PDA

View Full Version : Someone from Asia wants to train in US

arms2serve
30th Aug 2006, 14:04
Hello everyone

Can someone please tell me if I go to US on an M-1 visa to get my pilot licenses, will I be able to find employment in the US. I currently have no flying experience and am willing to go there, train and work over there.

I'm a citizen of Pakistan and I'm concerned that after the 9/11 will the Asian nationality will be a drawback. Can anyone working in the US carriers tell me if there is any sort of bias in recruitment. That is my BIGGEST concern, as I am willing to spend a lot of my money and it'll be sad to be in such a situation.

Also can u guys please tell me which school is the 'Harvard' of all flying schools, with the most prestige, best training and the best connections with the airlines, and what is the total cost from zero flying hours uptil ATP or Type Rating.

Thank you.

Regards.

B2N2
30th Aug 2006, 17:19
You are NOT allowed to work on a M-1 visa.
A simple Google search will bring up this;
http://faq.visapro.com/M1-Visa-FAQ.asp

I'm a citizen of Pakistan and I'm concerned that after the 9/11 will the Asian nationality will be a drawback. Can anyone working in the US carriers tell me if there is any sort of bias in recruitment. That is my BIGGEST concern, as I am willing to spend a lot of my money and it'll be sad to be in such a situation.

Not to burst your bubble but it will be very hard to get a job in the US, regardless of background or nationality.
There is still a very large number of US pilots milling around waiting for that one big opportunity.
Apart from rare occurences, you really need a couple of thousand hours to be competitive for a job interview.
The large carriers (Delta, US, NorthWest, Continental) require a LOT of jet time to even be considered for an interview.

Also can u guys please tell me which school is the 'Harvard' of all flying schools, with the most prestige, best training and the best connections with the airlines, and what is the total cost from zero flying hours uptil ATP or Type Rating.

US ATPL requires 1500 hrs of which 500 hrs XC. If you can afford to rent an airplane for 1500 hrs do something else.
Schools in the US are fairly deregulated, the large 4 will promise everything up to airline interviews and everything, read the small print on their websites, US citizens only.

FlyinLow
31st Aug 2006, 05:20
Have you looked into Canada, the cost of your training would be cheaper here. You won't be scurtnized that much for having a Pakistani passport. Also in this career there are no job garantees, the canadian job market has shown some momentum but who knows how it will last. Look into some Canadian flying school, have about $40,000 canadian set aside to compete your CPL/Multi IFR.

arms2serve
31st Aug 2006, 11:38
A few guys I know went to the US for engineering on M-1 and got employed and haven't come back, probably on H-1B visa. I guess there's the difference... "got employed".

The other problem is that even if I have to come back most countries here don't give much credit to the FAA license as they mostly follow JAA, but still not sure about my own country. The aviation scene is so stagnant over here that it's rare to find some working in an airline, let alone being a pilot!

flyboyike
31st Aug 2006, 11:54
The other problem is that even if I have to come back most countries here don't give much credit to the FAA license as they mostly follow JAA, but still not sure about my own country. The aviation scene is so stagnant over here that it's rare to find some working in an airline, let alone being a pilot!

What about the Pakistani Air Force? Is that an option for you?

arms2serve
31st Aug 2006, 12:35
There are actually 5 flying schools in 5 major cities of Pakistan, including where I live. They take almost 2 years for a CPL/IR with 200TT but at a reasonable cost when compared to US or Europe. And would u believe, many people get selected in the national airline PIA by doing just that, CPL/IR with 200TT. All it takes is a selection process BUT having a strong connection is essential, usually someone in the army, government or PIA. Only someone on a high post will do, a general, a minister in the parliament of a top manager in PIA. :ugh:

Pakistan Air Force is another route but I have passed their age limit and also only handfull are selected. Even after that knowing someone still counts.

flyboyike
31st Aug 2006, 22:50
All it takes is a selection process BUT having a strong connection is essential....

Sounds a lot like the US.