalry. As ex Nimrod groundcrew of 14 years my deepest sympathies to all involved. Fantastic aircraft, fantastic aircrew, fantasic community.
RIP guys you'll all be missed. Forres is a darker place, now you are gone.

BootFlap
5th Sep 2006, 14:19
Deepest condolences to the families of all 14 brave souls. Been on the same net, and been shepherded across the pond many times by all of you at Kinloss. My respect and sympathies lie with you all. At times like these we all feel the pain, I hope all the posts here show you this pain can be shared, not borne alone.
RIP to all
a saddened FJ friend.

the toothfairy
5th Sep 2006, 16:31
Only knew Gez and family well. We both loved Gez. He had a brilliant sense of humour, very dry, but extemely witty. The world will be a lot more dull and boring without you, Gez. Take care, Fiona, I am thinking of you all at this dreadful time.

rebep636
5th Sep 2006, 17:15
I am non military but have links with RAF through family. I only knew one of the crew, Ste (Swarbs) and i have lost an absolute gem of a friend. I can't find any words to describe the loss i feel, but my tears have been for the family and friends of all 14 that were involved, as well as for myself. :sad: I hope you all get through this and come out the other side smiling when you think back to the ray of sunshine your loved ones brought to your life.

That these people risk their lives without a second thought is humbling indeed and i wish they were here for me to thank them.

RIP guys,
With much love for you S, R

monkey88
5th Sep 2006, 17:15
We are all hurting and missing you all, gone but never forgotten!

AS. You were more than just a great pilot, you were a great mentor.
AD. I've never felt as relaxed as having you watch over me.
GN. You were a good friend, a great laugh. Ill never forget your board of earings. I always remember being angry at you waking me up at 3 in the morning with your family behind you, asking to sleep on my floor. (But Ill always forget that it was me that locked you out in the first place).
SB. There will be a place next to me on the blackjack table, and a seat next to me at parkhead.

NEVER FORGOTTEN!

day1-week1
5th Sep 2006, 17:57
A tragic event for 120 Sqn and all at Kinloss. I knew some of the crew , to say hello to at least, but considered John Langton to be a good friend having gone through some of our time at Cranwell together. John's exploits are legendary to all who knew him and that doesn't count his time as a Gunner. But the other side to John was a genuinely nice bloke and an absolute true gentleman whenever he was with me and my family with whom he was very popular. We were all sadden at his loss and our thoughts are with John's family and Kate at this most difficult of times.

d1-w1

fabs
5th Sep 2006, 18:07
Just really sunk in now. Lost two guys off my IOT cse's (1 off each cse I did) and the brother of a mate. :(

R.I.P

Small Spinner
5th Sep 2006, 19:10
Couldn't write anything until now.
I knew Gary to speak to, Gez better still, Gareth was my 3rd wet on 42 and Ady was on 96 course at Finningley with me. Chris and Ady were such a smashing couple, who put us up for a week, in their quarter, when we first arrived on 201. Our heart goes out to you Chris, and your family at this time, as well as the other crewmembers families.

T & L

Brian Dixon
5th Sep 2006, 20:34
Ladies and Gentlemen,
you may like to know that all those who were lost on 2 September 2006 are remembered on the following website: http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/intro.htm

Enter the site and scroll to the Afghanistan section. The crew are listed in the RAF section, and L Cpl Dickets and Marine Windall are mentioned in the Parachute Regiment and Royal Marine sections respectively.

All still very much in my thoughts.
Brian

Cornerstone958
5th Sep 2006, 20:59
On behalf of the National Malaya & Borneo Veterans Association I wish to offer our sincere and Heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of those who perished trying to make the World a better place.
God speed young men RIP
National Chairman

Terry K Rumble
6th Sep 2006, 07:17
Another day dawns, and still the dreadful pain in my heart for friends lost in this event lingers on. I have read this thread several times each day, and have been overwhelmed by the responce from others and their kind and compassionate words for the families and friends of those we have lost.

Gary and Adie. You were two of my best mates when I was at Kinloss, and I remember with great happiness all the many greta times we spent around the world together. I can't begin to tell you how sad Jane and I are at this time. The same goes for those we didn't know.

Gentlemen, you have left this world, but you will remain in all our hearts forever. We will never forget you, and you can rest peacefully, safe in the knowledge that when those of us that are left talk about you, it will be with a heavy heart but with a huge smile on our faces as we remember the great times we were blessed at having had together.

RIP guys, God Bless.
Terry & Jane

Type1Dsl
6th Sep 2006, 07:30
Many fond memories of happier times with Gary, Gez, Gary, AD, Steve and Al. For you and the other guys we didn't get to know, RIP and heartfelt condolences to your loved ones from myself and my wife

Ex 120 and 206

Fast but Safe
6th Sep 2006, 08:02
Having read the, well I don't know how to say it. Outstandanding comments that have been put forward, it's hard to add any more.

I think Terry & Jane put it right on the spot.

When those of us that are left talk about you, it will be with a heavy heart but with a huge smile on our faces as we remember the great times we were blessed at having had together.

To some this may be only a record of thoughts, but to the family and friends it is a heart warmer that is hard to find anywhere else.

I knew some of the guys, top blokes. Pro's and comedians all in one. It's a very sad loss.

It must be so hard for the family of lost ones to read this, but after reading the words of respect and enjoyment of thier lives, it puts a grin on the old chops. Those guys had more of a life than the average Joe, and then some.

My respect goes out, to the guys we've lost, their family and friends.

FbS

Winco
6th Sep 2006, 09:17
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with Terry and FbS. We have all been blessed at having known these guys, and the lives of countless others have been blessed also.

Whilst this is undoubdedly a sad time and tragic time, I hope that the family and all of us can at least take some comfort in knowing that our lives have been richer, better, safer and much much happier for having known them all.

The Winco

BEE HIVE
6th Sep 2006, 11:33
I wholeheartedly agree with Terry & Jane - "overwhelmed by the responce from others and their kind and compassionate words for the families and friends of those we have lost"

It would be wonderful if the threads could be produced in hard copy for the familes?

SB - I am trying to check if your flying suit (fully badged up) is still stapled to the ceiling of that famous American diner we used to frequent during Ex RUM PUNCH?! Hope so.

RIP all.

woptb
6th Sep 2006, 11:52
Thoughts are with the family and friends.
Will raise a glass tonight.

Ex NLF.

gib
6th Sep 2006, 13:50
my deepest condolences to the loved ones who have lost heros in ths disaster

may thay all rest in the peace in wich thay were fighting for.

from an ex brother in arms

Hoots
6th Sep 2006, 14:37
Reading this thread brings a huge lump to the throat and tears to the eyes, so many great guys and so many happy memories.

Al, a total pro and a genuine nice guy.

Ady, again a total pro and a gent

'Q' always remember his flying boots being filled with water and put in the fridge, sadly didnt freeze after 2 days in the Sheraton in catania.

'BT' always good friendly banter with him, especially of a football nature. Then we left him on the mainland in Malaysia once, took him a while to get back to the hotel after a car journey, then a ferry then rickshaw and bus, fortunately he saw the funny side as we all did. I believe his flying suit has been removed from that resturant, but was there for quite a few years.

The rest of the guys, flew with many of them and didn't know some as well as others, but for all, and let us not forget LCpl Dicketts and Marine Windall.......

RIP guys................we will always remember

flying_tyger
6th Sep 2006, 16:05
one of the crew on board grwe up in my hometown and was part of my swimming club. It's a shock to say the least.

RIP all.

sheds
6th Sep 2006, 16:27
Dawn and I also passing on our condolences to all at Kinloss - your loss is shared by many. Both myself and your previous, and current, OC had much fun and games with many of the crew whilst on 206 - they were often in my office for many a reason as they were never short in telling me that my planning was wrong! It often was, as many of you would substantiate! On reflection, they all taught me a great deal and I always valued their opinion be that in the air, the office, or the bar!

We've all shared some wonderful moments together, would not dare share them on here - and I trust that you've drunk the bar dry ten times over in the finest traditions of a great Squadron and Service.

I know the families are in good hands as a top bunch is left behind and my regards to you all at this troubled hour. My NATO colleagues here also send their condolences - we've raised a glass or 2 a few times over for you all. Our thoughts are with all you Mighty Hunters.

wow400
6th Sep 2006, 17:21
RIP chaps
My thoughts are with the families
Nic

markerboy
6th Sep 2006, 18:34
My I the thoughts and prayers of myself and mrs MB. Our hearts are filled with the saddness this tragedgy. I knew the guys from previous tours at ISK and some better than others. Nothing can prepare you for a day like saturday. I know the families are in good hands and Gez, the old crew 7 party won't be the same without ya man....

Rent-An-Eng
6th Sep 2006, 19:11
My thoughts and tears are with the families of the brave, poor souls so sadly taken from us on Saturday.
I am devastated and numb, I knew them all, flew with them all and with all probability fell over in a bar with them all during my time Up North!
Too many good memories, funny tales and respect for valued colleagues. I will miss them all.
Ade taught me all that I know ( well used to remember!), a true mentor and friend in every respect although I have not followed him in his penchant for ballet tights and a tu tu!
I have known Ade since Finningley and was always touched by his constant love and time he cherished with Chris and their 4 children who were the pride of his life. A real gentleman.

May all the concerned familes find peace in the coming weeks, we will all be thinking about them.

STEVE67
6th Sep 2006, 20:33
Never felt the urge to post before; I guess this is one way of sharing a heartfelt loss a distance from ISK, the spiritual home to many of us who have spent most of our adult lives there.

11 of the 12 were friends I have shared logbook entries with; I consider the other a good friend even although we never met.

To those family members left behind please accept my deepest condolences; my prayers are with you and my Mum has been lighting candles in memory.

Too many memories to commit to print..........

206, CXX, 42, Sig, Gib, Key West, The Beastie, Miami, BAS, Malin Head, North Sea, Cape Wrath, Sardinia, Penang, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Irish Sea, Kef, Finningley, St Mawgan, Skaw, Nimes, The Carisbrook, Comox, St Johns, Autec, Seeb,

every time I wrote one down it brought a memory and smile,

Boys, you made the world a richer and safer place - be proud of all you achieved; you will not be forgotten,

LBW

cooheed
6th Sep 2006, 20:40
I hope they are all back here soon :(

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the mornings hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight,
I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die.

Poss1Low
6th Sep 2006, 21:00
RIP fellas. A devastating loss of a fine crew, I had the privilege of flying with several of them.

Flew with Q on 206/2 shared many hours, many beers and more than one bollocking with you Gary, it was an honour mate, Godspeed to you.

Couldn't believe the crew when I read the names, packed with so much experience and quality, good guys respected throughout the fleet.

Tears have been shed down here for you guys.

Deepest condolences to families and all at ISK, everyone is thinking of you.

Wettie ex 42,206.

Thanku
6th Sep 2006, 22:03
What can i say? I am overwhelmed by the condolences and felt the need to register to say thank you. I am Michelle, little sister of Adrian Davies and have spent so much time in the early hours of the morning the past few nights reading all of your kind words and thoughts for mine and all the other families who have lost loved ones.
Words cannot describe the sheer devastation and loss felt by us all losing our dear Ady, reading these do help, knowing we are not alone in our grief.
I would like to say that i am printing off each and every post to give to our mum and dad who will be joining Ady's wife Chris and the children tomorrow. I will also make sure that copies go to the other families.
The tears will not stop falling, thank you.

cyclic
6th Sep 2006, 22:25
Michelle

Thank you for your kind words at what must be a desperate time for your family. Our thoughts and tears are with you all.

Per ardua ad astra

Ex 201 Sqn FE

Winch-control
6th Sep 2006, 22:47
I knew none of them, but I grieve for them all.. They are are our heroes, everyone... I wish them onwards with speed, and thank them for the sterling service I have received.

cooheed
6th Sep 2006, 23:02
Michelle

God Bless

ORAC
7th Sep 2006, 07:14
Crew to return to home on Tuesday

The bodies of 14 British servicemen killed in a Nimrod crash in Afghanistan are being flown back to the crew's home base rather than the UK's usual military arrival point.

Normally when British military personnel are killed abroad they are brought back to RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire. But the Ministry of Defence said all the victims of Saturday's disaster would be repatriated to RAF Kinloss in Moray on Tuesday, September 12.

NimAGE139
7th Sep 2006, 08:39
As an ex crew-chief who knew the majority of the crew, my heart goes out to the families and colleagues of the victims of this tragic event. My particular sadness goes out to the families of Gez, Q and mostly Ady who shared many a ciggy with me on the pan before a see-off. A real gent and a great loss.

With all the furore about the press, the Government and political "point-scoring" please don't loose track of the real issue here. They were all professional and respected guys who were devoted to what they were doing and came to a sad end, doing what they wanted to do.....fly.

Let us not forget the unfortunate soldiers on board the aircraft either.

Come Tuesday, when they return to Kinloss, we must treat them with the respect and honour they deserve.

Rest in peace.

alexmac
7th Sep 2006, 10:09
My thoughts are with the families and rest of the crews at KIN. Thoughts also with the 120 Sqn crew who depart Friday to continue the duties of their colleagues

anti col
7th Sep 2006, 14:41
CXX sqn Crew 3 “ the drunken ducks”, it was a honour to have flown with you,
Rest in peace.

cynicalint
7th Sep 2006, 15:56
So many memories, so many good times. Emotions ranging from laughing at 'Do you remember when..' moments - to tears when reality returns. Many years shared on 206 crew with BT, an OCU and crew with Q, a Sqn with Ade and the kipper fleet with the others. It is the situation my family dreaded most and their thoughts and prayers are with you all. Lots of beers raised in memory but the hurt just won't go away..

RK. ex 206 LW

RIP chaps

Pontius Navigator
7th Sep 2006, 18:15
I didn't know any either but it is always sad when it happens and especially so you the large aircraft.

I am really lost for words but I feel for the crew, beyond anything now, may they rest in peace and also for the kith and kin who will remember for ever more.

I was there for the Kinloss crash and I still feel sad 30 years later.

God bless

ex 201 Nav

motleytwo
7th Sep 2006, 18:19
Knew the two Garys, Adie and Gez but to all friends and families deepest
sympathies for the tragic loss.

Ex 201/1, Finningley, MAOT, Cranwell AEOp

Data-Lynx
7th Sep 2006, 18:24
From those who will be saluting you in the Misty Moon tonight, and others who cannot get there:

If tears could build a stairway,
and memories a lane,
We could walk right up to Heaven
and bring you back again.

No farewell words were spoken,
No time to say "Goodbye",
You were gone before we knew it,
and only God knows why.

Since you'll never be forgotten,
We pledge to you today --
A hollowed place within our hearts,
is where you'll always stay.

Capt Widebody
7th Sep 2006, 19:45
Having posted my condolences with a heavy heart and a skinful on Saturday night, I'm now sitting here reading these hundreds of posts and touching poems in memory to the brave guys, and it brings a lump to my throat.

We all remember those long coach joureys to South Cerney and the like, or the four-jet taxis laid on to and from Brize; sometimes for us, sometimes by us for others. So thank I would like to say thank you very much to the powers that be for making the right decision to bring the boys back to Kinloss.

I would also like to say how proud I was to see a Nimrod (29, I think) rolling at Lossiemouth yesterday lunchtime, and then hearing another, maybe the same one, doing circuits at Linton on my return. I heard that there was one down at Cranwell too. Thank you for showing us all that the Mighty Hunter is still here, strong as ever, in the midst of these terrible times. I am sure you went out of your way to do this, and I am sure it is what all of those returning for the last time next Tuesday would have wanted.

For all of you up at ISK, I know you are looking after all of the friends, relatives and each other really well. I'm thinking of you all.

CW.

Toddington Ted
7th Sep 2006, 20:03
I was attending a graduation at Cranwell yesterday when the tannoy announced the Nimrod flypast. We went out to the front of Daedalus Mess to watch as it flew majestically over the Stn against a beautiful sky. Thank you.

CXXEng
7th Sep 2006, 20:10
What can you say? My thoughts and prayers go to the families of all lost. Tuesday will be a tough day for all. Kinloss and CXX will not let you down.
I knew all on board and had flown with most- your memory lives on!!!

(Ady- you were a Gentleman and 'set the standard'- You will be missed.)

May you all Rest In Peace

Brian Dixon
7th Sep 2006, 20:10
Good to hear that the crew will return home to ISK.

Do not mourn the extinguished candle flame - celebrate how brightly it burned.

With much respect to all, especially those left behind.
Brian

John Broadbent
7th Sep 2006, 20:23
Sheenagh and I were devastated to hear the news on Saturday.

To all the familes of those on board XV230, members of CXX at home and overseas and the many ex colleagues at ISK, you are very much in our thoughts. We are very sorry that we aren't up there with you to share the grieving process. The small crumb of comfort is that I know how many excellent guys there are on the Sqn to help support the families and help put the Sqn back on its feet.

Like Sheds, I have many happy memories of all the guys, some of whom I've known since first joining 206 in 1986. I hope to be able to write more personally to all the families soon.

The hurt will never go but I hope that time can take away some of the pain.

I wish there was more that I could say.

John Broadbent

Phil66
7th Sep 2006, 20:43
Hi , I am a personal friend of Gareth and was touched by the messages , especially those of you who knew him. My thoughts are with all families and friends of all those guys. I knew Gareth since school and always kept in touch with him and his family.

Love to H. & A.
Also to A. K. & G. (sisters)

Phil
(Ex Army Air Despatcher and JATE)
now MOD St M. Cornwall.

Dave Angel
7th Sep 2006, 20:46
Sadly I will miss the repatriation and funeral services as deploying on Monday. As I can't pay my respects in person I just want to pass on my condolences to all of the families and hope that the pride and appreciation shown for all of our absent brothers gives some comfort to the loved ones left behind.
You will all be in my thoughts over the coming days and weeks, God bless.
DA

LongLive206Sqn
7th Sep 2006, 20:54
Shocked and saddened by this news, especially when I heard the names on Sunday. Spent a couple of years crewed up with Q and Gary Andrews. Flew with or knew well most of the others. Many happy memories of my time with these guys on 206 - great fun to be with but utterly professional in the air. Now I have moved into the 'real world' I will treasure the memories. Hope to make it for Tuesday. I can't begin to imagine the grief of the wives, children and families left behind, but my thoughts are with you all.

SL 206 Sqn 1995-2000.

FreddieQ
7th Sep 2006, 22:15
What to say, I've just returned from a short break abroad and am shocked by what has happened. in my several years of service I had the honour and pleasure of flying with most of the dudes. Six of whom were mates who I had a lot of respect for as I do for most of my Nimrod ex-colleagues (I left 3 months ago). My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and loved ones, not forgetting the Army dudes. Thanks for the memories Gez, Gary, Ady, GaryQ, Gareth and SteveB, from the serious to the downright funny and bloody daft! I was staring at the front page, seeing you all and trying to make sense of things and after a while this spilled out of my head:

Racing clouds powered by the wind.
As across the sky they fly.
The azure backdrop like a blank artist canvas.
Highlighting their fluid shapes.

The early autumn breeze turns the leaves into
Dancing partners in a falling fandango.
And makes my eyes wince as tears stream.
I have to strain through the blurred, wet curtain.

My throat swelling with sorrow as I sit.
And comprehend the awful fate befallen.
On friends with whom I grew from boy to man.
Their faces as I need to remember them.

Smiling at me from the front page.
I look back to the sky and see them.
Raising their glasses with a wink in their eye.
I smile back,
'Ops normal mate,' they whisper, 'Ops normal.'

R.I.P. Dudes, laters.

studs
8th Sep 2006, 09:38
...I’ve just spent the last hour reading all the kind words and messages, all the while trying to swallow the lump in my throat and fighting the welling tears.

On Saturday the shock of hearing that one of our ‘Mighty Hunters’ had crashed was totally numbing. This was an aircraft I’d flown in and taken for granted for over six years, and what I heard took time to sink in…my shock then turned to fear as I realised that ex colleagues and perhaps friends could be lost.

Fears were realised on Sunday when I learned that ex colleagues like Gary Q, Steve B and Gary A, and a long time family friend like Gez were gone.

The fear has given way to pain and sadness, and I’m really quite shocked how much I’ve been moved by this terrible event. As I write this however, I can at least afford a smile because I knew them and I can picture them, and you know; they’re all smiling and they’ll never be forgotten.

Sympathies to the families of the para and the marine, while my heart truly goes out to the families of the twelve men of CXX at this most difficult time; your loss might seem unbearable but you can be justly proud because RAF Aircrew are a very special breed. I thought I left ‘one twenty’ years ago…but it seems I never did!

For Fiona and the Girls…thinking of you.

P & J, x

Many thanks to idle jack (another ex CXX) for bringing this forum to my attention.

DiscoStuWalker
8th Sep 2006, 13:05
To the families and friends of those lost to us:

Both mine and my family's hearts go out to you at this difficult time. Your boys were well loved by all those around them and the gap they have left behind will never be filled. They were brave and determined airman, professional to the last and their names will always be shown as examples of the best that the 'Kipper Fleet' ever knew. May they all rest in peace.

To the Mighty 120 Sqn:

I can't begin to imagine what life must be like in the crewroom at the mo. I miss you all and I know that you'll all do your utmost to bring the families through this terrible tragedy. I may well be seeing you all again soon, and if I do, we'll pull down a bottle of Gordon and McPhail's best from the 'Mini'-bar and drink to our friends. Take care all, you're simply the best Sqn there is.

Kind regards,

Disco

difar69
8th Sep 2006, 13:15
I left CXX and Kinloss after 5yrs on the Tues and then the dreadful news reached me on Sat. My head and heart is still with all of Kinloss, and is likely to be for some time. I knew them all, some better than others, and no words can describe my feelings at present.
I knew Leigh (the Hoff) very well. We were a Nav team for some time, and I couldn't have asked for better support as a new Capt. I will always remember him as a solid nav with so much potential,who always did more than he was asked. Flying with him was a joy. I will remember him as a true friend and gent. He will live on in my memories of our trip to NZ and on Ops. We had some top times mate, it was an honour. Rest easy.

zzdelete
8th Sep 2006, 21:32
Like many others, I’m still struggling coming to terms with this. God only knows what it must be like for all the families left behind. My heart goes out to you all. What we all have is fond, fond memories of some great guys.
Ade– A true gentleman, who was so proud of his family. My family had the pleasure of sharing some magic times with Ade, Chris and the children over many years. Chris...I'm so sorry, we are all thinking of you.
Gareth - Always remember Gareth dolling himself up as a “new romantic” on nights out in Newquay, during those halcyon 42 Sqn days…. before he settled for just an earring.
Gez, Gary, Steve, Q – Nimrod stalwarts who’ve been part of ISK for years. Just can’t imagine going to ISK and not bumping into you guys again.

Shona B and kids… thinking of you.

Fellas, you’ll soon be home. You’ve enriched our lives and you will never be forgotten. RIP.

Ex 42,236,201

euringineer
8th Sep 2006, 23:08
Gez was my little brother and visited me on CXX in 1976 when i was a Flt Eng.Alas he couldnt fly due to blocked ears,but he discovered the Carlton got threatened but rescued by me and Nick Green,we were stalwarts of the Rugby team and took no prisoners!!I thought then this is an omen for him not to become Aircrew.3 years later he enlists for A TECH Training at Halton.7 years later Cpl Bell applies for Flt Eng,as usual gets selected for AeOP,FAR TOO QUALIFIED FOR ENG AS HE IS HALTON TRAINED!!!He had to try his best to convert his electro-mechanical brain to accept the training and all us ENGs would have struggled as AeOPs.He made a good effort so i was proud of his stamina.
We are from a RAF FAMILY,so you could say that Gez being born in a RAF Hospital(ELY) was already at an early stage of RAF developement.He spent most of his childhood on RAF stations and when not playing was probably with my Dad on his section or drinking coke in the SGTs Mess.He eventually knew the RAF inside out which explains his impatience with the administration of his career.I am afraid the RAF did not know or appreciate his inside.He gave a gruff outside impression but he was a very thoughtful caring person.Unknown to most was his committment to the Catholic Church where he was appointed a Special Eucharistic Minister for the Royal Air Force.He could administer Holy Communion to fellow Christians.Few are chosen so as a family we were very proud.I hope he is enjoying his posting to Heaven!!!
Many happy memories of a great brother and friend.Always a wise counsel and good social company.He was too young to join me in my mess on HMS Dreadnought in my former life but he would have done me proud on a "Ships Visit"We grieve very much for him and wish you could have seen his more gentle side.He was a very popular "Uncle" at our many family "Hoolies"(Influenced by our mothers Cork Naval background,she was a wartime Wren)The nephews will miss his banter and drinking prowess.
Hope all the other families are slowly overcoming their grief.It will be a long slog and the wait for the funerals will be hard.Our family will pray for you all as well as our dear Gerard and hope some good will come of this disaster in our lives.
I had the honour of Ade on my B747 Flight Deck from Hannover to Ul Edied on his outbound deployment flight.Cannot believe it was the last time i saw him,dressed up in the theatre equipment.It did strike me what a DIFFERENT role the Nimrod is in now.I did not like it!!
Good luck to all Nimrod Crews especially the Falcons

Ex Falcon Crew 6

Steve Austin
9th Sep 2006, 15:25
It is almost exactly a week since the dreadful news first broke in the UK, and it has taken me that long to compose these words which, on reflection, still seem so inadequate.

I, like many others I have spoken to since, had strong suspicions as soon as the crew composition was announced, but could not believe that a ‘technical fault’ could have brought down an aircraft which I had trusted for so long and which was crewed by such professional aircrew. Despite these strong suspicions, I dared to hope that the initial media reports as to the type were correct (sorry to those fleets) – after all, that seemed to fit the ‘technical fault’ scenario better. Worst fears soon confirmed, however, followed by repeated sinking feelings as first the Sqn was announced, then the crew, the names and finally the pictures – utterly dreadful.

Served alongside and flew with Ade many times. Great, great guy. You taught me lots – thank you. A thoroughly professional, knowledgeable and experienced Flt Eng, excellent crewmember and proud father – especially with respect to his daughters swimming achievements if I recall correctly. Al, I never had the pleasure of flying with you, although I regard myself as a friend and colleague – another thoroughly professional aircrew mate who will be sorely missed. Still find it hard to comprehend that a technical fault got the better of you two – a bitter lesson for all of us.

To the rear crew, I knew a number of you but never flew with you; having heard some of the stories at the wake on Tuesday at Warton, it would have been a pleasure. The Nimrod community is worse off without you.

I would also like to add my condolences to the families of the two ‘specialists’ on board. Whilst I did not know you personally, I am sure you were very much part of the crew and will be missed equally as much by your respective families and colleagues. The two specialists who flew with CXX-6 in 2002 were very much part of the crew, both at work and play. Whilst airborne, they professionally completed their job even though working in an unfamiliar environment. On the ground, they became so much part of the crew that they were even banned from the Bar with the rest of the Nimrod det!

Finally, and without wishing to dilute the above or speculate, I would like to pass on my thoughts to the fast-jet mate who was ‘escorting’ the aircraft in its final moments. Must be difficult for any aircrew mate to come to terms with.

All of you were remembered with fond memories at Warton on Tuesday – many sore heads the following morning as we witnessed the MR2 flying again – thanks very much, very proud. Hopefully we will return the gesture with the MRA4 this coming week.

To those lost – you will never be forgotten.
To the families left behind – sincerest condolences, thoughts and prayers for the times ahead.
To CXX and Kinloss – thoughts are with you as you help each other pick up the pieces
To those deployed, or about to deploy, who are continuing the good work – be vigilant and fly safe.

God Bless

SA – CXX 97-02

BEE HIVE
9th Sep 2006, 20:07
FreddieQ - what wonderful words; they really struck a chord as I, like you, looked at the front page of the newspaper with utter disbelief that the faces in front of me, belonging to such good mates, were here no more. A fiitting tribute which I hope will be spoken during the memorial service.

Thank you.

mutleyfour
10th Sep 2006, 06:40
My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the Nimrod that sadly went down last week. I have to be honest and say that we may have brushed shoulders in the past during a visit to Kinloss but I didnt know any of you personally.

I am however fully aware of the work you all did, work that generally goes unnoticed due to the nature of it.

I also met a couple of your SQN last week whilst abroad and was touched by their comments about their lost colleagues. I can only empathise with you all.

God Bless

M4 - Army Pilot

thelivster
10th Sep 2006, 14:00
Words fail me. This poem hopefully reflects what flying meant to these wonderful colleagues. RIP

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds -- and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of -- wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew.
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

We will never forget you. D and G

cooheed
10th Sep 2006, 14:30
http://shutter11.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/03/007/7D/FB/DE/9D/ms2+Ae3kBB9kI3CqF7m5z4C5mBFegkj+0300.jpg

fergineer
11th Sep 2006, 05:32
To The OC men and women of CXX.
Tomorrow I shall be thinking of you all as the bodies arrive in Kinloss I am far away but will still take the time to remember, I only knew Adie and Gary so they will have special moments of rememberence but the rest shall be remembered for who and what they were.
A sad time for the families and members of the squadron.
Fergi Ferguson
Flight Eng
CXX crew 6
1979 to 1982

fixinflyback
11th Sep 2006, 21:04
Dinger and Michelle, I read the tributes to your brothers Gez and Ade and know what a desperately sad time this must be for you and all the families touched by this tragedy. I had the pleasure of Gez's company on the 42 Sqn reunion at Kinloss in April, when we shared a beer or two together. Ade was also a friend and ex colleague from his days on 51 Sqn when we were based at Wyton. Gareth and Garry were also known from my days on 42 Sqn and during my time at Kinloss. To all the families of these fourteen brave and dedicated men, I hope you can take some comfort from knowing you are not only in the thoughts of their many friends, but the nation as well. Not forgetting the members of 120 Sqn, the Royal Marines and the Parachute Regt, who have lost comrades, you are also in our prayers.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Per Mare Per Terram
Utrinque Paratus

God bless to you all, our prayers are with you.

Steve Moore
51Sqn Ex 42/203/206

cooheed
11th Sep 2006, 23:46
Well guys, I hope we can give you the best send off we can today. You and the families are all in our hearts.

Sparky Sliders
11th Sep 2006, 23:53
Deepest sympathies to all affected by this terrible tragedy, especially to the family and loved ones of the lost crew.

I had the pleasure of working on the Nimrod Sim from 92-01 and got to see first hand the skill, professionalism, camaraderie, and great humor of the crews. Many a time was a chocy bar or DCS offered with a grin in exchange for us not to fix the MCT, yet it was still given even if we did!

Sadly there were some very familiar faces amongst those lost, and one friend who I only got to know recently.

John, I can still see your grin as we chatted at the side of the road about the shower of sparks from your knee as you barreled into that right hander a bit too hot! From all of the lads from Forres with bikes who knew you, you will be deeply missed but never forgotten. So many good memories in so short a time, a credit to the man you were.

You’ll always be with us on the Sunday run mate.

Rest in peace guys.

enginesuck
12th Sep 2006, 14:24
Home at Last boys.

chappie
12th Sep 2006, 15:41
the repatriation was hard to watch as i was there back in feb 05 when my brother came home after his herc went down. my thoughts and love again are with family, friends, loved ones and all in the RAF community feeling the pain again today. home at last boys. god bless, rest in peace.

old-timer
12th Sep 2006, 20:18
I'm so glad the authorities respected the families wishes for repatriation back into Kinloss.
Words cannot suffice at these times, but godspeed to one & all,
true people of honour, as one, to the end.
Deepest respects to all & a toast of the best single malt on order all round.
We will remember them - always.

stbd beam
12th Sep 2006, 20:27
I really don’t fancy being at many more of these repatriations, today was hard.

I’ve edited a printer friendly version of this thread including ‘callsigns’, anyone needing a copy mail me at: '[email protected]'

The following is an extract from a book by a fighter pilot of the Free French Forces in WWII. He was writing about demobilization and leaving his Hawker Typhoon (Grand Charles) behind. Sometimes helps me through why we do these things:

I had that morning gone to say my farewells to Broadhurst and to the RAF. I had made a point of going to HQ at Schleswig in my 'Grand Charles'. Coming back I had taken him high up in the cloudless summer sky, for it was only there that I could fittingly take my leave. Together we climbed for the last time straight towards the sun. We looped once, perhaps twice, we lovingly did a few slow, meticulous rolls, so that I could take away in my finger-tips the vibration of his supple, docile wings.

And in that narrow cockpit I wept, as I shall never weep again, when I felt the concrete brush against his wheels and, with a great sweep of the wrist, dropped him on the ground like a cut flower. As always, I carefully cleared the engine, turned off all the switches one by one, removed the straps, the wires and the tubes which tied me to him, like a child to his mother. And when my waiting pilots and my mechanics saw my downcast eyes and my shaking shoulders, they understood and returned to the dispersal in silence.

Pierre Clostermann, 'The Big Show (Fortunes of War)' 1951.

Take care all, fly safe. Thanks Stu.

SB

Rent-An-Eng
12th Sep 2006, 20:37
Having been an usher at the repatriation ceremony I have to say that I am both immensly proud of my colleagues who sadly went to heavens crew-room and their families who attended this harrowing ceremony with pride, grace and dignity. Thankfully the 'VIP's remained out of sight as much as possible and left friends and colleagues to run the day. It was humbling to chat with Ades and Gary A's families who both were dignified in their justifiable and rightful pride in their relatives. Mrs R-A-E and I both send our best wishes to all families.
I have recently discovered that I knew both the para and the marine also, it was good to see their families being cared for in the best traditions of all 3 services.
I hope today has given all 14 families some help and relief, I was proud to assist all the families in their mourning, it certainly helped me to cope. Thank heavens the big fella upstairs gave us some unseasonal sunshine for Kinloss and helped make the whole day more bearable.
To the boys who were bearers, you carried out your duties extremely well and deserved all the beer in the mess you could drink.

To all who helped, C17 crew, QCS, marines, thank you all on behalf of the nimrod crews and families.

R-A-E

microlight AV8R
12th Sep 2006, 21:07
I too watched the repatriation today. I found it very hard as it rekindles personal memories of the loss of a close colleague in the line of duty. I watched as I felt I should out of respect. As I was working at home it would seem wrong to ignore the ceremony.

It still seems hard to believe that we should lose a 'Mighty Hunter' I have considerable respect for the Nimrod which , of course, would be only metal without her crews. An aircraft that portrays the image of utter strength and dependability.

Once again our fallen heroes have been returned to their loved ones with dignity in a way that others would struggle to match. Those who have passed away cannot suffer the hurts of this world anymore but those who are left behind must learn to endure. To those I send my heartfelt sympathy and salute your bravery at this sad time.

God bless you all.

Judge Rembrandt
12th Sep 2006, 22:16
My thoughts, heartfelt condolences and sympathy go out to all the loved ones; the families, friends and colleagues of all the crew who perished aboard Nimrod XV230. The RAF Kinloss ‘Family’ will look after our own, as we have done in the past. It will take a long time for the pain to ease, but ease it will – just as the boys would want it to.

I knew Al, Steve J, and Gareth from ‘guesting’ on 206/42 Sqn crews various and was always impressed by them. I brushed shoulders with Steve S and Leigh as they came through training and thought what great crew members they would make. Jez and Ade just always seemed to be in maritime and always a pleasure to work with. SBT, Q, GaryA & I were all crewed together for years. Always getting one another into – and out of – scrapes various! Ben ‘Tapper’ and John L were students here at Cranwell – Bright, young guys who were fun to instruct and be with. I am proud to have served with you guys and miss you. Will join you in the ‘scruffs’ at a later time.

Not to forget Marine Joseph Windall or Cpl Oliver Dicketts. Having worked with some of your colleagues in the past, would have been consummate professionals and fit right in with the crew banter and environment.

Many thanks to all concerned who brought our guys home today.

The crew : Your families should be proud of who you were, what you were, and what you achieved. You served your country and like so many others, have made that ultimate sacrifice.

From another time, when so many other fine young men paid the price for our freedom:

I dream now of another time,
Of soaring wings and slipstream whine,
Of airscrew arcs and engine drone,
And cloudy canyons I have known.

When towering columns split the night,
With brilliant beams of searching light,
Then in just moments we became,
Small insects, round a naked flame.

Time after time, we saw the cost,
To all who fought so well, yet lost,
For them a fiery plunge through space,
In another time, another place.

Time has not marred my grim old frame,
To your fading eyes I am the same,
Look well, all strangers standing there,
For I am the mighty Lancaster.

(From ‘Showpiece – Lancaster’ by Walter Scott 630 Sqn)
JP - Ex 206

Brain Potter
12th Sep 2006, 22:27
The homecoming ceremony was very dignified and moving. Those involved have upheld the finest traditions of our services. The BBC photograph fom inside the C-17 is more poignant than any words.
Condolences to the families and friends of the crew. To the Nimrod community - we are proud of you all.

gonesurfin
13th Sep 2006, 06:11
This tradgedy has been in my thoughts since I heard of it. My thoughts are mixed. Deep sadness at the loss, heartfelt condolences to the families and friends and also a joy at having had the privilege to have known most of these men. The kindredship of the Squadrons is such that I know I would have the same feelings for the guys I had not met. As with most, I have either flown or partied with these guys and will never forget them. Gez always told me things as they were, didn't matter if I liked it or not; always giving 110%, his opinion was always welcome. I had a great deal of repect for that approach. I wish I could have been there today...

It was beautiful, as long as it lasted, the journey of my life.

I have no regrets whatsoever
Save the pain I’ll leave behind.
Those dear hearts, who love and care,
And the strings pulling at the heart and soul….

The strong-arms that held me up
When my own strength let me down.
At every turning of my life I came across good friends.
Friends who stood by me even when the time raced by.

Farewell, farewell my friends, I smile and bid you goodbye.
No, shed no tears for I need them not
All I need is your smile.

If you feel sad do think of me, for that’s what I like.
When you live in the hearts of those you love
Remember then, you never die.

I will remember.

Nick Stokes. 201 Sqn wettie and AEO.

Autolocus
17th Sep 2006, 22:47
There are no words to describe the crushing feeling of loss at this terrible time. Our dear friends and colleagues have been so cruelly snatched from their loved ones. Mrs N and I send our condolences to all the families. Our thoughts are with you.

Rest in peace guys 'One and All'.

James_C
18th Sep 2006, 08:55
I hadn't thought of looking here, but my girlfriend found this thread and here I am.

I had known Cpl Oliver Dicketts my whole life. We grew up together in the same village, and as a boy he always had the best toy guns. Suffice to say, we were close. Losing him in this tragic incident has been quite a shocker, and if I'm honest, I'm not taking it too well.

I'm comforted to see that others on here, who knew the victims personally, are also feeling the same. I share your grief, and take comfort from all the best wishes from members of this forum, and the others I have seen.

His parents asked me to go with them to Kinloss last week for the repatriation ceremony. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, and I feel strongly for those of you that have had to go through this more than once.

As there seem to be so many of you here, I'd like to say a heartfelt thank you to all the staff and families at RAF Kinloss for their hospitality and warm welcome. In particular, special thanks to the RAF staff specifically assigned to look after Oliver's and Joseph's friends and family; the catering and mess staff for the refreshments and food, not to mention the whisky; to the Gp Captain that put the event together, and to the staff that took us to the Chapel of Rest. Last but not least, the pilots of the C17 that brought our friends home.

Also, to HRH The Duke of Endinburgh, thank you for coming to talk with us. You didn't have to, but I appreciate that you did, for your attention, and respect. How Oliver would have laughed to see you salute his coffin - thank you.

If there are any other relevant threads to talk to others on here, please would someone post links - I would be most grateful.

James

Flyingskygod
18th Sep 2006, 09:03
Didn't get to watch the repat but glad it all went well and that they got the home coming they deserved.

You died as heros and we will never forget.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

God bless.

santiago15
18th Sep 2006, 10:27
I have been unable to post on this thread until now; indeed, the tears are rollling down my cheeks as I write this now.

I knew all of the Nimrod guys and the Marine. A fantastic bunch of blokes....... the world is a lesser place without you all. My heartfelt condolances to the families who have to learn to live with the consequences of this tragic accident. I cannot imagine what you are going through; I can only hope that time will ease your pain.

All the best ones seem to go first. Presumably, the gods consider that they have more than justified their time and so take them back. The rest of us leave something to be desired; we have not fulfilled what is intended for us and so we remain.
Geoffrey Wellum
WWII Spitfire Pilot

James_C
18th Sep 2006, 10:30
I knew all of the Nimrod guys and the Marine.

I met Joe's family and friends at the Hotel, and over the day. Lovely bunch, and I feel particularly for his Dad Joe, his sister Marie, and his girlfriend Jackie. Lovely lovely people.

Avtur
18th Sep 2006, 15:08
James C

I am very sorry for your loss and am sure that your kind words words of gratitude would have undoubtedly impressed impressed Oliver.

I too lost a great buddy who I first met 20 years ago when I started flying on the "Brown Bomber" on 42 (TB) Sqn. Although we lost touch over these years because of postings and different career paths, I have always thought about the crazy times that Gareth and I had as young, aircrew "sarges" living in Newquay, and the $hit/ potential $hit that we managed to avoid.

Thankfully I got to see him recently (quite unexpected) and managed to fill in a few gaps and make our excuses why we lost touch... He was a fantastic guy who had a great family, and who I will always kick myself over repeatedly for not keeping in touch.

To answer your question; if you send me a personal message (click on Avtur) I will endevour to provide you with some contact details as requested.

Remember James; time will heal, but will never let us foget.

F34/35

cooheed
23rd Sep 2006, 20:11
Guys and girls, please spare a thought for the other 120 crew who came back yesterday. Their professionalism in getting on with the job after a massive loss bears tribute to them.

Tappers Dad
24th Sep 2006, 09:23
Hi I am Sgt Benjamin (Tapper) Knight dad.I just want to say thank you to all your messages of sympathy and support.He was a lovely boy who loved being in the RAF, his family are very proud of him and his crew who's lives were taken on on that fateful day.I would be grateful to recive any emails from friends with funny stories or fond memories of him.

Rest in Peace Ben , Rest in Peace

shandyman
24th Sep 2006, 17:45
Tappers dad. Please PM me with an e-mail address and I would be delighted to share some pictures of Tapper from a detachment a couple of years ago. Tapper and I were on the Fincastle crew 2003, and the subsequent Gulf trip over Christmas 2003. It was without a doubt, the best crew I have been priveledged to fly with. The fact that we were as professional as we were and had so much fun at the same time was partially down to Tapper's endless curiosity and attempts to learn as much as he could. I enjoyed his friendship immensely and am proud to have called him a friend. Hope to speak soon.

Yours, with respect . . .Shandyman

Siggie
27th Sep 2006, 16:06
Checked my logbook tonight, flew 48 sorties in XV230. Just started crying again.

condolences to all,

Phil Harker

xcbx
3rd Oct 2006, 23:53
I am Charlene Bell.
Gerard Bells daughter.
I have been reading over all the lovely things said about my dad on here and i would just like to thank everyone.
Some i have emailed personally, but others please feel free to get in contact.
I would love to hear more stories about him.
My dad had a very unique sense of humour as many have pointed out, and it makes me happy thats how people will remember him.
In my eyes he was perfect.
It breaks my heart that he has gone and i will never see his smiling face again, but he always told me he never wanted to get old.
At least this way he got one of his wishes granted.
Id only prefer that it was his wish to walk his 2 girls down the aisle.
Or for us to give him lots of grandchildren.
All i wish now is that i could see him one last time...
Even just to hear him to ask me to hoover the car. Again.
RIP Dad
All my love, your Daddys Girl xx

Tombstone
4th Oct 2006, 15:09
Just a quick one to put this thread further up the list for anyone who may have missed Charlene's post as it was posted in the early hours.

Kinloss must be some place, the sense of family belonging and unity on this thread has truly touched me.

RIP guys, I think of you all at least once a day & I never even knew you...

4fitter
4th Oct 2006, 15:19
Charlene

I am sure that your dad was very proud of you and in my simple eyes, your words bring dignity in an otherwise difficult time.

4f

hobie
4th Oct 2006, 20:25
Charlene,

print out the PPRuNe posts and messages and store them safely …..

add photos and other papers and messages about your father …..

and one day show them to your children ….

tell them what a hero their Grandfather was ….

a man who became part of RAF history ….

someone who will never be forgotten …..

Will you do that? …..

God Bless to you and your family …. Hobie

TeBoi
4th Oct 2006, 22:19
Charlene,
I read your amazing words, cried my eyes out and had to go through and read everyones posts on this subject.

Firstly, please let me add my sincerest condolences to you, your family and friends and those of the rest of the crew.

Secondly, as a father I know absolutely that your dad would be the proudest man in the world reading your message - so dignified and eloquently put.

God bless.

ZH875
4th Oct 2006, 22:32
Charlene, I think Hobie speaks for the majority of Pprune'rs.

In times of need, look to the stars, I am sure your father is up there looking down, smiling proudly ,with the rest of the guys.

Per Ardua Ad Astra.

ZH

Charlie Luncher
4th Oct 2006, 22:46
At 1100hrs local time Friday 13 Oct 06 there will be memorial held at RAAF Edinburgh by 92 Wg to remember our brothers in arms lost that fateful day. Will try to get someone to take some photos and post them on here,as I doubt I will have a steady hand.
Charlie sends

Mr Softeetop
5th Oct 2006, 13:53
Charlene our thoughts are with you all and all the families. It was a pleasure to have been associated with Gez, all those lost were known to us at some level.
The sun will always shine on our memories of them.

Your friends. x

Harpoon
16th Oct 2006, 18:35
Charlene, I knew Gez from Kinloss and worked alongside him for a while at Waddo. He was without doubt one of lifes gentleman. With his disarming manner, dry sense of humour and common sense approach to both life and people, he was in short irreplaceable.
He spoke of you once over coffee, mentioning how proud he was of you and the whole family. Take comfort in the fact that you and your family will forever have a guardian angel looking down on you from above.

Regards, Harpoon.

Dave Allen
16th Oct 2006, 20:25
My thoughts and prayers are with the families.
I have nothing but admiration for the dignified manner in which you have handled yourselves throughout this impossible time.
Respect also to friends and colleagues at Kinloss who have done a remarkable job in such difficult times.
Just been told about the thread. It is reassuring to see so many old mates from over the years contribute in such an erudite and compassionate way and gives me great solace to know that we are all here for each other.
RIP guys.
DA

Lomon
17th Oct 2006, 14:58
RIP all.

Seems odd, it seems like only yesterday that I was talking to AS at BAS, and wishing him well for his next trip....

Deadly fruitbat
3rd Nov 2006, 15:58
All those parties interested in dates for the Nimrod crew lost in Afgan, most have been published today and should be available from 120sqn ops on x7628 at kinloss.

regards DFB

xcbx
3rd Nov 2006, 21:32
If anyone would like to know, or knows anyone who would....

The funeral of Gerard Bell is to be held on Thursday 16th November at 11am at St Lawrences Church, Forres.

JAFO1
4th Nov 2006, 12:34
I served on the kipper fleet 98-01 and knew some of the crew. My thoughts are with all the families at this time as well as my former comrades at Kinloss.

All the best!

Steve Austin
4th Nov 2006, 14:49
A number of us are still out in Eglin with the MRA4, but should be returning mid-Nov. Would be very grateful of any information, via PM if required.

TVM

cooheed
5th Nov 2006, 01:43
We are all on your side Charlene. God bless xx

dirtydavies
5th Nov 2006, 19:28
my name id carla davies, im ady davies' 2nd eldest daughter, more commonly known as "the swimmer" i believe.
ive wanted to write a post on here for a while but never really knew what to say. ive spent hours reading through all the lovely comments on here and i just dont know how to thank you all enough. as a family we've had so much support, and to read how many of your lives my dad touched makes me so proud to be his "swimmer" daughter. i know he'll currently be moaning about all the fuss thats being made over him but for once he'll have to accept it =) he arrived home in forres yesterday and we have arranged his funeral for 27th november. i have to echo charlene's comment about gez not wanting to get old, we have been mocking dad about turning "half a century old" all year, but atleast now he can turn round and laugh at us all =)

i hope this finds you all well, and thankyou again for the amazing things you've said about my dad, "mr nimrod" =)

love carla
xxx

FJJP
5th Nov 2006, 21:12
Carla,

I flew with your Dad on many occasions - he kept me well in check and on the straight and narrow!

I wept openly when I discovered he was lost in Afghanistan - he was one of natures nice people.

I share your loss.

God bless you and your family. he is looking down on you right now, proud of his loving daughter.

With love,

FJJP

cyclic
6th Nov 2006, 00:57
Carla

I am an ex FE from Kinloss and your words and strength are an inspiration to us all. I knew your Dad and he would be, as you know, so proud of you.

God bless.

twicedried
6th Nov 2006, 12:48
Having lived and worked at Kinloss for the last 4 years my family and I had the sheer privildge to know and work with a lot of the crew of the fallen Nimrod and we have both been so openly touched by everyone fabulous words of praise and love they have sent to the families and friends of these brave men. We just wanted to leave a message of rememebrance to all who fell on 2nd September and to those we miss so dearly.

Leigh a.k.a "The hoff" Your beautiful (your wifes word not mine!)smile and sunglasses (how many pairs!!??) will shine in my memory forever, we know you will always looking down on Claire, Faye and Hayden. My heart is filled with sorrow.

Tapper, buddy, words can not express what a gap you leave, but it is one that can never been filled.

To all 14, heros all, may you soar like an eagle in the starry sky

Twicedried

cooheed
12th Nov 2006, 20:36
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
May God be with you and bless you;
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.
May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

little em
19th Nov 2006, 13:57
Hi Carla
you perhaps won't remember us from Finningley. My husband was a FE instructor same as your dad. You and your 2 sisters used to go to tap and ballet classes in the village hall next to the NAAFI with my 2 daughters , their names are Samantha and Emma Law. It was just a quick message to let you all know that we are thinking about you all and send you our love . Take care Lynn Lawmy name id carla davies, im ady davies' 2nd eldest daughter, more commonly known as "the swimmer" i believe.
ive wanted to write a post on here for a while but never really knew what to say. ive spent hours reading through all the lovely comments on here and i just dont know how to thank you all enough. as a family we've had so much support, and to read how many of your lives my dad touched makes me so proud to be his "swimmer" daughter. i know he'll currently be moaning about all the fuss thats being made over him but for once he'll have to accept it =) he arrived home in forres yesterday and we have arranged his funeral for 27th november. i have to echo charlene's comment about gez not wanting to get old, we have been mocking dad about turning "half a century old" all year, but atleast now he can turn round and laugh at us all =)

i hope this finds you all well, and thankyou again for the amazing things you've said about my dad, "mr nimrod" =)

love carla
xxx

Wossie
25th Nov 2006, 12:51
CHASING THE SUN
A roar fae the black pitched dark N' cauld
The rain side oan, an'feelin auld
Tae a light appears ti break the day
She's back an' safe a feelin' say.
Gently she swings her lang' sturdy wing
A Jet blast ballet, so mighty a thing
Fae planet toap an' right aroon'
kept safe an' fu' till we sail ti 'groon.
But its oor turn noo ti keep yous' weel
We'll work till night an tired feel
In noon-tum' sun o' middle east
Tae cauld O' polar huntin beast.
Fae the edge 'O heaven tae grun pluswan'
Through clood' N' snaw and desert saun'
Stood side, aside shared tales si' tall
Heard one, telt two we sang them all.
If you flee oors' then we'll fix yours
We'll meet fur wine an' soup d'jour
Gee us drink, we'll see us right
Ave' done it many a' foreign night.
But yer job's nae done, no' by far
Fur in heaven there lies an Airforce bar
Whaur ye'll aw be lookin doon an' by
The souls wi' your love in their eye.
But noo' dear brothers rest in yer peace
Ken yer best was faur' fae least
Like dogfish fly or punch's rum
A'll see ye on the big det', keep chasin' the sun.
Steven Davies
Ex - Nimrod Ground Crew
1996 -- 2005
Copied from the Kinloss website an excellent tribute:D

XW420
27th Nov 2006, 12:06
Just a quick post to bring this thread back to the top because, if the timings are the same as Friday, then about now the windows in Forres will be being rattled as we say farewell to Carla’s dad.

We saw Gary Q off in style on Friday and I defy anyone who saw Angela march out of the crem wearing Q’s hat not to crack up!

God speed Crew 3 - 120 Squadron

Tim Hawkes

PS – The kippers were as good as ever.

Stretch182
27th Nov 2006, 12:24
Have to agree with Tim - GQ will have been well chuffed with the send-off. And Angela is the strongest 13 yr old I have met in a long time.

Many thanks to all at ISK.

RIP GQ

Mike Eck

SirToppamHat
27th Nov 2006, 19:37
Agree with Tim and Mike E.

Angela was amazing and she and Rayna did so well to keep it together - I wish I had their courage! It was great that the service was about GQ and not focused on religion or RAF - well done the Padre!

Lots of tears, but no-one needed to feel embarassed. I thought I'd cried my last until Angela left the Crem wearing Q's hat, whereupon yet more emergency hankie duty was required!

God Bless - our thoughts are with your family. Look forward to reading about Q Minor's diving exploits in the KS Mag - lovely of the Club to offer to teach Angela to dive as Q would have wanted!

I hope it all went well today.

Simon

OilCan
28th Nov 2006, 00:31
Well we've just seen the last of the crew through their final debrief -

Ade Davies - the Air Engineer - departed the kirk to the strains of the Beachboys - Absolutley Priceless....

Carla - You and your brother are an inspiration to us all....

God bless you.:ok:

RIP - CXX crew 3

Radar Riser
2nd Dec 2006, 17:14
Hey my Dad "Q" would have very greatful that you all came to his funeral on Friday 24th November. Mum and I were very greatful of how many people had a great time as thats what Dad would have wanted. I am soooo gald that everyone shares a good memory of him when he was drunk or sobur.
RIP Dad don't go causing to much trouble up there with all those other angels! Love you loads Dad think of you all the time.
Angela Quilliam "mini Q"

Tigs2
2nd Dec 2006, 18:38
Radar Riser (Angela)
I don't know you and i didn't know your dad, I have spent 24 years flying in the airforce. I just wanted to say, i am touched by your comments, and i am so sorry for your loss, best wishes to you and your mum.
One last thought young lady, i suspect that in between times of "making too much trouble up there "(and i hope that he is:) ), i think that you have probably made him one of the proudest dads ever. My grandmother (from Scotland) always told me that no one dies until people stop thinking about them!, i think with you, your Dad is in fine hands. God bless
Tigs

dodgysootie
2nd Dec 2006, 19:18
God bless you love, I know everyone who knew 'Q' will miss him very much. I had the privilege of working with him out in theatre up until that fateful day, albeit as a groundy, I just want you to know that he often talked about you and your mum and he loved you very much. I am sure he will be in the Carrisbrooke in the sky right now having a pint of 'real beer with a head' and a ciggy. He will always be watching over you, now and forever. Take care of yourselves, and Angela, look after that hat! XXX
DS

Radar Riser
3rd Dec 2006, 16:58
God bless you love, I know everyone who knew 'Q' will miss him very much. I had the privilege of working with him out in theatre up until that fateful day, albeit as a groundy, I just want you to know that he often talked about you and your mum and he loved you very much. I am sure he will be in the Carrisbrooke in the sky right now having a pint of 'real beer with a head' and a ciggy. He will always be watching over you, now and forever. Take care of yourselves, and Angela, look after that hat! XXX
DS

Thankyou for the message it is well nice. I bet he is up in the heaven carisbrooke he would go anywhere else. Who are you??? lol

dodgysootie
6th Dec 2006, 12:59
Hello, Mini'Q''
I met your mum briefly outside the Mosset whilst having a smoke. I'm the one wearing the "gopping" orange shirt with Q and Gez in the Omani Sgts mess.
Take care
DS

Tappers Dad
21st Dec 2006, 21:21
On christmas day please make a toast to absent friends and think of those lost on 2nd September. And pray it doesn't happen again. RIP lads

cooheed
21st Dec 2006, 22:08
We will never forget

Mr Point
21st Dec 2006, 23:28
On christmas day please make a toast to absent friends and think of those lost on 2nd September. And pray it doesn't happen again. RIP lads

I'll certainly be raising a glass, and I dare say the boys will be having a drink or two at the bar of the Orange Park Holiday Inn in the sky. RIP lads.

Terry K Rumble
22nd Dec 2006, 06:03
To Tappers Dad and to all the families and friends of all those that were lost, Jane and I will be thinking of you all this Christmas time. It will be painful beyond belief for you I know, but I hope you have been able to take some comfort in the many wonderful words that have been written on this forum about your loved ones. They were all very special people.

We will never forget them, have no fear of that. Their memories live on in our hearts, just as they do in yours, and we all share your sadness, especially at this time.

I too have no doubts that 'the boys' are all watching down on us from above at some great big bar in the sky, singing songs, telling jokes and doing what aircrew do best....having a bloody good laugh!.

We're all thinking about you guys, and the pain still hurts like hell.
God Bless

Terry & Jane

old-timer
23rd Dec 2006, 19:08
Thinking of you all;
families, friends & absent friends at this xmas time,
kindest wishes & thoughts to one & all.

We visited St Clement Danes last wekend & were pleased to see
our lost friends are being remembered there too.

Deepest respects - they were a special crew, godspeed.

AdanaKebab
23rd Dec 2006, 19:45
They say the bad days come in threes.

I was working at the CAOC in Al Udeid that fateful morning. A Dutch F16 had crashed with the loss of the pilot the day before and there was a blue on blue event between the A10's and Canadian ground troops the day after.

I had the A10's on scene at the Nimrod site very quickly after reports of the explosion. There was nothing we could do. It all happened very quickly.

My sincere condolences to all the families.

Charlie Luncher
24th Dec 2006, 03:02
As I prepare to look after the families of one of our returning crews, I can't help but think of friends, comrades, brothers and sisters in arms who are missing their loved ones at this time of the year.
I have a bottle of fine port which I will raise to you all sleep well friends.
Charlie sends from the colonies

Radar Riser
27th Jan 2007, 10:35
Thanks for all the support you have gave us all. i'm sure my dad would really appreciate it.
'He used to fly with the birds
now he flys with the angels'

Bethany Beattie x

Tombstone
29th Jan 2007, 10:16
I've pretty much stayed out of this thread other than passing on my condolences however, after watching BBC news this morning I felt compelled to pass on my heart felt sorrow for the families attending the service today.

I had tears in my eyes whilst getting dressed this morning and I seem unable to escape the mood.

My thoughts are with everyone at RAF Kinloss today.

chappie
29th Jan 2007, 16:32
i too wish to pass on my love and thoughts to the families today. it brought back alot of memories for the memorial service that we had for the boys who were killed when the C-130 hercules was shot down in iraq jan 05. it was a beautiful service lacking in one thing only....ten fine men. tomorrow, it's two years to the day i lost bob and i feel like my heart has been ripped from me as much now as i did that day. i am sad to say i know how you feel, thankfully we are one of few, albeit growing number. we must always stick together. let us remember them and never never forget, the people they were, the professionals they strived to be and the hole that they leave in our lives and that of their friends, colleaugues and community. wishing you love and light, and remember keep the faith.

stickmonkeytamer
29th Jan 2007, 18:50
Today's memorial service was a fitting tribute to all of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice on 02 Sep. We all now know, after the tribute from the Stn Cdr, a little bit more about each of them. Hopefully, everyone smiled at hearing something new about each one.

I forgot how much colder it is oop north though!!! :E

SMT

dirtydavies
31st Mar 2007, 10:30
i just thought i would let you all know, thursday 29th march was the annual sunday mail young scot awards ceremony in city halls, glasgow. the "Children of RAF Kinloss" won the "readers choice award" for their bravery and courage over the last 7months. i think there will be something in the sunday mail paper tomorrow.

carla davies
(flt sgt ady davies' 2nd daughter)

cooheed
31st Mar 2007, 14:02
There's a video here

http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/sundaymail2/RAF%20Kinloss.wmv

TheSmiter
31st Mar 2007, 14:11
Carla, many congratulations to all of you for this award. You are an inspiration to young people faced with tragic events and your Dads would be rightly proud of you.

Colonal Mustard
31st Mar 2007, 18:50
"Years of happiness".......Says it all.......Well done....speechless:D

chrisdavies
1st Apr 2007, 10:16
Hi my name is Chris Davies, wife of Ady Davies Eng on 120 sqn Crew 3. I would like to thank from the bottom of my heart, everyone who has been in touch or passed messages to us since that dreadful day the 2nd Sept 2006. Our lives were turned upside down and will never never be the same, but thanks to all the kind words and thoughts of support from all of you out there we are struggling through each day. My children, Hayley, Carla Suzanne and Glynn have been a tour of strength to me and I know that without them I would not be able to continue. I am so proud of them words cannot say enough and so would Ady be - they were his life. For all 18 children so sadly affected by this tragedy this Sunday Mail Readers award has been fantastic - for them to have this recognition from the outside world for what they are going through is wonderful. To my wonderful husband - god bless my love till we meet again. xx

LongLive206Sqn
2nd Sep 2007, 09:55
One year on and I still think of them all the time. My thoughts are with all those left behind. We will remember them - always.

DuaneDibley
2nd Sep 2007, 10:08
LongLive206 - fine words and ditto, today I'm also thinking of my friends from CXX of 11 years ago in Toronto. Best wishes to all the loved ones.

dodgysootie
2nd Sep 2007, 10:47
My thoughts are with all relatives, friends and colleagues of all those onboard XV230 a year ago today. I will be raising a glass or two this afternoon to you all. Per ardua ad astra.
DS

Shack37
2nd Sep 2007, 11:25
Thoughts with family, friends and all at Kinloss today.
"They shall grow not old"
s37

enginesuck
2nd Sep 2007, 17:56
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/rocco565/tribute004.jpg

RIP

Stretch182
3rd Sep 2007, 23:04
I too spent yesterday thinking about my mate Gary (Q). Raised a pint or two in his memory - real beer (with a head on it)

The Swinging Monkey
4th Sep 2007, 07:08
Yes, I too had a bit of a sad session last night with a few mates where we just talked about the guys and all the good times we had spent together. So many funny and lovely stories to tell about them all. (afraid I am suffering just a little this morning)

To all the people at ISK involved in this, but especially the children, wives and families of the guys lost, your loved ones are still very much in our hearts and minds. There is rearely a day goes by when I dont find myself simply staring into space and thinking about them all. There is usually a tear aswell.

You are an inspiration to many, and I am humbled to know most of you.

God Bless guys and RIP.
TSM

shona beattie
10th Nov 2007, 15:57
To my darling husband and best dad in the world we miss you so much, and to all the wonderful guys of crew 3, XV 230, there is not a day that goes by that we do not remember.

We will remember always and forever. RIP XXX

FATTER GATOR
10th Nov 2007, 16:09
We will remember them.

Tappers Dad
10th Nov 2007, 16:32
“I’ll lend you for a little time a child of mine” He said.
“For you to love the while he lives and mourn for when he’s dead.
It may be six or seven years, or twenty two or three,
But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He’ll bring his charm to gladden you, but should his stay be brief,
You’ll have his lovely memories, a solace for your grief.
I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn.

I’ve looked this wide world over, in search of teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd life’s lanes, I’ve decided upon you.
Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call to take him back again?”

I fancy that I heard them say; “Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
For all the joy this child will bring, the risk of grief we’ll run.
We’ll shelter him with tenderness, we’ll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we’ve known, for ever grateful stay.
And should the Angels call for him, much sooner than we planned,
We’ll brave the bitter grief we’ll feel,
And try to understand.”

Love you Ben
Show those Angels what flying is all about. RIP Crew 3 XV230

http://www.benknight.co.uk/images/white-astrid-rose.jpg

kweelo
10th Nov 2007, 17:52
To my good pal - Gez,

I only knew you for a year, you hated working at Waddo and were desparate to get back to Kinloss and flying the 'Mighty Rod' You touched so many lives and helped me in my hour of need (when others wouldn't)and helped me move home, driving my wagon (how you turned that wagon on a sixpence I'll never know!) It was good fun being on shift with you and takin the mick out of Gunner tho! My old man often said to me, never have any regrets son - however, that animated discussion you had with my (Scottish) father-in-law on malts and which Whiskey was the best, you had both tried most of them between you! I just wished you had let me buy a bottle of your favourite tipple as a token of mine and my families thanks.

God bless mate, you and your crew(mates) are sorely missed, because of you and the courage you showed, I am able to sit in my front room and raise a glass to you all.

RIP fella

Lest we forget

olddog
12th Nov 2007, 13:09
I placed a poppy cross in the Garden of Remembrance in Princes Street Gardens for the crews of XV230 and the Toronto and Kinloss crashes.

Rest easy friends and look down kindly on those you left behind. You will always be remembered.

I have a photo but can't work out how to post it. If anyone would like a copy PM me with an E Mail address)

Old Dog (ex 42,51,203,206,120 and 236 OCU)

Creeping Line Ahead
4th Dec 2007, 09:02
Thoughts and sympathies with all the families and the guys at Kinloss on what will be a difficult day.

CLA

Brian Dixon
4th Dec 2007, 10:49
My thoughts are with all those affected by the terrible loss of XV230, especially today.

With respect,
Brian

Siggie
4th Dec 2007, 11:26
Gary Andrews,
We always said he was the Cliff Richards of Maritime, he looked about 16 years old all of his life.
Thinking of you all at this difficult time.

shona beattie
13th Dec 2007, 20:56
So sad it was so avoidable, so negligent, we have all lost so much, for so little to change. Miss you so much Steve.

Judge Rembrandt
2nd Sep 2008, 13:59
To the friends and families of all who perished aboard 230:

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

My sincere apologies for not being able to attend todays memorial service at the NMA but be assured you and your loved ones are often in our thoughts.

We'll raise a glass tonight boys.
JR

23CVT
2nd Sep 2008, 19:13
A Nimrod, I believe, flew low south of Coventry earlier this evening. I only managed a brief glimpse but it was a stunning sight. Made all the more poignant by the date.
With respect to all concerned.

airsound
2nd Sep 2008, 19:43
I had the honour today of attending the Second Anniversary Memorial Service for Crew 3 of No 120 Squadron Royal Air Force, at the National Memorial Arboretum.

I’m not a Nimrod person, so I don’t know some of the people who were there today. But I did meet some friendly faces that I had seen at that fateful inquest in Oxford. It was a great pleasure to see them again.

For anyone who hasn’t been to the National Memorial (I hadn’t), I strongly recommend it. It is.... just a lovely place.

We gathered by the part of the wall where the names of the fourteen who were lost two years ago are inscribed. The resident chaplain at RAF Kinloss, The Reverend Father Squadron Leader Bob Halshaw presided over a lovely remembrance, and - a nice touch - he invited anyone who had brought a token of remembrance to place it at the foot of the wall before we started, so that it could be seen whilst we remembered those who had been lost.

A trumpeter from the Royal Air Force Regiment Band played a stunningly lovely Last Post and Reveille. She (yes it was a she) clearly realised, as she started to play, that the acoustic at that wall, in the open air, was unusually vivid. She played accordingly, and the sound was heart-wrenchingly beautiful. Her name was Ruth, and I’m sorry to say I didn’t find out her surname. But she is clearly a musician of entirely appropriate standing for such an occasion. I don’t believe there were many dry eyes when Ruth’s last notes faded away into the wispy cloudscape over Alrewas.

Afterwards we moved to the Royal Air Force Wing, where there is now a Nimrod bench. It has a lovely informal plaque, which just says (I think) “in memory of lost Nimrod mates”. Despite much research, Father Bob hadn’t been able to find a form of blessing for a bench, but he did a pretty good job anyway. Then everyone gave the bench a try, and lots of pictures were taken.

It had all been organised by Mick Bell and his family. (If I’ve missed out other people who were also involved, I apologise. No offence intended.) Mick is the brother of Flight Sergeant Gerard Martin Bell of Crew 3. Mick's distinguished knowledge and evidence contributed much to the deeply important inquest verdict of Coroner Andrew Walker.

It was a lovely day, and there was a cross section of ages there, from grandparents to young children. I hope very much that they were comforted in their sadness by the informal majesty of the place and the gentle beauty of the occasion.

airsound

KeepItTidy
2nd Sep 2008, 20:01
Share same thoughts with all today ,being out here and having two CXX crews do there job today as normal and go off into the unknown , proffesionals just like Crew 3 and great lads/lasses to work with.

We all had a few beers in DD tonight and like everything the matter was not brought up but in back of everyones mind they still there.

Respect and a sad time , thoughts with all the families today

monkey88
8th Sep 2008, 09:35
Its been over a year since I last looked at the Posts.

Some lovely comments on here....

Judge Rembrandt
9th Mar 2009, 21:12
DFM,
Thought I saw 'Sailor' playing Soldiers again - and you should know better at your age! Excellent effort for an extremely worthy cause :D - could you post a link in order for us to donate please?
Cheers mate -
JP