PDA

View Full Version : bomb squad sweeps delta airlines a/c

daz211
20th Aug 2006, 11:28
delta airlines flight 6492 20/aug/06
atlanta-san-antonia

us bomb squad sweeps a/c and passenger detained after
the crew found him moving ceiling tiles and tampering with the smoke detector onboard the flight

ContIgnt
20th Aug 2006, 17:37
Cannot find this story on any news feed ...

Where are you getting your information ?

daz211
20th Aug 2006, 17:57
got new from another site i will pm you

ContIgnt
20th Aug 2006, 18:13
Sorry Daz,

I cannot find any link or reference to this story on Google or any of the private message links you sent me ... :ooh:

daz211
20th Aug 2006, 18:35
sorry cant find it anymore
but it was on www.airline-news.com (http://www.airline-news.com)
flt DL6492 from atlanta to san antonio

flash8
20th Aug 2006, 19:05
suspicious pax offloaded, bomb squad sweeps, terrorist plots on unimaginable scale, pakistani/us woman with alleged bomb... all in the last week or so.

Why don't we just start a new forum just for these events? You think I'm a jokin'? Well, these are now happening on an almost (daily) basis ... at least thats what we are being led to believe :)

None
20th Aug 2006, 19:43
While I am not familiar with Delta's flight numbers, 6492 and other flight numbers that large/high do not normally represent flights of the mainline company for most major airlines.
Could it have been a Delta Connection aircraft instead of a Delta Airlines aircraft?

baggersup
20th Aug 2006, 20:11
The Associated Press
Sunday, August 20, 2006; 12:14 PM

SAN ANTONIO -- A passenger who was detained after flight attendants said he tampered with a bathroom smoke detector was determined to be "not suspicious at all," the FBI said Sunday.

The passenger, a San Antonio man whose identity wasn't released, was questioned Saturday after flight attendants reported suspicious activity. Explosives experts swept the Delta Air Lines plane after it arrived from Atlanta but found nothing.

daz211
20th Aug 2006, 20:13
Im not sure or delta's code share's or connect

but the details i have are

flt DL6492 20/08/06 (a/c Embrear 170)
dep ATL 1548
arr SAT 1710

Two's in
21st Aug 2006, 02:34
Operated for Delta Connection, based out of SLC by Shuttle America. Republic Airways Holdings, based in Indianapolis, Indiana, is an airline holding company that owns Chautauqua Airlines, Republic Airlines and Shuttle America. Delta Connection being one of their revenue streams.

http://www.shuttleamerica.com/

Story(if you could call it that) here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA082006.01B.AirportScare.35f6a83.html

Bomb squad searches jet after crew member's concern

Web Posted: 08/20/2006 12:59 AM CDT

Sheila Hotchkin
Express-News Staff Writer

A flight attendant's suspicions prompted a bomb squad search of a regional jet Saturday evening at San Antonio International Airport, but nothing dangerous was found.
Authorities briefly closed two gates as they moved the jet — operated by Shuttle America, a Delta Air Lines affiliate — away from the airport's terminals, but other flights were not delayed, airport spokesman David Hebert said.

The flight had left Atlanta at 3:48 p.m. with 46 passengers, Delta spokeswoman Katie Connell said.

As it approached San Antonio just before 5 p.m., a flight attendant noticed that a passenger was spending an "inordinate" amount of time in the lavatory, Hebert said. When the man emerged, the flight attendant inspected the lavatory and saw that some ceiling panels apparently had been moved.

The man was detained after the jet made its scheduled landing and arrived at its assigned Terminal 1 gate, Hebert said. Other passengers were allowed to leave, and two K-9 teams boarded the plane to investigate.

One of the police dogs showed a great deal of interest in the lavatory ceiling, Hebert said. The other dog showed less interest.

The plane was moved away from the terminals to a more remote part of the airport, and the bomb squad did a more thorough sweep. It finished up at about 8 p.m., finding nothing.

The FBI questioned the passenger into the night, FBI spokesman Erik Vasys said. Agents determined that he had tampered with a smoke detector. The man's name has not been released.

The plane was returned to the airline, but it did not make its last scheduled run, Hebert said. Passengers from that flight were put up in hotels.