PDA

View Full Version : PArking brake ON

ZAGORFLY
23rd Aug 2006, 03:43
Somebody have landed an A340-600 with the Parking brake ON?
when? where? Who?

Airbubba
23rd Aug 2006, 04:23
Don't you get an ECAM alert if you try to set the parking brake in the air on the 'bus?

chandlers dad
23rd Aug 2006, 04:48
Cannot do it on ours without lots of funny lights popping up on the EICAS!

Tom Sawyer
23rd Aug 2006, 06:19
Is this what you mean?
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1050502/M/
Not sure how it happened or circumstances.

22N114E
23rd Aug 2006, 07:42
Following landing and approaching the high speed exit, understand someone reached for the Taxi Camera, but got the Park Brake instead. Location similar, but shape very different. Read a quote associating 70kts with the incident.

ZAGORFLY
24th Aug 2006, 03:58
Thank You Tom!
It appear to me that she was on the runway. I heard exactely the story of the wrong switch.

How thay have misunderstod/ confuse the action to turn a switch to a "pull up and turn 90 degree clochwise" action required by the Parking brake is only a chinese mistery.
Anyway, Apparently Airbus offered to paid for the damage and promptly remouve the Camera switch in another location (at list in the A380 Cockpit layout)

ohm
24th Aug 2006, 21:49
Don't you get an ECAM alert if you try to set the parking brake in the air on the 'bus?

Negative . No ECAM alert .

ZAGORFLY
26th Aug 2006, 23:33
on my sim if you set the parking brake you get no aural ecam but definetely you get an ecam message. I have tried last night wile ferring my angry paxengers o Kaohsiung. cheer!

A-3TWENTY
27th Aug 2006, 05:56
I know a fellow pilot who set the parking brake of his 737 in flight and wasn`t able to release it afterwards.
He declared an emergency , prepared the cabin , fire fighting equipment waiting for his landing , and.......when he turned final and set the landing gear down the parking brake released by itself.

The end of the story you imagine....

And another story of a guy in FK-27 who ser L/G lever UP on ground to prove to his cop.that nothing would hapen. This time it hapened.One main strut came up....

I definetely believe there are things you can not even touch whe you are not required to....
Just leave it there or do it in the sim....

Good flights....without experiences...

;)

hetfield
27th Aug 2006, 08:17
http://p.airliners.net/photos/middle/2/0/5/1050502.jpg

China Eastern:suspect:

DC-8
27th Aug 2006, 11:45
Incredible picture!!! :eek:

What are the yellow bags?

hetfield
27th Aug 2006, 11:53

Don't know but very good centreline tracking.....:)

A330ismylittlebaby
27th Aug 2006, 13:33
Maybe the plane was shopping at netto:p

wombat13
27th Aug 2006, 17:37
Don't know but very good centreline tracking.....:)

They just might have a few people at the field who would want to move the aircraft without wondering why it is there........... I joke not.

Said yellow bags (one would hope), draw attention.

DanAir1-11
27th Aug 2006, 19:56
I believe the bags facilitate the collection and storage of the 'guilty party's' somewhat shattered 'ego' :) :E

HotDog
28th Aug 2006, 02:35
Not familiar with Airbus parking brake system but every aircraft I operated on, both brake pedals had to be fully depressed before the parking brake lever could be set. In addition, a parking brake indicator and an anti skid hydraulic light indicator would illuminate; apart from enabling the voice recorder bulk erase cicuit. All this on a steam driven classic. Hard to belive that Airbus systems would be inferior to this standard.:confused:

ZAGORFLY
28th Aug 2006, 02:49
so then, coul it be an antiskid (ABS ) malfunction?
loking 12 breaks simultaneously is quite a rare even.

cwatters
28th Aug 2006, 07:32

Ice probably?

Hot Rod
28th Aug 2006, 07:52
Not familiar with Airbus parking brake system but every aircraft I operated on, both brake pedals had to be fully depressed before the parking brake lever could be set. In addition, a parking brake indicator and an anti skid hydraulic light indicator would illuminate; apart from enabling the voice recorder bulk erase cicuit. All this on a steam driven classic. Hard to belive that Airbus systems would be inferior to this standard.:confused:

On an Airbus you just have to turn the handle and the parking brake is on.

This system is electrical and the operation you are talking about is true for a mechanical system.

junior_man
28th Aug 2006, 08:20
On the A 320s I flew, the only indication would be that the park brake memo was on the ECAM but it was amber. No need to touch the brake pedals to set the parking brake on an airbus.

F4F
28th Aug 2006, 08:23
Strange... I always thought that most airplanes anti-skid systems are equipped with, amongst others, a feature preventing the brakes being applied in just such a case.
So the anti-skid of the mighty A340-600 must also be at fault :hmm:

HotDog
28th Aug 2006, 08:25
Hot Rod, junior_man, thanks for the info, not a very idiot proof system.:sad:

aidey_f
28th Aug 2006, 08:45
There's a different design philoophy to the Boeing.
With the Airbus, the park brake can also be used as a last resort to stop the aircraft should the brakes fail and the end of the tarmac still be approaching. (I think it's refered to as Ultimate Braking in the FCOM).
For that case you want as little as possible that could interfere with the command pathway and drop you in the drink at VHHH for example. At least this incident demonstrates that it works.

junior_man
28th Aug 2006, 09:37
I think that while (whilst) most aircraft are equipped with locked wheel protection in their anti skid systems, all that I can remember do not have any antiskid function when the park brake is set. Typically the park brake system closes the antiskid valves to prevent any brake pressure from bleeding off that way.

No of an A 319 that landed with the park brake on in the US. ground the wheels down to the bearings. Did stop pretty quickly though.

HotDog
28th Aug 2006, 10:21
Yes, that's how it works on the 747. Setting the parking brake closes the anti skid module return line to prevent parking brake accumulator leakage through the anti skid valves.

Joetom
28th Aug 2006, 15:24
Think I read about Airbus 340/600. Parking Brake can be used to slow/stop the aircraft if the pilots like, belive it's called the last chance or ultimate brake, seems to have worked ok in the picture.
Would think Airbus are happy with the result. If it happons again, guess parking brake knob or cam knob will get moved.
Anybody know how fast aircraft was going when brake set..???
posted this on tail end of page 1,sorry....

767 Super
30th Aug 2006, 02:24
Surprised this incident hasn't been mentioned yet.
www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/ (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/)

glhcarl
30th Aug 2006, 03:49
Surprised this incident hasn't been mentioned yet.
www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/ (http://www.dauntless-soft.com/Products/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/)
I love the picture that shows the severed jury brace. However, someone installed the gear pin in it anyway, I guess too make the gear safe.

Wombat35
30th Aug 2006, 22:27
Very impressive ....

Did you hear the one about the aircraft (RAAF) that TOOK OFF with the park brake ON :eek:

The crew were the only one's that didn't realise the wheels weren't operating in an approved manner (rotating).... Pax knew, didn't say anything... ground staff saw it and yep.... didn't say anything.

And yes they landed, with the park brake still on.... well "Pake Brake - Off" wasn't in the checks :p

No major damage apart from 4 blown tires.

The AvgasDinosaur
31st Aug 2006, 09:38
Wasn't there a bad accident in Alaska with a heavy DC-8 series 60 that attempted take off with the brakes frozen on. ITIR there were melt patches on the taxiway way where it had been held.
Be lucky
David

huv
31st Aug 2006, 10:41
Yes. Anchorage. Icy runway so the crew did not notice locked wheels until too late. The DC-8 overran and broke apart. Afterwards some of the passengers found themselves standing in 3-4 feet deep lake - of jet fuel. No fire. Don't remember casualties.

the_hawk
31st Aug 2006, 11:13
If you refer to the 11/27/1970 accident of a DC-8 MAC flight @Anchorage, there was a fire...and 47 casualties.

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR72-12.pdf
http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19701127-1&lang=en

NutLoose
31st Aug 2006, 11:51

They are to keep the Captains P45 from getting wet :rolleyes:

I remember the skid marks at Gibralter where a Grimrod landed with the brakes on........ stretched the length of the runway :)