PDA

View Full Version : ATCO eyesight test

kansai
1st Sep 2006, 03:51
I am applying to become an ATCO and have a question about the ATCO version of the JAR CLass 1 medical for eyesight....

For the JAR Class 1 medical the CAA says that you must pass the Ishihara test, and if you can't do that then you must pass an approved lantern test.

For my own peace of mind I have taken the Ishihara test locally and will take a lantern test next week. I can get most of the questions right in the Ishihara but do have difficulty with some. As I suspect that I failed an RAF medical on colour vision 12 years ago, I am a little anxious.

My question is,

Are the rules for colour vision for ATCO and pilots EXACTLY the same, or are they slightly less strict for ATCO? (The CAA says that the eyesight medical for ATCO "generally" follows the JAR Class 1")

I don't see any posts on the forum colour blind thread so I hope that someone can help here.

KIX

SM4 Pirate
2nd Sep 2006, 00:21
As far as I know, passing the Ishihara plate test is required for new recruits.

Existing controllers can do other forms of testing to 'prove' their eyesight in terms of colour perception; but new recruits are excluded if they can't pass the Ishihara plate test. Well that is the way it is down here in Oz.

2nd Sep 2006, 09:12
Which CAA are you referring to, bearing in mind that your location is Japan?
Different states may have different criteria, or is this a wind-up?

airac
2nd Sep 2006, 22:18
PLEASE WRITE IN CAPS AS IT'S EASIER FOR ME TO READ:rolleyes:

kansai
4th Sep 2006, 23:43
Thanks for the repplies and advice.

BTW - it's not a wind-up

I am applying to the UK ATC - NATS. UK CAA.

I am overseas but will be returning to the UK for the selection process - obviously a very expensive process. Therefore I want to try and get as much infomation on all the relevant steps as possible.

If anyone has any information on the process if you DO happen to fail the Ishihara test. Is that the end of the road?

Thanks in advance.

shgsaint
5th Sep 2006, 00:41
Hi Kansai,

I've spoken to someone I know that is an ATCO. Apparently his colour vision is not brilliant. Passing the first couple of Ishihara plates and thats it.

When he did is ATCO medical he struggled after the third or fourth plate. So he did a lantern test and didn't even pass that 100%. He failed a couple of lights but apparently they were not essential to pass.

He ultimately was good enough and passed as 'colour safe' and has gone on in his ATCO career with the ATCO class 1 medical.

This is positive news for me as I do wish to pursue an ATC career. Whether I've got what it takes or am medically eligable is another matter but i'll certainly try.

I don't think failing the Ishihara plates means a straight fail but I could be misinformed.

Somebody might be able to clear it up more accurately than I have. If you need any more info let me know.

kansai
6th Sep 2006, 09:07
Thanks for that reply - most helpful and encouraging. Will be back in the UK next month and will call on the people who know at CAA.

Thanks again.

Guy D'ageradar
16th Sep 2006, 19:41
I can confirm what shgsaint says as it all happenned to me (in the UK) in 1996 (I think!!).

Failed Ishihara with a very mild red/green problem, resat both Ishihara and lantern test one new set of contact lenses and several months, I think, later. Initially, they were not too impressed but when informed I was only going to control with my class one and not fly, it was approved. Never had a problem since.

Good Luck :ok: