PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft tow - using strobes when crossing live runway

keel beam
1st Sep 2006, 15:50
I recently was on the brakes of an aircraft tow. Part of the tow crossed a live runway (the tractor driver was in contact with ATC). As we started to cross the live runway, I switched the strobes on until we were clear, then switched them off. After the tow I was advised by the tractor driver that strobes were not used when crossing a live runway as he was in contact with ATC. My question is - what is the correct procedure for a towing aircraft crossing a live runway with regards to using, or not, strobes?

GT3
1st Sep 2006, 15:53
I think (but will stand to be corrected) that Nav lights and rotating beacon are all that are required for aircraft under tow at night.

121,9_za
1st Sep 2006, 16:44
I would also think that it would be a requirement, as they are supposed to tell you when they are towing a "dead" aircraft, i.e no lights. Will be interesting to see what the law says.

747-436
1st Sep 2006, 16:54
What happens when the aircraft is being towed by a Tow Bar Less Tug, no one up in the cockpit to switch the strobes on.
My understanding is that the lights on the tug are enough for this sort of Operation.

This is a crisis
1st Sep 2006, 17:22
I have not got the book in front of me but I believe the ANO requires that, at night, an aircraft under tow should display those lights it is required to display in flight - i.e. Nav Lights and a red anti-collision light if fitted. During the day there is no requirement.
The practice of displaying strobes when crossing or entering a runway has developed I think as a 'best practice' measure following the famous incident at EGLL when an aircraft made a very low go-around with one lined up. (I think the aircraft on final could not see the one on the threshold.
Certainly, where I work, if you give an aircraft line up clearance, just before they enter the runway most will activate white strobes. One particular operator will also switch them on when crossing any intermediate runway.

renard
2nd Sep 2006, 17:09
On the Avro RJ series of aircraft, strobes work on a weight on wheels switch, and will not flash until the aircraft gets airborne.

This is a crisis
2nd Sep 2006, 19:42
Come to think of it...I think it may have been an AAIB recmmendation following the EGLL incident that strobes should be displayed whilst on a runway....unfortunately, can't find the said report on the AAIB site.

keel beam
2nd Sep 2006, 20:44
Thanks for the inputs on this. Just for info the Anti Col beacon was on and also the position lights.

loubylou
2nd Sep 2006, 21:33
I don't believe that it's a requirement - however if you are crossing an active runway then by all means do as you did - anything that makes you look more visible in that scenario can only be to the good. I can't think of a single controller who is going to complain about you doing that

louby

tired
2nd Sep 2006, 22:08
Pilot's viewpoint - loubylou is spot on, anything that makes you more visible is a Good Thing.

My company (UK longhaul) SOP require that we switch the strobes on anytime we are on, or cross, a runway. I'm under the impression that the CAA has made it mandatory for all G-reg aircraft, but I might be wrong. Even if correct, I'm not sure whether it would apply to a/c under tow.

But, whatever the law says, see point number 1 above........

IShotTheSherif
7th Sep 2006, 09:24
I don't believe that it's a requirement - however if you are crossing an active runway then by all means do as you did - anything that makes you look more visible in that scenario can only be to the good. I can't think of a single controller who is going to complain about you doing that
louby

Exactly my sentiments.

I am all for what you did by switching the strobes on...