PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a BFR?

Human Factor
30th Aug 2006, 19:39
I'm planning on going on holiday to Florida in a couple of weeks, assuming it hasn't blown away, and I'm thinking of doing a bit of flying. I got a FAA PPL issued on the strength of my UK licence a few years ago although I've never used it. It's only valid when it's accompanied by my UK (JAA) licence. As such, do I need to do a BFR as my UK licence is in check and I fly in the US most weeks in a G-reg aircraft?

In practice, I'll have to do a check with a club anyway so I guess they would be combined but it would be nice to hear the definitive answer. I've asked four people so far and got four different answers.....

dublinpilot
30th Aug 2006, 19:44
The simple answer is yes. The FAA see it as a PPL which needs a biannual flight review in the exact same way as if if wasn't based on your CAA one.

dp

Human Factor
30th Aug 2006, 19:47
Thanks. Seems logical enough.

Fuji Abound
30th Aug 2006, 19:59
As others have said the only correct answer is yes but .. .. ..

you can get BFR done in the UK before you go. This has a number of advantages, not least a saving of time and worry when you arrive for your holiday. If there are any issues on which you are not current (and in particular you may find you are rusty on American air space) you can get these sorted out before you go. Do remember there is a theoretical comment to the BFR unlike in the UK and you can fail.

If you take this route you will only need a check ride in the States to satisfy the instructor you are competent on type.

derekf
30th Aug 2006, 21:41
As others have said the only correct answer is yes but .. .. ..
you can get BFR done in the UK before you go.

If you've got to do a checkride why not combine it with the BFR and do it at the same time.

formationfoto
31st Aug 2006, 05:42
My understanding is that the answers you have so far are correct however this does seem illogical. If you can have a temporary airmans certificate issued on the basis of your CAA / JAA licence then providing your CAA / JAA licence is current you can get an FAA cert issued without any flying or verbal theory test. Why then should you have to get a BFR?
Person A turns up with CAA licence and gets a temp cert and is able to fly immediately.
Person B turns up with CAA licence and has to do a BFR. All because person B has botered to get an FAA licence in the past and has probably therefore donw more flying in the U.S than person A.

See the logic?

NuName
31st Aug 2006, 07:03
Being issued with the restricted cert does not itself make it current.
If you have a foreign pilots' license and you received a restricted USA license, then you will need to take a BFR before the restricted license is valid. You can accomplish this by scheduling at least one hour of ground and one hour of flight with a FAA certified flight instructor.
100% What is sometimes forgotten is, the FAA are decent enough to recognise your foriegn licence but they do require you to maintain it in the same way as others have to ie BFR at all times within the preceeding 24 months.