PDA

View Full Version : Any New Zealand controllers out there?

USA ATCER
30th Aug 2006, 04:42
I am looking to get some info on controller pay and working conditions in New Zealand. I would also like to get some info on the recruiting process. Thanks.

Dan

TinPusher
30th Aug 2006, 06:35
Hi Dan

In the first instance have a look at www.airways.co.nz which may provide a starting point for you. Airways needs bums on seats and have recently been recruiting qualified radar controllers from around the world to make up the numbers required.
Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have but unfortunately I don't have the current salary scales to hand but will do my best to answer any other questions you may have.

TP

USA ATCER
30th Aug 2006, 15:28
I've applied through their website for their experienced controller program and have been told I am being considered for area/approach. I'm a controller in the USA and moving there would be a MAJOR lifestyle change. Anyway, I will pm you with a few questions. Thank You in advance.

Yellow Snow
31st Aug 2006, 22:48
Anyone have any info on conditions, pay, lifestyle etc?

TinPusher
1st Sep 2006, 06:37
Airways doesn't have the facility to stream direct onto Approach radar due to contractual obligations with the union. You will find that if you are streamed onto radar it will be onto the Area/Enroute sectors.
The national radar centre is located here in Christchurch so all training and your final posting would be to there. They are also short in towers around the country so if they were to offer you one of those positions you would find the initial training would be at the Training Centre in Christchurch followed by on the job training at whatever tower they sent you to. We currently have 5 direct hires onto Area training at present, from Ireland the UK and Europe.
Airways offers a superannuation plan where you pay 3% of your base salary into the fund, matched by a 6% payment from Airways. We are employed on a base salary plus an allowance of up to 30% (depending on the sector) to cover penalty rates. I don't know what the rates are for new hires but probably around $nz60-70k plus penal rates for radar direct entries, lower for towers.
The union (NZ Airline Pilots Association-ATC Council) has a loss of licence scheme that provides benefits amounting to 3 times (I think) of your base pay should you loose your medical for any reason. Airways pays for your biannual medical as well as a spectacle allowance should you need them.
Working conditions are pretty good, we operate the Lockheed Martin Skyline system. Rosters are based upon a 4on 2off or 6on 3off cycle that is designed around maximum traffic flows and cover a 24hr period.
You can be required to return to work on your days off to cover sickness etc however you will receive overtime payments for the days worked, with a maximum of 1 call back in 10days or 2 in 32days to prevent fatigue. During any given shift we can work a maximum of 2hrs on a radar position or 2.5hrs on planner. Shifts are generally 6-7.5hrs long.
Airways offer a number of other initiatives such as an employee assistance programme where if you were have problems of any sort they will pay for counselling and the like.
Living in NZ is pretty good I but being a Kiwi I guess I'm biased. Perhaps some others who have made the move here recently would be in a better position to judge than me. Goodluck and maybe catch you down under!
TP

Yellow Snow
1st Sep 2006, 10:16
Cheers TinPusher

Spuds McKenzie
1st Sep 2006, 10:59
Expect about 50k NZ Pesos after tax in your pocket a year.

Milk products, cars and consumer electronics are expensive.
In general the ratio income/expenses is unfavourable.

Houses are poorly insulated (if at all). Double glazing is not standard, neither is central heating. Christchurch winter temperatures drop regularly below 0°C at night.

The problem with the superannuation plan is, that it is only paid out as a lump sum, not as a monthly pension, so forget about retiring at 55 (not affordable).

Micro management is unfortunately not uncommon (especially on Area).

USA ATCER
1st Sep 2006, 21:15
Expect about 50k NZ Pesos after tax in your pocket a year.

Milk products, cars and consumer electronics are expensive.
In general the ratio income/expenses is unfavourable.

Houses are poorly insulated (if at all). Double glazing is not standard, neither is central heating. Christchurch winter temperatures drop regularly below 0°C at night.

The problem with the superannuation plan is, that it is only paid out as a lump sum, not as a monthly pension, so forget about retiring at 55 (not affordable).

Micro management is unfortunately not uncommon (especially on Area).

Spuds,

Are you a controller in NZ or are you passing information that you heard through the grapevine?

Dan

Spuds McKenzie
1st Sep 2006, 21:24
Dan,

Check your PMs.