PDA

View Full Version : Start now or wait ?

spitfires rule
27th Aug 2006, 17:04
Hi everyone
I will be starting ground school on Sept. 19 and I was wondering whether I should start my flight training now or wait until the spring due to the fact that the weather becomes quite bad in winter. Now should I start now and get about 10 hours done before the weather changes or should I wait for spring? Thanks for your input
Spitfires Rule

stickandrudderman
27th Aug 2006, 18:06
In the UK a wait for weather would be an eternal one! Start now!:ok:

UV
27th Aug 2006, 19:15
It'll never be cheaper either!
UV

pilotho
27th Aug 2006, 19:48
totally agree, start now or wait and regret

spitfires rule
27th Aug 2006, 20:12
Ok thanks guys:ok:
The only problem that I was thinking of was that I would forget certain things during the winter break and then have to relearn them.
More suggestions and comments appreciated.
Spitfires rule

pilotho
27th Aug 2006, 20:18
i think the things that you learn early on sticks with you...

things like turning, climbing, descending

fact that you would have done these would mean you would not have to waste those limited still good spring weather.

in the end things you learn about flying usually sticks with you. more complicated things like landing may need a recap but would come back quite quickly

Happyeater
27th Aug 2006, 21:07
Had some absolutely superb flying weather in September and October. On some winter, frosty, calm days the views can be awesome.

Get flying.

Zulu Alpha
27th Aug 2006, 21:51
It depends on how much training you will do each week.

I always recomend planning to finish your training in Spring so that you have the summer with your new licence to get some easier VFR flying in while the days are long. Getting your licence in October will mean you run the risk of getting rusty over the winter when weather and short daylight hours will restrict the amount of flying you can do.

So if you start now doing 2 hrs per week you'll be doing the dual work while the weather is bad, you may get some delays due to weather as you come onto the solo stuff but you should be finished by Easter in time to try out your new licence over the summer.

Whirlybird
27th Aug 2006, 22:19
You can get fantastic clear weather in winter, then "March winds and April showers" making it unflyable. You never know what British weather is going to be like, and you can have weeks of unflyable vis in high pressure summer weather too. Start now. :ok:

kevmusic
27th Aug 2006, 23:08
You can get fantastic clear weather in winter, then "March winds and April showers" making it unflyable. You never know what British weather is going to be like, and you can have weeks of unflyable vis in high pressure summer weather too. Start now. :ok:

He's in Canada!

Whirlybird
28th Aug 2006, 06:58
Ohhhhh........I should give up posting late at night, shouldn't I. :(

Whirlygig
28th Aug 2006, 07:21
You will also find that the ground school is harder without the practical experience to support the theory. Air law, met, human factors, navigation and comms exams will be so much easier when you can see the theory in context and are "doing" it for real!

Cheers

Whirls

Lister Noble
28th Aug 2006, 07:24
Whirlybird,
I was about to post the same,and it's morning!
Saved by Kev;)
Lister

spitfires rule
28th Aug 2006, 22:14
Thanks again everyone :D .I guess I will start ASAP which I dont mind :) Ill tell you guys how its goes.
Spitfires rule