PDA

View Full Version : Any clue what this is??

The Sandman
30th Aug 2006, 05:04
Was asked the other day what the yellow bracket was on the top of the wing. (See yellow 2 hole bracket on top of wing in this shot - http://web.mit.edu/lavin/www/shockwaves/a320whole-wing.jpg)
Have to say I didn't have a clue. Has to be too weak to be used in any lifting capacity (that's what jacks are for anyway) but just wondered if there's anyone out there who might have the answer?

AKO
30th Aug 2006, 05:07
I was always told mechanics tie their safetyy harness to the rings as they work on the upper surface of the wing.
AKO

Antman
30th Aug 2006, 05:08
That's for the escape rope found in the overwing emegency exit. The idea is to feed the rope through the bracket and then use in to climb off the wing
down the hopefully fully extended flaps.

Tarq57
30th Aug 2006, 06:23
down the hopefully fully extended flaps
And if they weren't, it's probably not going to be so far to the ground, anyway:E

Frank Poncherello
30th Aug 2006, 06:52
Antman, never heard such tosh!! :8

It is a harness securing point as already stated (most of the time, factory workers wear "booties" that cover their hard shoes),.....

A slither of metal that stepped on can create a scratch which, twenty years down the line, could affect fatigue life,....

FP

matkat
30th Aug 2006, 07:31
Yip, its the safety harness attachment point.

parabellum
30th Aug 2006, 07:48
Well Frank, you may think that Antman is talking 'tosh' but on the B737 he most certainly isn't! It is used as a securing point for the emergency rope contained in the frame of the overwing exit. It has an additional use as a rigging point, and it would seem you like to secure your harness to it as well! Next time you see a cabin crew ask them what they believe it's for!:ok:

FCS Explorer
30th Aug 2006, 07:50
well, obviously this is an airbus wing. so maybe it's an engineer's safety whatever.
BUT the B737NG with it's fancy swing-open overwing emergency exits has an emergency rope stored in the frame of the aft (if there are two) door/window frame. the book says:
"... they serve as a temporary steadying grip on the wings for the pax AFTER DITCHING..... ABP snaps hook in yellow painted fitting on the wing"

why? because it is assumed that after a ditching the trailing edge flaps are a mess and torn to sharp bits, so the pax go swimming via the leading edge.

and if this is an airbus-harness-thing, what if u have to work on the far end of the wing???? if u take a 10 meter rope u might as well fall of the side!

30th Aug 2006, 07:59
Same use on the 747!

It is very interesting how swiftly somebody who is posting here is being accused of writing 'tosh'. I never heard of our Tecs using it for harnessing either. But it may very well be the case also.

Getoutofmygalley
30th Aug 2006, 08:51
I think that ring is also used by the over wing escape slide, if the slide FAILS TO INFLATE properly or DEFLATES DURING AN EVACUATION.

According to my airlines ops manual, it says you attach the slide to the ring whilst getting pax at the bottom of the slide to hold it tight (yeah right! :} )

I might be wrong, but going by the diagram in the manual, it does look like it attaches at this point.

Jet II
30th Aug 2006, 10:02
It is for clipping on the escape rope.

As FCS Explorer pointed out it is of no earthly use to engineers working on the wing - we use wing-grip equipment :)

BOAC
30th Aug 2006, 10:18
.........and I always thought it was the hook where the wing 'lift' attached in flight.:)