PDA

View Full Version : FAA CFI wanting to instruct JAA PPL students..

5dayz
28th Aug 2006, 06:34
Hi all,

I am an FAA CFI wanting to complete a course to allow me to give JAA PPL instruction in the USA. I also hold a CAA issued PPL/MEP/IMC.

In searching on PPRUNE and google I understand that I can complete a course by a JAA authorised FI and pass a skills test given by an examiner authorised by the CAA. ( taken from CAA standards document 39 section 3.6.1 )

However in section 3.6.4 this states that this training is for flight instructors that do not hold a JAA licence. BUT then goes on to say that holders of a professional JAA licence have to hold a flight instructors rating.

My question is, am I exempt from attaining this authorisation due to my CAA issued PPL as this is a JAA licence, or does this limitation specifically refer to professional JAA pilots, ie not me as a lowly JAA PPL? :confused:

Any help in interpreting this would be a great help, as would any advice from any CFIs in the USA that mabe doing this..

--5dayz

( Reference -- http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_39.PDF )

SD.
29th Aug 2006, 12:50
I had the same problem recently when the CAA came out with this BS that if you hold a JAA PPL then you must hold a JAA FI to teach CAA students overseas.

The scenario we had was yank CFI's that had never seen the CAA PPL syllabus and yet they were 'allowed' to teach the JAA PPL. Then we had the Brit CFI's that held a JAA PPL and know the syllabus as we was taught it and then the CAA tell us we can't teach it. Typical CAA, what a load of old bo**cks.

It got to the point where one of the Brit CFI's with a JAA PPL phoned Gatwick and requested that his license to be revoked and removed from the records. That way we could continue teaching overseas and complied with these ludicrous CAA rules. To cut a long story short, we never handed back our JAA PPL's to the CAA and was authorized to continue teaching. Since then I have trained 6 JAA PPL's whilst holding a JAA PPL myself/FAA CFI.

5dayz
2nd Sep 2006, 00:03
SD. Thanks for your reply.. it seems like the CAA are 'protecting' the interests of the UK training scene.. albeit in a way that defies logic!

The standards document seems to be written badly, failing to make this position clear.. I read some minutes from a JAA meeting a while back, I cant remember where, but it did point out that CFI's could circumvent the JAA training sylabus to teach JAA students by doing the FAA route... I guess this addition to Doc 39 was a result of that meeting.

If I had problems I would probably have my JAA license revoked too...:}

Lightning_Boy
2nd Sep 2006, 23:31
I gained a JAA FI without holding any type of JAA licence. It was based on my FAA CFI, but my work collegue did have a JAA PPL and got his FI at the same time as me and nothing was said....this was about a year ago so I'm guessing its fine!

Just sitting my last set of ATPL exams at gatwick and was wondering if my FI will be issued when I get the CPL skill test done?

LB :ok: