PDA

View Full Version : LHR LPO Advice

SOHCAHTOA
21st Aug 2006, 22:31
I have applied for the LPO position at LHR and was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers on research and preperation. I have the relevant sections from MATZ 2 and I am trying to memorise stands, taxiways, links and holding points. At the moment it seems like I am trying to squeeze 4 pound of proverbial into a 2 pound bag :)

I will be trying to arrange as many visits as I can to the tower, in order to get as familiar with the operation as I can. Is there anything I should concentrate on studying beforehand so I dont waste anyones time with daft questions whilst there.

Thanks for any advice

Soc

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2006, 07:00
Good luck - take plenty of valiums, get six more pairs of eyes and a few more brains and you might stand a chance!!

Seriously - I DO mean good luck... it's fantastic job, busiest ATC position in the world and must provide great job satisfaction when you can do it.

sr562
22nd Aug 2006, 15:25
I went for the position last year, and reccommend your idea of going on as many visits as possible.

I managed to learn the taxiways and most of the stands from the a/d layout, but its completely different when in the tower. I never passed the assessment, but this was because i never went on a visit, and i was told this on the feedback.

The assessment is quite relaxed, and provided you put in the work you should get on fine.

Best of luck

autothrottle
23rd Aug 2006, 09:50
MATS PART 2, CAP 168 (AERODROME LIGHTING SECTION), BAA HEATHROW INTERIM REPORT-CONTAINS INFO ON EASTERN APRON DEVELOPMENT ETC ETC. Send me a Pm and I will help you!;)

ATSA_Grunt
17th Sep 2006, 15:17
Have applied for this post before. I was asked the following on my interview..

1. How many turn offs on 27R
2. Describe how the lighting system works and what type it is (they will send u a briefing pack which contains this info)
3. Will ask u what taxiways an A/C uses to get fm 1 point 2 another, so learn all taxiways
4. Runway lengths
5. App lighting and runway lighting
6. Stand information
7. Show you pics of A/C and ask u 2 identify them
8. Show u tail planes and ask u 2 tell them the company

Thats about all I can remember, but it was very intensive. Oh, and some appalling HR questions....

Whats yr favourite colour and why?

My answer, cause it was out of nowhere... " Blue ", when asked why, I replied " cause its the colour of the sky and thats very important":ugh: !!!!!!

Might suggest under NO circumstances you use the above answer!! LOL! What a dufus, but then, what an incredibly stupid question!! But, HEY! Thats HR for you!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Sep 2006, 20:49
ATSA_grunt.. Your experience proves two things. The person asking the technical questions was doing precisely what was required to determine suitable candidates for just about the most difficult job in ATC. The HR person was having problems deciding what colour to paint his/her bathroom...

ATSA_Grunt
18th Sep 2006, 11:23
LOL. Seen 2 of your posts today. One made me extremely sad, and that one made me smile. Thaks Bren